• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers at Chicago Bears - Winners and Losers

Jeremy Igo

Before reading what anyone else has to say, I decided to scroll down quickly and post my observations:

Winners:

Haynes (should have been player of the game, not  Holyfield--how simplistic to give it to the guy who scored 2 easy TDs but had a fumble and averaged under 4 yards per touch--Haynes played the whole game and showed me the 4-3 was not for him-and maybe we planned the conversion in the 2017 draft.)

Burns  (Hope to see all of the Spiderman poses this year--it sure seems that we could have 4 legit OLB threats this season.  Burns is at times unblockable and lightning fast---If the Saints had beaten us week 17,  I  am not sure we would have been better off in the draft than we were.)

Godwin:  If he can return punts, win/win.  Starting to look like a real steal.  His vision and patience was incredibly obvious.

Little:  I watched him quite a few times--those reps vs. Burns paid off.  He seemed quick on his feet and powerful.  Yes, he missed a few blocks on the second level, but all in all, he seemed to have a good day.   It is hard to watch a player when the camera crew is focused on some kid with a panther hat in section 32 the entire time the team is lining up, or some 5 minute interview on the sideline about snow cones, but all in all, I was not disappointed at all. 

Allen:  Allen was with the 1s (many of them, anyway) and Grier was not, but he looked to be ahead of Grier (as he should).  This is more of a statement about the Turners on the coaching staff than talent. Allen knew where to go with the ball, and that seemed to be scripted for Grier. 

Honorable mention: CAP (had some good runs, but the blocking was good)  Daley (not bad at G) and Cox (made some plays)

The Jake Delhomme segment:  It is easy to love those who love you.  He is a great guy.

LOSERS:

Larsen:  Was getting bull rushed all night, but especially noticeable when he gave up the sack.  Folks, I watch OL because I used to coach OL  in high school for years-you watch the OL during film and it ruined my way of watching football.  Larsen was abused all night.  I will even wager that he does not make the cuts if he has another game like that.  I never thought he was Kalil's heir, but I always thought he was decent depth.

Heniche:  That was hard to watch.  He looked like a middle school contest winner.

Butler:  Wow.  Bring back Fua.

Boston:  When I see a S with deep responsibility chasing a TE who caught a deep dig over the LB, I get worried.  Lose the hair, Sampson.  Even if you don't yet know the system, there are some things that are constant wherever you go--the 10 commandments, the law of gravity, and Safeties don't get beat deep.

The sideline reporter who decided to conduct long, senseless, pointless interviews during the game when I wanted to watch the players. Yes, Gerald McCoy was making funny faces--we all saw it--you do not have to interview him about it.  Yes, he likes snow cones.  Yes, he carries other player's helmets off the field.  Luke and Greg's interviews was because she thinks they are cute, prolly.

Mick Mixon:  Was he paying attention to the words he was saying?

TV Crew:  Although it improved from years past, more replays.  We are watching talent and I would love to see a few angles of each play during the huddle time. I do not care that a kid in the cheap seats wearing a panther hat just bought a big gulp from a vendor. 

42 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We could have saved about $14M in total cap space keeping Butker.

That's the essence of being a good GM. It's not just about the player, it's about the value. Team building requires an overall vision and allocating resources in the most efficient way possible.

I thought keeping Butker was a no-brainer back when the decision was there - simply from a cost/value standpoint.

My Observations: 

not trying to hijack your thread Jeremy...

The Good:  

• I thought Kyle Allen looked good.  Stood in the pocket and showed good poise. I really do think he should be the backup at this point.  I think he showed enough at the end of last year as well as in the preseason game to be named the backup.  He's better than Derek Anderson was when he was Cam's Backup
  • Terry Godwin - I remember people saying when he was drafted that he was a "possession" receiver, but the kid has some jets on him.  I think we should keep him around so we will have some solid depth when Torrey Smith and Chris Hogan leave.  
  • Haynes and Burnes -  If we had a redshirt option, I would say we redshirt Christian Miller...Holy Crap...these guys are going to be good. With Bruce irvin looking as well, I think we are going to wreak havoc in opponents backfield this year..
  • Levrone Jr. - He looked really good last night as well. I hope we can stash him on the practice squad.
  • Andre Smith - I'm glad we have been patient with him and it looks like he's starting to come along and look good.
  • Backup Secondary - I thought Cole Luke and Elliott looked good. I thought Parms made a few plays, should have had an interception..gonna have to work on those ball skills. Gaulden looked good as well.

