• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers at Chicago Bears - Winners and Losers

Jeremy Igo

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean he was a weak college kicker.  He played at VT for 4 years.  Best season ever was 76% on his FGs and averaged 72% in his college career.   

how is his kicking career irrelevant? I mean people are talking about replacing what they deem as an unclutch and inconsistent Gano with this dude. 

Do you have any context for that percentage?  Did VT attempt a high number of unrealistic kicks, the hail mary variety?  The difference for Gano and Slye for me is that I've watched Gano and I know the context of his misses.  I don't know the context of Slye's career.  I do know that he's worked hard on his craft and his ability still hasn't peaked.  The evidence I have for this is that he's still drawing NFL interest.  The only chance a guy like this has is to show out when he has an opportunity, he did that last night.  It probably earned him another look.  I doubt he makes this team, but he may very well do enough to get a job somewhere if he continues to perform in the preseason the way he did last night.  This is an interesting read as well: https://www.panthers.com/news/swole-kicker-joey-slye-inches-closer-to-fulfilling-promise-made-to-late-brother

And for the love of Panthers please stop suggesting I'm suggesting we replace Gano with Slye.  I haven't suggested that once.  I have complained that Gano isn't worth his contract, period.  And don't forget my comments are nested in "winners/losers" thread of preseason game 1!  Slye was def a winner last night.

50 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Yes, if your kicker sucks Gano is a tremendous upgrade.  If your kicker is above the sucking line then very few teams are taking on Gano's contract.  I've never stated once that Gano sucked, I'd even acknowledge he's above average most of the time.  His contract is elite though.

It’s slightly high and I definitely preferred we kept Butker on a rookie deal for cap savings but what’s done is done, and even with him being tied for 3rd highest paid kicker, he’s still only .5M above the 14th highest paid kicker, not really a significant amount and he’s definitely better than Brandon McManus.

6 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Slye was a winner last night.  Nailed the 55 yard fg with no problem.  If he continues to kick well, it could get him looks with other teams if we don't keep him.

A commentator for the Bears made a comment on Twitter last night that Slye was winning their kicking competition. 

Hopefully he’ll continue to look good and find a roster spot somewhere. 

LOL, are we back to disregarding data again so soon?  I'm getting whiplash here...make up your mind.  By all means, clutch your pearls and advocate replacing "streaky" Gano with someone who averaged a whopping 10% less on field goals in their respective careers...now that's what I call torpedoing logic.

I think we would all love Slye to be a HOFer and replace Gano.  So far in Game 1, he looked pretty promising.

Missed extra points are inexcusable. You literally have one job.

Pulling a 60+ yarder out of your ass one time doesn't make up for the numerous makeable kicks he's missed over the years that have cost games if not seasons. I think 2016 turns out way different if we beat Denver in the opener.

10 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Missed extra points are inexcusable. You literally have one job.

Pulling a 60+ yarder out of your ass one time doesn't make up for the numerous makeable kicks he's missed over the years that have cost games if not seasons. I think 2016 turns out way different if we beat Denver in the opener.

His worst game here was probably Super Bowl 50, followed by Week 17 in 2016 when he missed two kicks in like the last five minutes (that one I excuse bc we lost, moved up in the draft and got McCaffrey).

The missed 19-yarder in the 2017 playoffs against the Saints, the game-clincher last year he missed against the Seahawks and the missed extra point in Detroit stick with me.

6 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Slye was a winner last night.  Nailed the 55 yard fg with no problem.  If he continues to kick well, it could get him looks with other teams if we don't keep him.

6 hours ago, mjligon said:

It’s a shame he’s on a team that is too obsessed with average joe graham gano to make a move at kicker

After last night, I want them to pull the trigger on Slye.  I keep all the games and start watching them  at the beginning of summer leading up to the start of season.  Gano missed enough kicks for it to matter last year.  And he is starting to have some repetitive injury issues.

14 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

After last night, I want them to pull the trigger on Slye.  I keep all the games and start watching them  at the beginning of summer leading up to the start of season.  Gano missed enough kicks for it to matter last year.  And he is starting to have some repetitive injury issues.

Slye made 72% of his FGs in college.  Gano was at 92%.  Now granted, Slye kicked 4 and Gano 1...but even if you cherry pick Slye's best season it was only 76%.

Archived