• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on Godwin?

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Sure, I agree, but having $3 million sitting there waiting to sign an injury replacement mid season is not a bad situation to be in.  Assuming that Godwin continues to progress and impress, I think it's not a terrible decision to give Torrey his pink slip.

I'd rather have T. Smith helping Samuel and Moore than sit on money in case someone gets hurt. You can always find money. I am the type that leans more toward the value of veteran leadership though. It plays a big role.

3 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

I'd rather have T. Smith helping Samuel and Moore than sit on money in case someone gets hurt. You can always find money. I am the type that leans more toward the value of veteran leadership though. It plays a big role.

But is he really? If anyone is sitting around collecting a paycheck its him. I wonder if his political stance is a reason hes still here.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

But is he really? If anyone is sitting around collecting a paycheck its him. I wonder if his political stance is a reason hes still here.

See?  That's kinda my thought.  I don't know how much he's helping.  I know that Samuel has taken a huge leap forward, but I also know that he spent at least a part of his summer in Colorado training with CMC and his dad.  Is Torrey really doing anything for us?  I just don't know.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yes he is. Cam said it in his interview earlier this week. T Smith is always the first one on the side line going up up to the young guys giving them advice.

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

Yes he is. Cam said it in his interview earlier this week. T Smith is always the first one on the side line going up up to the young guys giving them advice.

I think you could hire a retired and knowledgeable vet as a sideline coach/consultant for less than $3M. I'd go that route and drop him without thinking twice.

48 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

I think you could hire a retired and knowledgeable vet as a sideline coach/consultant for less than $3M. I'd go that route and drop him without thinking twice.

But does that consultant get in the work out room with you it’s a little deeper then someone consulting you more to the bond coming from a super bowl winning teammate who can jump in when needed and perform. That’s more the reason for of his salary.  If that’s not worth it then I don’t know what is.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Why wouldn’t it rollover?

It has already been accounted for the 2019 season. Torry Smith is guaranteed the 2 million, so it is consider a "cash spend" and not a "cap hit." The Panthers would get cash back into their spending pool for 2019, but it would not carry into the cap for 2020.  If we were to cut Smith, it would actually give us a 1mil dead money hit to our cap.

The "89% rule" set by the last NFLPA agreement, has a lot to do with this.

1 hour ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

That's not how this team is run. If you were able to watch all or nothing, it would give you an idea of how it is run. Family first approach. Players play for each other, and not consultants. On paper it may sound convenient and cheap, but in reality the impact of having veteran leadership is very evident.

It's just like how businesses adopt a people culture. If people trust the place they work, you are more likely to get 100% from them consistently. When you work at places that are cut n dry, like say an insurance company or car dealership, its just about the money. That's why they have such high turnover. 

Archived