• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If it was up to you, would you play Cam on Thursday night?

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

No. we have 2 backups that need work.  Cam should not play until week 2 (1 quarter) and then week 3 (one half),  Then game 1.  He may be rusty week 1, but we can adjust the scheme to limit his exposure.

Herein lies the issue. 1 game can make the difference in playoffs/no playoffs. Have to get Cam ready to go. Some game action is needed in the preseason. 

8 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Herein lies the issue. 1 game can make the difference in playoffs/no playoffs. Have to get Cam ready to go. Some game action is needed in the preseason. 

This is true. And you can’t start tiptoeing through an entire process with the fear that he’s going to get hurt. I’m fairly certain this analytics-driven regime has a tightly managed game plan for his pitch count already in place. Again, I’m looking for two series with conservative, low-risk passes. No seven-step Bruce Arians deep ball bullshit which would possibly expose him to their pass rush. 

He’s throwing a lot in camp. High velocity stuff, too. 

I'd play him on a very short leash, give him a few looks at a defense he's not familiar with. Thou shalt NOT run regardless of scripted or scramble. Thou shalt immediately throw away if any defender is within 3 steps (I'll even include Panther defenders and a make-a-wish kid from a Pop Warner team).

Can't see the risk is worth the rewards.

If the rookie LT misses a block and some jackleg DE who is trying to make the other  team slams Cam to the ground, landing him on his surgically repaired shoulder and Cam goes on IR, your season is shot before it begins. [as always, I'm NOT hoping that happens, this is hypothetical]

Sure, worst case scenario, but there's a  chance of it happening. Why risk it?

Even the ones advocating for him to play  here in this thread are thinking of 3-4 snaps, half dozen at most. That's not going to make enough difference in Cam's readiness for the season to make it worth the risk. 

Frankly, would hardly play Cam at all during the preseason, rather have him a little rusty going into the regular season than have him on IR because somebody took a shot at him.

No

If our season is going to be over with an injury to Cam at least wait until the regular season where it matters and not being cute in the preseason. Anybody with half a brain knows what we got with him and what he means to the team. 

He's Rivera's meal ticket to the playoffs and herp derp 3rd coach of the year award.

Archived