• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated Carolina Panthers Roster Projection

Jeremy Igo

6 hours ago, ellis said:

Agree with Jeremy on Godwin. He’s a good option at PR. Mickens has muffed a pair of punts and dropped a wide open 9 route. Hogan is sharing a healthy dose of PR reps with Godwin. 

Godwin was one of the first guys up at fan fest which is a good indicator of depth before preseason.  Hope he balls out well. It looks like Daley is a shoe in to make the team also.  That would be 2 good drafts in a row for H2.0.  How good is yet to be determined.  But at least we are building through the draft. 

18 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Godwin was one of the first guys up at fan fest which is a good indicator of depth before preseason.  Hope he balls out well. It looks like Daley is a shoe in to make the team also.  That would be 2 good drafts in a row for H2.0.  How good is yet to be determined.  But at least we are building through the draft. 

I personally don't see how Godwin makes the 53-man roster.  Granted the team will stash him on the practice squad if released, but I don't think the vanity of keeping a 7th round draft pick around makes much sense when there are better veterans currently on the squad...regardless if they have been career journeymen on one-year deals.

21 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I personally don't see how Godwin makes the 53-man roster.  Granted the team will stash him on the practice squad if released, but I don't think the vanity of keeping a 7th round draft pick around makes much sense when there are better veterans currently on the squad...regardless if they have been career journeymen on one-year deals.

The only reason he will make it is because of his punt return abilities.  It’s between he and Mickens right now.  One of those will stick IMO if they perform well in preseason.    We are not going into the season with Hogan returning punts.  And it doesn’t make sense for CMC or DJ to risk injury back there except for certain circumstances.  

31 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

james franco wtf GIF

So ur saying u would keep Torrey Smith over him? Lol it's hard to read all these dumb posts by people that really have no clue about football.

5 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

james franco wtf GIF

So ur saying u would keep Torrey Smith over him? Lol it's hard to read all these dumb posts by people that really have no clue about football.

First you should check yourself before calling people names son. Secondly, I was referring to Robinson, Mickens and Ross.  All are NFL veterans and have proven themselves.  If we keep Godwin it's because the staff doesn't want to cut a draft pick even though he was 'essentially' a FA at pick #237.

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

First you should check yourself before calling people names son. Secondly, I was referring to Robinson, Mickens and Ross.  All are NFL veterans and have proven themselves.  If we keep Godwin it's because the staff doesn't want to cut a draft pick even though he was 'essentially' a FA at pick #237.

gary payton wow GIF by NBA

OFFENSE (25)  

QB - Cam Newton , Will Grier, Kyle Allen

Only question is who will be the backup.  Believe Kyle Allen has earned in going into the season unless Grier massively outplays him in preseason.  Best depth at QB in years.

RB - Christian McCaffrey, Cameron Artis-Payne, Jordan Scarlett

Think Holyfield will be signed to PS.  Based on preseason and if Scarlett looks good, CAP could again make roster but spend most weeks inactive.

FB - Alex Armah

Solid if not spectacular player

TE - Greg Olsen, Ian Thomas, Chris Manhertz

Providing Olsen is healthy, very good group.  Will be interesting to see how many 2 TE sets we run given the talent at WR

WR - DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, Torrey Smith, Jarius Wright, Chris Hogan, Terry Godwin

On paper one of the best WR corps the Panthers have had in team history.  Only question in my mind is whether a guy like Aldrick Robinson could replace an aging Torrey Smith as a deep threat.  Rivera will probably stick with Torrey though

OL - Daryl Williams, Taylor Moton, Matt Paradis, Trai Turner, Greg Little, Tyler Larsen, Greg Van Roten, Dennis Daley, Taylor Hearn

Again, on paper, one of the best OL units the Panthers have had in years, from starters through depth.  Do hope Greg Little is able to develop into a quality starting LT.  Hurney resigning Williams was a coup, and gives a viable starting LT we otherwise may not have had.

Defense (25)

Defensive Tackle - KK Short, Kyle Love, Dontari Poe, Gerald McCoy, Vernon Butler

So much potential here.  Believe Butler will almost certainly make roster b/c of the need for more interior players in the 3-4.  I think there is a chance Cox, Jr. is kept in lieu of Butler, but I give Butler the nod.

Edge/DE - Brian Burns, Marquis Haynes, Mario Addison, Christian Miller, Efe Obada, Bruce Irvin

The last roster spot here will be one of the hardest on the roster.  Obviously, Irvin, Addison, and Burns are locks.  Haynes and Miller are recent draft picks.  I think Obada has the higher upside vs. Cox, Jr., and will be an important piece for the hybrid 4-man fronts.  

LB - Luke Kuechly, Shaq Thompson, Jermaine Carter, Andre Smith, Jared Norris

Kuechly, Thompson, Carter, and Norris (b/c of ST) are locks.  Could see another position take precedent over keeping Smith but for now I give him the nod.

CB - James Bradberry, Ross Cockrell, Donte Jackson, Cole Luke, Javien Elliott, Rashaan Gaulden

I think Javien Elliott beats out Corn Elder and Lozenzo Doss for the last spot.

S - Eric Reid, Tre Boston, Colin Jones

The Panthers under Rivera typically keep 9 DB's.  I am only including 3 here b/c of the versatility of Cockrell and/or Gaulden to play CB or S

Special Teams (3)

K - Graham Gano, P - Michael Paladry, LS - JJ Jansen

Stable group that does their jobs

I have no idea how this season plays out, and our division (and schedule overall) is very tough.  That being said, I believe this is the deepest roster the Panthers have had under Rivera, even in 2015.

