• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers at Chicago Bears - Winners and Losers

Jeremy Igo

49 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We aren’t paying for him to lose 4 games in 2016 or missing a couple kicks in the Detroit game and losing a game we never should have lost.

The VT kid hit a 55 yarder last night that had more than enough to be a 63 yarder and had touchbacks as well.

Gano isn’t a kicker we can count on at all and we are paying him like he’s a top K. Our head coach lost faith in him in 2016 and 2018. Unfortunately, our man had a career year in 2017 and he had 0 50+ yarders. I recall everyone wondering why Ron never tried him except 1 time (he missed). Thank goodness that career year ended in a blown chip shot that would have given us a chance at a 37 yarder to beat NO.

Another example of someone who uses observational data only when it conveniently suits their narrative.

Ron lost faith in Gano and doesn’t trot him out to kick any long field goals in the past couple years or to tie the game against Detroit - “Ron knows best, Gano sucks”.

Ron plays *insert vet here* over *insert rookie here* - “Ron is such an idiot, always favoring vets over rookies. He’s a fool when it comes to personnel decisions”.

You can’t trust Ron’s judgment only when it’s convenient. By your logic, if Ron plays Torrey Smith over Curtis Samuel this year, it’s cause Torrey is better and we can’t count on Curtis.

Do you think Gano all of a sudden developed a strong leg and was able to hit 50+ yarders this past year? Or does Ron sometimes have questionable judgment when it comes to coaching decisions?

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

We aren’t paying for him to lose 4 games in 2016 or missing a couple kicks in the Detroit game and losing a game we never should have lost.

The VT kid hit a 55 yarder last night that had more than enough to be a 63 yarder and had touchbacks as well.

Gano isn’t a kicker we can count on at all and we are paying him like he’s a top K. Our head coach lost faith in him in 2016 and 2018. Unfortunately, our man had a career year in 2017 and he had 0 50+ yarders. I recall everyone wondering why Ron never tried him except 1 time (he missed). Thank goodness that career year ended in a blown chip shot that would have given us a chance at a 37 yarder to beat NO.

This. Gano is one of the biggest conmen in football right now. His best kick of his career came against the Giants last year when we had to rush him on the field. He didn’t have to think about it, that’s why he made it. That tells me he can’t candle the pressure. He has missed crucial field goals time and time again when the game is on the line.  He is no John Kasay and never will be.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

No, not really. When a few games later he basically loses the Detroit game for missing an XP and FG and the coach loses faith in him so he goes for 2. He won the Giants game but he lost the Detroit game so a longer FG doesn’t exempt him from the many games he's helped us lose over the past 3 years. It’s like the Saints playoff game. Hits a great long FG but unlike the Saints kicker, he botches a gimme which cost us the ability to win the game with a FG instead of needing a TD.

He botches as many kicks as he gets good ones and that’s not special and not worth his contract. 

You can’t put the Detroit game on Gano at all. We were a way better team and should’ve dominated as a team. Play as poorly as we did and you lose, whether Gano makes those kicks or not.

And yeah that was bad in the Aints playoff game but biggest issue was the fact that we had to keep attempting FGs early and couldn’t convert in the red zone.

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

You can’t put the Detroit game on Gano at all. We were a way better team and should’ve dominated as a team. Play as poorly as we did and you lose, whether Gano makes those kicks or not.

And yeah that was bad in the Aints playoff game but biggest issue was the fact that we had to keep attempting FGs early and couldn’t convert in the red zone.

Yeah the other biggest part of the Detroit failure was Funchess, and he's gone.  Gano doesn't get a pass because the rest of the team didn't "dominate".  In fact, it's just those types of situations you need your kicker to be his best.  Gano is a serviceable kicker, but he isn't special, and he certainly isn't worth his contract.

28 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

This. Gano is one of the biggest conmen in football right now. His best kick of his career came against the Giants last year when we had to rush him on the field. He didn’t have to think about it, that’s why he made it. That tells me he can’t candle the pressure. He has missed crucial field goals time and time again when the game is on the line.  He is no John Kasay and never will be.

Cam and Kickers have something in common. 

Half the fanbase is ready to replace a strong and proven NFL kicker.  With a weak college kicker because he made 2 FGs in a preseason game. 

27 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Yeah the other biggest part of the Detroit failure was Funchess, and he's gone.  Gano doesn't get a pass because the rest of the team didn't "dominate".  In fact, it's just those types of situations you need your kicker to be his best.  Gano is a serviceable kicker, but he isn't special, and he certainly isn't worth his contract.

The Bears and Vikings among many other teams would LOVE to have Gano. Not every team can luck into a Vinatieri or Tucker, there are so few great kickers and even fewer that are great consistently for many years. Gano has been as solid as it gets and if we let him go we could easily be in the position of other teams with terrible kicking instead of just solid with a few misses here and there.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Half the fanbase is ready to replace a strong and proven NFL kicker.  With a weak college kicker because he made 2 FGs in a preseason game. 

