• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

There was only one play where I thought he looked semi-decent, he stuck his left left hand right in the right tackles chest and pushed him back 4 yards, great push, but then nothing.  No secondary move, no nothing...hopefully he is trade bait.

26 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I went back years ago and KB's rookie year was full of a lot of garbage time stats to be fair.     Also to be fair to KB, he's the same player he was in college, and the doubts everyone had about him (weak, doesn't use size well, etc) is what happened.    We shouldn't have made that pick but we were so enamored with tall receivers for a bit we couldn't help ourselves.    

You don't make that catch between arguable the best two DBs in the NFL at the time without having some serious raw ability. The guy had nearly 1000 yards as a rookie and by all accounts showed up to his second training camp and was absolutely dominating before popping that ACL. Ultimately, I just don't think he had the want to you have to have to play at an elite level for a long time, but had he not popped that ACL and lost his mom when he did I think he could've been a David Boston type. Dominant for a brief period before the want to issues caught up.

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s actually not true. First, every WR puts up garbage stats, that’s the nature of football when a team is behind or ahead. Second, I went through this discussion before and while I am going from memory, I believe out of his 90+ yard games (contributing to more than half his stats) all but one were in wins or 1 score losses.

His stats were no different from any typical WR (that’s the top producing WR).

As @LinvilleGorge mentioned, that ACL tear in 2015 was a giant career changing event for him. I honestly think if he plays the whole year we could have beaten Denver. After Talib murdered Philly, our WRs fell apart. Benjamin was our best weapon week 1 the next season against the same D.

Anyway, I don’t like him, especially after the crap he pulled but I don’t get the need to try and diminish what actually occurred. I remember a thread that makes me laugh about how Funchess was crowned in 2017 because everyone wanted him to be better than KB talking about how he had the best year since Smith and might be the first 1000 yarder since Smith as if KB’s rookie year didn’t exist. 

It was amazing the personality shifts that KB and DeAngelo both had after losing their moms. At least publicly anyway.

29 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

We traded the 2008 2nd and 4th round picks plus the 2009 1st round pick to select OTAH. 

Right and he was selected with what pick?

edit: that makes it even worse...I forgot about the other 2 picks.  JFC what a turd!

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

KB will always be a huge "what if" to me. He had a promising rookie season then by all accounts showed up in great shape to camp the next season and looked like the best player on the field, then he tore that ACL and lost his mom. I really do think he could've been great, maybe not for his the long haul but at least for awhile, had the chips fallen a bit differently.

I think my 'what if' player is Funches. I still like him and think he could be productive (as do the Colts obviously). He would have had a monster year last year if he didnt drop all those balls. I would have liked the idea of him as our (huge) slot guy. 

I think they would have kept him too if his cap was not so high. 

3 hours ago, Zaximus said:

We shouldn't have made that pick but we were so enamored with tall receivers for a bit we couldn't help ourselves.    

That being said, I was pretty excited about the throwing options we had back then. We had HUGE receivers (TE's included) while the rest of the league was going with small DB's. It seemed like a good strategy. Might have even worked....  

Carolina has gone against the grain a few times. Back when 'double trouble' was a thing we invested in BIG OL and a power back, while the rest of the league was going for smaller faster defensive players. That worked pretty good for a while. 

15 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I think my 'what if' player is Funches. I still like him and think he could be productive (as do the Colts obviously). He would have had a monster year last year if he didnt drop all those balls. I would have liked the idea of him as our (huge) slot guy. 

I think they would have kept him too if his cap was not so high. 

That's the problem with Funchess. He's always been plagued by drops and inconsistent effort. At least KB showed he could produce as the #1 WR. Funchess fell flat on his face last season when he needed to be (or was at least handed) the #1 role. The writing was on the wall for him and the Panthers by the end of the season as his snap count dropped dramatically. I don't know this for sure, but I doubt we even talked to him about a contract. I think we were ready to simply move on. Honestly, he probably was too.

16 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

That being said, I was pretty excited about the throwing options we had back then. We had HUGE receivers (TE's included) while the rest of the league was going with small DB's. It seemed like a good strategy. Might have even worked....  

Carolina has gone against the grain a few times. Back when 'double trouble' was a thing we invested in BIG OL and a power back, while the rest of the league was going for smaller faster defensive players. That worked pretty good for a while. 

Funchess was a pick I always had issue with. I liked the KB pick. I just felt that once we had KB, Funchess was too redundant. You have to pair big and relatively slow with speed. It's a time proven concept. When you don't have a field stretcher it makes the job of the defense a lot easier and you start seeing those DBs creeping up making the running game tougher and those short to intermediate passing windows tighter.

Archived