Of course that doesn't mean the results will be the same, but it is exciting to see a team this well put together. Hats off to Hurney for that.  Now the pressure is on Rivera, Turner, & Co. to coach these guys up and get some W's.

Tepper knows this team has potential, and he expects to see it realized.  Hopefully this season is going to be a fun ride.

I know the depth chart was released today. It’s about as unofficially as it gets. I don’t ever pay any attention to that first release. Doesn’t ever seem to hold up. Four preseason games ahead of us here. A lot of things are gonna happen.

But, I get it, it’s cool to look at a depth chart after a long off-season. 

6 hours ago, Seltzer said:

OFFENSE (25)  

QB - Cam Newton , Will Grier, Kyle Allen

Only question is who will be the backup.  Believe Kyle Allen has earned in going into the season unless Grier massively outplays him in preseason.  Best depth at QB in years.

RB - Christian McCaffrey, Cameron Artis-Payne, Jordan Scarlett

Think Holyfield will be signed to PS.  Based on preseason and if Scarlett looks good, CAP could again make roster but spend most weeks inactive.

FB - Alex Armah

Solid if not spectacular player

TE - Greg Olsen, Ian Thomas, Chris Manhertz

Providing Olsen is healthy, very good group.  Will be interesting to see how many 2 TE sets we run given the talent at WR

WR - DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, Torrey Smith, Jarius Wright, Chris Hogan, Terry Godwin

On paper one of the best WR corps the Panthers have had in team history.  Only question in my mind is whether a guy like Aldrick Robinson could replace an aging Torrey Smith as a deep threat.  Rivera will probably stick with Torrey though

OL - Daryl Williams, Taylor Moton, Matt Paradis, Trai Turner, Greg Little, Tyler Larsen, Greg Van Roten, Dennis Daley, Taylor Hearn

Again, on paper, one of the best OL units the Panthers have had in years, from starters through depth.  Do hope Greg Little is able to develop into a quality starting LT.  Hurney resigning Williams was a coup, and gives a viable starting LT we otherwise may not have had.

Defense (25)

Defensive Tackle - KK Short, Kyle Love, Dontari Poe, Gerald McCoy, Vernon Butler

So much potential here.  Believe Butler will almost certainly make roster b/c of the need for more interior players in the 3-4.  I think there is a chance Cox, Jr. is kept in lieu of Butler, but I give Butler the nod.

Edge/DE - Brian Burns, Marquis Haynes, Mario Addison, Christian Miller, Efe Obada, Bruce Irvin

The last roster spot here will be one of the hardest on the roster.  Obviously, Irvin, Addison, and Burns are locks.  Haynes and Miller are recent draft picks.  I think Obada has the higher upside vs. Cox, Jr., and will be an important piece for the hybrid 4-man fronts.  

LB - Luke Kuechly, Shaq Thompson, Jermaine Carter, Andre Smith, Jared Norris

Kuechly, Thompson, Carter, and Norris (b/c of ST) are locks.  Could see another position take precedent over keeping Smith but for now I give him the nod.

CB - James Bradberry, Ross Cockrell, Donte Jackson, Cole Luke, Javien Elliott, Rashaan Gaulden

I think Javien Elliott beats out Corn Elder and Lozenzo Doss for the last spot.

S - Eric Reid, Tre Boston, Colin Jones

The Panthers under Rivera typically keep 9 DB's.  I am only including 3 here b/c of the versatility of Cockrell and/or Gaulden to play CB or S

Special Teams (3)

K - Graham Gano, P - Michael Paladry, LS - JJ Jansen

Stable group that does their jobs

I have no idea how this season plays out, and our division (and schedule overall) is very tough.  That being said, I believe this is the deepest roster the Panthers have had under Rivera, even in 2015.

Of course that doesn't mean the results will be the same, but it is exciting to see a team this well put together. Hats off to Hurney for that.  Now the pressure is on Rivera, Turner, & Co. to coach these guys up and get some W's.

Tepper knows this team has potential, and he expects to see it realized.  Hopefully this season is going to be a fun ride.

I think your closer than the experts think. Elliot Is a deep sleeper who was a walk on ar FSU but earned a significant role along guys like Derwin James and Jalen Ramsey. Kid can play.. Obada makes it over cox..just a better player. Also no way butler is just flat out cut after preseason. 

11 hours ago, 45catfan said:

They wouldn’t be keeping him because of the draft pick. They would be keeping him because he has shown he can play.  It’s not like those other guys were high draft picks or elite talents.  Robinson was a 6th rounder in 2011.  That’s  a while ago.  Ross was so talented the he got to play in the AAF. And Mickens was unsigned until after training camps started.  

I don’t know how it will turn out but I don’t think it’s a reach to keep Godwin over those guys.  And he can grow into the slot role over time.  

6 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

They wouldn’t be keeping him because of the draft pick. They would be keeping him because he has shown he can play.  It’s not like those other guys were high draft picks or elite talents.  Robinson was a 6th rounder in 2011.  That’s  a while ago.  Ross was so talented the he got to play in the AAF. And Mickens was unsigned until after training camps started.  

I don’t know how it will turn out but I don’t think it’s a reach to keep Godwin over those guys.  And he can grow into the slot role over time.  

This is how I see it none of those guys are such proven vets that they have solidified their spot. On top of it if they are all close  in skill set or production he makes the least amount of money which would work perfect for what we’re trying to do he’s the youngest and would be considered the highest upside of all the guys battling for the same spot. And he’s the only one returning punts it seems that puts him ahead of all the other guys it’s good for the competitive edge of the team to have a rookie battling guys like Aldrick and Ross just to start out we’ve increased our offensive talent a lot I’m impressed.

Archived