• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers deepest and least deep positions.

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Deep:  WR, DL

Thin:  S, ILB

I agree,.. WR and the defensive line for sure deepest we’ve had. For the DE and and NT position I do have a question mark about who the backups are?

the weakest link as we’ve said all off season is FS. Boston coming in is a big question mark, and just how much football shape is he in after having all the time off? 

Inside Linebacker is a question mark. Especially backups behind Shaq and Luke.

otherwise I think Hurney has done about the best job anyone can do with rebuilding and adjusting the roster after Disaster Dave.

One of the best things about the Boston signing is it shored up the one position where we had a glaring lack of depth. 

You could argue a half dozen positions for least depth but all of them are at least adequate now. As far as most depth, OLB and WR seem to be the positions where we might have to cut players that could have been meaningful contributors on past teams.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

I don’t know how we could be any deeper. Moton has started at LT against good DLs (Cowboys and Pats) and done well and right now he’s the 3rd in line. If Moton is RT then we aren’t super confident in the LT starter, but to say we aren’t deep at LT seems wrong to me. Also, Daley was the starting LT at SC.

We aren’t carrying more than 4 tackles on the 53 and 2 of the 4 were LTs in college and 1 of the 4 has played well at LT in the NFL.

Well you hit the nail on the head with "in college." We have two guys that have started and played at an average or better level. The rest are unknowns, so it's definitely premature to say we are deep. And considering we are using Moton as our second example, that's also robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

Now, do we HOPE that we end up deep? Sure. Maybe the light starts coming on for Little and we have two deep quality. Maybe Daley or Moton are capable of playing LT at an average or above level in the NFL. But, let's also hope we never find out. The scenarios where we are getting down to moving Moton over or starting Daley are probably not very pretty for us.

Deep

WR- don’t think this team has ever had the talent we do now. Guys could be cut and start for other teams

D line- On paper we have a very good starting group, and there isn’t much drop off(Butler?) after that. If we stay healthy we’re a top 5 D

Not so deep

RB- after CMC who do we have? CAP has proved nothing during his time here, then there’s Scarlett, Holyfield. If CMC goes down the offense will struggle.

Time Management- I know Sam Mills has the job, but I would like at least 1-2 more behind him. Ron needs all the help he can get

2 hours ago, TheRed said:

So? KB and Funchess were a huge success?

Speed is what we needed all along. Our best statistical season as a franchise Ted Ginn JR was our #1 WR.

You need a good mixture. Couple over 6'2 some speed receivers under 6 feet and one solid possession receiver.  

Honestly, I've gotta give Hurney credit, he has filled out this roster brilliantly. We've also actually hit on quite a few depth draft picks recently like Ian Thomas which have stabilized some big weaknesses. Our QB situation even makes me more comfortable with Grier and Allen if Cam ever goes down. (Granted we would be much worse but not Jimmy Clausen era)

1 minute ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

Honestly, I've gotta give Hurney credit, he has filled out this roster brilliantly. We've also actually hit on quite a few depth draft picks recently like Ian Thomas which have stabilized some big weaknesses. Our QB situation even makes me more comfortable with Grier and Allen if Cam ever goes down. (Granted we would be much worse but not Jimmy Clausen era)

Hurney finally has the freedom to operate like a real GM.  Thats the major difference... and what a difference it makes. 

8 hours ago, stbugs said:

LT is deep. It may not be our best starting spot but we’ve got Daryl, Little and Moton with Daley as well. We need one of the first two to step up and seize the spot but saying it isn’t deep is a mistake. I’d say it’s deeper than last year (Moton was backup for both spots) or back in 2015 where we had 1 LT and 2 RTs. You were the one asserting that Williams had been successful at LT before so having 3 guys who can play LT and 3 guys who can play RT is much better off than last year or 2015. 

IF Williams and Little show they’re not ready I have full confidence Moton can slide over. He’s just the one guy on that line that looks like he will get the job done wherever they put him regardless of circumstance and the whole ideal position thing. That kid works his tail off 

It's been a long time since I've thought we were this deep at WR and on DL. 

I think we're scary thin at DB and OL, particularly center. As much as I hope Paradis is going to be a great, long-term pick-up, he sure has been getting a lot of passes on practices at training camp so far -- that has me a bit worried.

Also, the drop off at ILB behind Luke and Shaq is pretty steep.

Archived