The OK:

• The OL - so I was going to say this was bad, but i was listening to the Chicago Broadcast and they have depth everywhere in the front 7 it seems like so I'm not going to be too hard on them.  We do need to find another back up Center beside larsen though..he's one play away from being the starting center and i consistently saw him getting pushed back last night..
  • Grier - I'm putting him here, but I dont think he was terrible.  He played like a QB that was drafted in the 3rd round should play. Some good some bad, but I think the Backup QB competition is over. Give it to Allen, i think he's earned it

The Bad:

• Vernon Butler - i think everything has been said that needs to be said.  I'm not even sure we could trade him at this point. He's like the Nic Batum of the panthers, without the huge contract..lol

16 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Excellent point, as the chart he posted is team.  Grahams log def puts him in the middle of the pack, and worse considering the XP missed.  For the 3rd highest paid kicker it really was an average season.  And...Detroit....ugggg...that game really felt like a turning point.

http://www.nfl.com/player/grahamgano/71309/gamelogs?season=2018

I've never seen so many fans willing to jump on a grenade defending a kicker out of all positions.

This is some Cleveland Browns poo.

3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Slye was a winner last night.  Nailed the 55 yard fg with no problem.  If he continues to kick well, it could get him looks with other teams if we don't keep him.

My thinking was he gets picked up by the Bears--they saw him too and need a K. 

I’d add galuden and Levrone jr.

gaulden had a FF and a near sack fumble, but more importantly he had great coverage on a deep ball to hall, flipped his hips and got his head turned around with lout panicking. 

Levrone was eating period, took full advantage of his height advantage, he was one spectacular td catch away from putting himself in the spotlight last night.

FBI UPDATE

(Football Bias Investigation)

I am growing more and more concerned about what could be a stage 3 man crush Jeremy  has for Will Grier.  I did not see enough from him to put him in the Winner column.  If I am wrong, I apologize--but if I am right (and Jeremy has a few he nuthugs every year and is usually right in doing so), support me on this.  Allen was better (albeit playing with the better players).

Jeremy picked 2 players with turnovers, so he admired their bounce back ability, but I am not sure Winners is the best category.  Yes, Holyfield had 2 TDs, but he averaged under 4 yards a touch.

Here is my question and I am looking for objectivity here--be honest.  We all know and love Jeremy, and sometimes true friends need to intervene:

Jeremy is

A. Totally right about Will Grier

B. Possibly man crushing on Will Grier

C. Solidly and securely clamped on one of his nargberries. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

He isn’t an average joe kicker.  He just isn’t some elite rare kicker 

We are spoiled at two positions in this town:

We have always had a good kicker (Kasay) and we always have had a good MLB (Mills, Morgan, Beason, Luke--that is as good as the Bears history in only 25 years)

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

FBI UPDATE

(Football Bias Investigation)

I am growing more and more concerned about what could be a stage 3 man crush Jeremy  has for Will Grier.  I did not see enough from him to put him in the Winner column.  If I am wrong, I apologize--but if I am right (and Jeremy has a few he nuthugs every year and is usually right in doing so), support me on this.  Allen was better (albeit playing with the better players).

Jeremy picked 2 players with turnovers, so he admired their bounce back ability, but I am not sure Winners is the best category.  Yes, Holyfield had 2 TDs, but he averaged under 4 yards a touch.

Here is my question and I am looking for objectivity here--be honest.  We all know and love Jeremy, and sometimes true friends need to intervene:

Jeremy is

A. Totally right about Will Grier

B. Possibly man crushing on Will Grier

C. Solidly and securely clamped on one of his nargberries. 

There are two concepts that may firmly be in play: escalation of commitment and confirmation bias. For now I will select B- (B moving closer and closer to C).....:)

28 minutes ago, Icege said:

Losers

• t similar to Daley, the fact that they both improved as they got more reps is promising.
  • Christian Miller - I wanted to see Christian Miller show out, but he looked like a slower Marquis Haynes during their first year. LT got all of the time in the world to set themselves and then manhandled Miller who looked like an under sized 4-3 LB being asked to play 4-3 DE (remember that Haynes comparison?).

Bears were blitzing early, and to pick on 2 rookies playing beside each other is a "OK, go Bears"  moment---they did communicate well and it made them look bad early vs. 1s.  They are not there yet.  I did not really watch them until mid second quarter, and by then, they had settled down.  I was impressed with what I saw considering they are developmental.  A second round LOT is developmental.

Eerie--I made the same comment about Miller (comparing him to Haynes).  Miller showed me nothing.  Slowish, not aggressive---he was thinking too much?  Maybe that is it.  PS at best.

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We are spoiled at two positions in this town:

We have always had a good kicker (Kasay) and we always have had a good MLB (Mills, Morgan, Beason, Luke--that is as good as the Bears history in only 25 years)

Gano has a slightly higher career FG% then Kasay. (82.9 to 81.9) He gets the advantage from higher % at longer ranges.

Gano is 3% points lower in extra points. (95.2 to 98.2)

Hard to say one is great and the other is bad. keep in mind XPs are longer now

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

*sigh*

If by "average joe" you mean the sixth most accurate kicker in the league last year, you're exactly right.  Yea, the guy missed two FG's last year.

image.png.92bff9d7f6a7f212db03b7a49f771901.png

Gano is a good kicker but he misses so many clutch kicks - Key xp and 4th quarter FGs that have cost us many games - We should have kept Butker no doubt

Archived