Gano, strong and proven?  Proven in the sense he's a veteran.  What else has he proven?  Than he could hit or miss when matters from essentially any range?  IMO he's just a guy, he doesn't suck.  Ordinary career percentages and one extraordinary kick to his credit.  He's paid like he's made every kick that ever counted though which is my only issue.  As far as Slye, he made 3 FG's, not that it changes your argument.  For the record, I'm not suggesting we replace Gano with Slye either, but I definitely want to see more of Slye in the preseason and I'm sure the coaches do as well.

26 minutes ago, CRA said:

With a weak college kicker 

And this...smh.  You act as if the preseason isn't EXACTLY when unproven players are being evaluated.  Not to mention that if every NFL team had 3 kickers in camp that's still only 96 people on the face of the planet with enough going for them to draw NFL interest.  The dude is kicking field goals in a NFL uniform and you're referring to a "weak college career" I haven't even bothered to research because it's entirely irrelevant.  

15 minutes ago, t96 said:

The Bears and Vikings among many other teams would LOVE to have Gano. Not every team can luck into a Vinatieri or Tucker, there are so few great kickers and even fewer that are great consistently for many years. Gano has been as solid as it gets and if we let him go we could easily be in the position of other teams with terrible kicking instead of just solid with a few misses here and there.

Yes, if your kicker sucks Gano is a tremendous upgrade.  If your kicker is above the sucking line then very few teams are taking on Gano's contract.  I've never stated once that Gano sucked, I'd even acknowledge he's above average most of the time.  His contract is elite though.

35 minutes ago, CRA said:

Gano is not a proven kicker.

Cam is one of the best QB's in the NFL. He's carried a franchise on his back through multiple injuries with a weak supporting cast against biased officials and a league that wants to see him lose for years. Big difference

I'm glad that Gano has a big leg. So sure he has a chance to make a long FG. But when his inconsistency is a factor in the coaches game plan, and he's paid like an elite kicker. It's a problem.

7 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

And this...smh.  You act as if the preseason isn't EXACTLY when unproven players are being evaluated.  Not to mention that if every NFL team had 3 kickers in camp that's still only 96 people on the face of the planet with enough going for them to draw NFL interest.  The dude is kicking field goals in a NFL uniform and you're referring to a "weak college career" I haven't even bothered to research because it's entirely irrelevant.  

I mean he was a weak college kicker.  He played at VT for 4 years.  Best season ever was 76% on his FGs and averaged 72% in his college career.   

how is his kicking career irrelevant? I mean people are talking about replacing what they deem as an unclutch and inconsistent Gano with this dude. 

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

FBI UPDATE

(Football Bias Investigation)

I am growing more and more concerned about what could be a stage 3 man crush Jeremy  has for Will Grier.  I did not see enough from him to put him in the Winner column.  If I am wrong, I apologize--but if I am right (and Jeremy has a few he nuthugs every year and is usually right in doing so), support me on this.  Allen was better (albeit playing with the better players).

Jeremy picked 2 players with turnovers, so he admired their bounce back ability, but I am not sure Winners is the best category.  Yes, Holyfield had 2 TDs, but he averaged under 4 yards a touch.

Here is my question and I am looking for objectivity here--be honest.  We all know and love Jeremy, and sometimes true friends need to intervene:

Jeremy is

A. Totally right about Will Grier

B. Possibly man crushing on Will Grier

C. Solidly and securely clamped on one of his nargberries. 

D. All of the above.

Grier looked completely lost in his first couple of drives, but settled in pretty good after that. He was also playing with a bunch of guys that will be unemployed in a month. Hopefully he continues to improve. Allen was much better. 

Holyfield was just OK, which isn't bad for a 4th stringer. I'm excited to see how Scarlett looks next week.

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Mick Mixon:  Was he paying attention to the words he was saying?

Mixon seems to rely on a stream of consciousness thing - but unfortunately for Panthers fans, it's the consciousness of a baboon that ate a banana laced with LSD

15 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Gano is not a proven kicker.

Cam is one of the best QB's in the NFL. He's carried a franchise on his back through multiple injuries with a weak supporting cast against biased officials and a league that wants to see him lose for years. Big difference

I'm glad that Gano has a big leg. So sure he has a chance to make a long FG. But when his inconsistency is a factor in the coaches game plan, and he's paid like an elite kicker. It's a problem.

about having something in common w/ Cam is the Darin Gantt line...

There is 1 elite kicker IMO in the NFL.    The other 31 don't all fall into the same tier.   It is simply much easier to do worse than better than Gano. That is all. 

Archived