• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated Carolina Panthers Roster Projection

Jeremy Igo

Now that Carolina Panthers training camp is fully underway I thought I would take a moment to update my roster prognostication. Here is how I see the  roster shaking out at present. This list is guaranteed to be up to 100% accurate. No additives or preservatives. If arousal lasts for more than 4 hours after reading please see a doctor. 

OFFENSE (25)

QB - Cam Newton , Will Grier, Kyle Allen

Cam Newton looks good but warns it is a work in progress. Curious to see how much he plays in preseason. I don't expect him to suit up in game 1 at all. Taylor Heinicke's reps have dropped to nearly zero. The writing is on the wall for him. Hopefully he can crack another team's roster with a solid preseason performance. 

RB - Christian McCaffrey, Cameron Artis-Payne, Jordan Scarlett

A lot of folks pulling for Holyfield here but I just don't see it. Lacks the speed to be an outside runner and lacks the power for inside running. Throw in the fact that Rivera loves playing it safe with vets and its another year of CAP on the inactive list. 

FB - Alex Armah

Oh yeah, baby! Love me some Armah-geddon. 

TE - Greg Olsen, Ian Thomas, Chris Manhertz

Not sure there will be an offensive play this season that Olsen's foot won't be in the back of my mind. Ian Thoms looks to build on a solid rookie season. Manhertz blocking has improved greatly. Not a bad unit overall. 

WR - DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, Torrey Smith, Jarius Wright, Chris Hogan, Terry Godwin

Dj Moore and Curtis Samuel do will strike fear in the opposition. This is something a WR duo has not done wince the days of Smitty and Moose.  I think Godwin makes the team and plays a role as a returner. I really like the kid and don't want to see him put on the waiver wire at all. 

OL - Daryl Williams, Taylor Moton, Matt Paradis, Trai Turner, Greg Little, Tyler Larsen, Greg Van Roten, Dennis Daley, Taylor Hearn

I think Williams at LT is an upgrade over Clark from last season and a huge upgrade over he who shall not be named. Moton may get a few pro bowl votes this year at right tackle. The guy can flat out play. It is encouraging to see no news at all out there over the health of Paradis. 

Defense (25)

Defensive Tackle - KK Short, Kyle Love, Dontari Poe, Gerald McCoy

One of the strongest if not THE strongest positions group on the roster, imo. Short, Poe, McCoy could be the best line in all of the NFL. I think Vernon Butler gets cut. Not picking up his 5th year option means he is extremely expendable. If they cut Love and keep Butler we riot. 

Edge/DE - Brian Burns, Marquis Haynes, Mario Addison, Christian Miller, Bryan Cox Jr, Bruce Irvin

Guys like Addison and Cox are so important here as they can rotate down to the DT position if need be. I would love to put Obada on this roster, I just can't make him fit anywhere. Team has more pressing needs. 

LB - Luke Kuechly, Shaq Thompson, Jermaine Carter, Andre Smith, Jared Norris

The Kuechly and Thompson tandem should prove to be a formidable one with the improved defensive line. Carter is a rising star and the Panthers like Smith on blitz packages. Norris is a Special Teams leader and will get a jersey based on that. 

CB - James Bradberry, Ross Cockrell, Donte Jackson, Cole Luke, Lorenzo Doss, Rashaan Gaulden

I am going a bit out on a limb here but I am giving one of the nickel spots to Cole Luke instead of Corn Elder. Luke has moved up the depth chart and seen a lot of time with the ones lately. I am taking Doss over Seymour who has been struggling with injuries lately. 

S - Eric Reid, Tre Boston, Colin Jones, Damian Parms

Don't be shocked if the Carolina Panthers pick up another safety via free agency before it is all said and done. They like Parms but an upgrade would not be too hard to find on the waiver wire. 

Special Teams (3)

K - Graham Gano, P - Michael Paladry, LS - JJ Jansen

Jansen deserves a better Madden ranking. They did him dirty.

Not sure Butler gets cut, he could still be solid depth in a 3-4 for not much money. Hope to see Heinicke do well with some AFC team (not Pats) but yeah he’s definitely the odd man out. Obada was a great story and would’ve been cool to have him in London with us but yeah don’t see him making the team.

There is no way on 4 DTs play 3 spots. Whether it’s Butler(or someone else) we need at least 5. And not extending Butler means nothing towards keeping him this year. His salary is guaranteed. So you lose the cap space too. 

What possible reason is Torrey Smith making this team? I don’t get keeping a 4-5th WR that doesn’t play STs. Or 6 WRs in general. 

12 minutes ago, bababoey said:

So only 4 DL and 6 corners?  Does not sound like Ron.

Exactly. I highly doubt we keep 6 corners. Ron always keep it light with corners and I don't think Vernon will get cut. You can view Cole Luke and Rashaan Gaulden as CB/S.

I think this will be a competitive cut, maybe not for good reasons. The "bubble" group includes a lot of guys that are either really underwhelming or projects.

I will be interested to see how many WR, DL, EDGE/DE, and LB's we keep. Also if we decide to keep extra safeties or extra CB's. In one offseason we managed to shore up the OL depth but man, oh man does our secondary depth look bad. WOW. 

I think they keep Butler, cut Parms.  Gaulden would still have us at 4 safeties and he can play nickel CB in the meantime.  He might not be good but it isn't like Parms is either, who we could probably stash on the practice squad.  They aren't going to re-sign Butler, but I doubt they would release him before seeing how he can do in a new defensive front.  

Our roster is looking great though.

Not a bad forecast. I think they may find a way to keep Obada. He’s a fairly valuable piece up front. Has performed well in camp at end. Doesn’t get pushed around, and would be a nice piece of depth off the edge for their 4-2-5 nickel package. 

Cox is interesting. He’s been lining up at the 5-technique end spot more times than not. 

It’s very much a hybrid defense. It will be interesting to see how many they keep up front. 

Archived