• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

The picks that we used to pick him were 1 first, 1 second and 1 fourth. That's what we spent on the pick used to take him. Nothing more than that.

Right now add with me...

1 pick in the first round of 2008

1 pick in the first round of 2009

2 firsts a 2nd and a 4th for a bust.

Yes. (2) 1st round picks where used to pick Otah, i guess the Panthers could have taken any other player. Yes. Only (1) 1st round pick was traded with that 2nd and 4th. Looking back on it thats still not a terrible trade if not for the knee problem . Butler is a bust but still a big body for the DL and the Panthers have to pay him anyway this year. I would give him 1 more year to see if the light comes on.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:48 AM, Tbe said:

Gentlemagic.

Definitely a head scratcher when we picked him. 

I am not one to say we should have picked this guy or that guy but there were so many quality players we could have had.

Cut our losses now and move on. It will be sad if he is the cause for us losing a game because we can't accept he is a BUST.

4 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

Right now add with me...

This doesn't make sense. We just pretty much used our 2009 1st round pick a year early.

3 hours ago, NCBlu said:

Yes. (2) 1st round picks where used to pick Otah, i guess the Panthers could have taken any other player. Yes. Only (1) 1st round pick was traded with that 2nd and 4th. Looking back on it thats still not a terrible trade if not for the knee problem . Butler is a bust but still a big body for the DL and the Panthers have to pay him anyway this year. I would give him 1 more year to see if the light comes on.

The point of contention is ppl are literally arguing that Otah didn't cost 2 first round picks. 

7 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

Right now add with me...

Wrong

Let's say you have a friend who has a football for sale that you want. You ask him "how much" and he says "Just bring me a 12 pack" which don't have so make a run to the local store and buy for ten bucks.  You return to your friend give him the 12 pack and collect your football. Your total cost to get that football was ultimately 10 bucks. 

Panthers wanted OTAH. Eagles had a pick that would get him, Cost for the pick was 2008 2nd & 4th plus 2009 1st. 

It didn't cost you 10 bucks AND a 12 pack, and it didn't cost the Panthers 2 1sts.

11 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Given Butler's 3 years of experience, he should have looked like the best guy out there. So frustrating to see him still struggle.

I wonder if Cox and Obada could take his spot in the rotation? Or Vaeao or Hamilton? Thank goodness we brought Love back!

I think Kyle Love has been the unsung hero of our D-line since he arrived. The guy is completely undervalued for the role he plays.

I think Vernon's best bet right now is to play steady enough to draw interest from other teams.

It's not that I hate the guy or anything, it's just that he's been so meh. There are some other guys that have more motor and potential and I'd hate to see one of those go just because we didn't want to waste the "investment" of Butler and his draft pick.

Our 2 top picks in the 2017 draft no doubt makeup for some of the mid to later round whiffs, but ultimately missing on players like Butler, Benjamin, and Funchess hurt our longevity badly at a time when we needed to be filling out the roster with affordable depth so we could make another postseason run. The notable offseason blunders beginning with 2016 is what really sunk us though. Frankly, without a Cam Newton on the roster, I don't think we would have won a combined 10 games in 2016 and 2017. That's how desperate we were. But that shows you how quickly things changed after 2015, and how in one offseason major roster turnover can send a franchise spiraling. That's one thing I will say that it does not appear DG has learned from based on what he has done in NY so far with all the turmoil they have had going on. At some point you have to consider, are you doing more harm than good? Hurney in 2019 at least seems significantly more tactful in his moves and acquisitions after his very well documented blunders like trading up for Armanti Edwards, or handing out huge cap strapping contracts like candy. You have to give him credit for that, it doesn't work out that way often.

4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Wrong

Let's say you have a friend who has a football for sale that you want. You ask him "how much" and he says "Just bring me a 12 pack" which don't have so make a run to the local store and buy for ten bucks.  You return to your friend give him the 12 pack and collect your football. Your total cost to get that football was ultimately 10 bucks. 

Panthers wanted OTAH. Eagles had a pick that would get him, Cost for the pick was 2008 2nd & 4th plus 2009 1st. 

It didn't cost you 10 bucks AND a 12 pack, and it didn't cost the Panthers 2 1sts.

You are wrong.

It cost the Panthes two (2) 1st round draft picks, a 2nd round draft pick, and a 4th round draft pick to acquire Jeff Otah.

#19: Philadelphia → Carolina (D). Philadelphia traded its first-round selection to Carolina for Carolina's second- and fourth-round selections in 2008 (No. 43 and 109), and Carolina's first-round pick in 2009.

We got a 2nd 1st rounder in 2008, in exchange for our 2008 2nd rounder, and 2008 4th rounder.....as well as gave Philly our 2019 1st rounder.

Draft capitol spent on Jeff Otah:  Two (2) 1st round draft choices, a 2nd, and a 4th.

He started 29 total games for us (less than 2 full seasons).  

Archived