• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated Carolina Panthers Roster Projection

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

There is no way on 4 DTs play 3 spots. Whether it’s Butler(or someone else) we need at least 5. And not extending Butler means nothing towards keeping him this year. His salary is guaranteed. So you lose the cap space too. 

What possible reason is Torrey Smith making this team? I don’t get keeping a 4-5th WR that doesn’t play STs. Or 6 WRs in general. 

This^

People need to stop thinking in terms of 4-3.  Short is a DE, not a DT.  Same with McCoy

Defensive line (6):

NT- Poe, Butler

DE- Short, Love

DE- McCoy, ? (maybe Cox)

Linebackers (9):

Outside: Addison, Burns

Inside: Luke, Carter

Inside: Thompson, Smith

Outside: Irvin, Haynes, Miller

Secondary (9):

CB: Bradberry, Cockrell

Safety: Reid, Jones

Safety: Boston, Gaulden

CB: Jackson, Luke, Doss

@Jeremy Igo

How far is the gap between Cox and Obada?  I feel like that last spot would go to the guy with the higher upside considering both are young and bottom of the depth chart.  Snd to me the higher upside guy is Obada.

Plus itd feel weird going to London without him after theyve used his face to really hype up that game and promote it.

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I can't see Ron only carrying 4 DL. Everyone is caught up in the whole "3-4" thing, but there are still going to be a lot of formations featuring two DTs and we love to rotate on the DL.

It’s all still very much a hybrid look. There will be plenty of four down lineman opportunities with the amount of nickel/dime packages in play. They might keep 4 “DL”, as constituted by roster designation. I still don’t think 94 is going to get cut. He’s been very active in camp, with considerable reps at 5-tech DE as well as looks at LDE and RDE in 4 down lineman packages.

7 minutes ago, ellis said:

It’s all still very much a hybrid look. There will be plenty of four down lineman opportunities with the amount of nickel/dime packages in play. They might keep 4 “DL”, as constituted by roster designation. I still don’t think 94 is going to get cut. He’s been very active in camp, with considerable reps at 3tech DE as well as looks at LDE and RDE in 4 down lineman packages.

No clue what will eventually happen, but it seems like 6'6" 265 with good athleticism has a lot of versatility in a defense that seems like it is going to require a lot of versatility from the front seven.

I don’t see the point of keeping 6 wr, especially when we’re transitioning on defense this year. It’s nice to keep some extra guys on defense, to see if they git better in the new defense. I really hope we don’t cut Butler and I would much rather have Obada over Bryan Cox, I really don’t get the hype over Cox. I would like to give Obada atleast 1 more year he is a promising player, and I would love to see him play in London. Choosing a player like Cox with limited upside over him just doesn’t make much sense. 

6 hours ago, t96 said:

Not sure Butler gets cut, he could still be solid depth in a 3-4 for not much money. Hope to see Heinicke do well with some AFC team (not Pats) but yeah he’s definitely the odd man out. Obada was a great story and would’ve been cool to have him in London with us but yeah don’t see him making the team.

I agree 4 defensive lineman on a 3 man front is really thin. I think we keep Butler for that reason but he will end up inactive when the top 4 are healthy.

I think Butler makes the roster and also a good chance for Obada.

Both those guys would be picked up by another NFC South team in a heartbeat.

I think we have usually only kept 5 CBs so there's one spot there.

Still, there will have to be some tough decisions. Best roster in several years

Archived