• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boston , Gaulden, and the Panthers Defense

Jeremy Igo

39 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

So Boston is our FS 

Reid is our SS

Gaulden our starting nickel

DJ, Brad and Cockrell our top three corners

Is this right?

Soon FS about right and Seymour mixed in on the outside.  

I heard on the radio today that Cockrell played some safety in college.  So he is our backup safety and backup to Bradberry.  With Seymour being backup to Donte maybe. 

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

I know people have been begging for him for a while, but I just can't get excited over this. It's like being on the road for 10 hours and you really need to take a dump but the only place you find is this old run down gas station with the bathrooms outside and you go in, ask for the key, and then get hit with the smell of old piss and poo and the toilets look like they may have been clean a couple decades ago. You make it work because you're desperate and you leave feeling a little better, but now you just have to worry you didn't catch something in there.

Ok...maybe not so bad. He'll get the job done, but he's far from ideal. 

I loved your comparison, but had to give you a poo, only because it fit so well with your imagery.

Nice simile.

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

I know people have been begging for him for a while, but I just can't get excited over this. It's like being on the road for 10 hours and you really need to take a dump but the only place you find is this old run down gas station with the bathrooms outside and you go in, ask for the key, and then get hit with the smell of old piss and poo and the toilets look like they may have been clean a couple decades ago. You make it work because you're desperate and you leave feeling a little better, but now you just have to worry you didn't catch something in there.

It's better than shitting your pants

12 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hmmmm. Not sure. He was unsigned for how long? He signed pretty quickly when a free agent last time.

safety market is weird, he had a good year last year and the year before 

IF Gaulden stars at nickel, win/win.  Nickel hurt us more than FS did last year, and we had an "in-the-box" SS playing FS last year.  If Gaulden steps up and Cockrell shows he can win the job by midseason (A UNC/DUKE competition for FS--Don't get better than that), where is the hole?

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

IF Gaulden stars at nickel, win/win.  Nickel hurt us more than FS did last year, and we had an "in-the-box" SS playing FS last year.  If Gaulden steps up and Cockrell shows he can win the job by midseason (A UNC/DUKE competition for FS--Don't get better than that), where is the hole?

I'm anxious to see if Gaulden is everyone says he is at nickel.  I haven't seen it.  I know he was atrocious at safety.  

9 hours ago, mc52beast said:

So Boston is our FS 

Reid is our SS

Gaulden our starting nickel

DJ, Brad and Cockrell our top three corners

Is this right?

Looks that way... and on paper it's better than any secondary we've fielded since 2015.

It actually looks like a legitimate starting secondary and one that can actually match up with the loaded skill position groups the rest of the NFC South has.

Hopefully with our Front 7, going to get interceptions as well as not being a trainwreck.

14 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

It makes sense to me.  We have the pass rush now and QBs will be throwing up balls for grabs, someone opportunistic like Boston can be the right man for this scenario.

That is the thing right there. It isn't how good he was last time here or in his last 2 stops.  It is how good he will be here this time around. I think that given our front seven and the rest of the secondary being strong, Boston is going to be like Coleman in 2015.  Opportunistic but capable of playing it smart and making plays. He is pretty good in man which we are going to do.more of this year. Fewell is a quality secondary coach. I expect he will do a good job with Boston.

I think Tre Boston is a avg safety if you ask him to roam and hawk balls. The Panthers typically don't like that because they want their safeties to be interchangeable. So I guess we will see how that pans out. At some point though a draft pick at Safety world be nice. 

15 hours ago, rayzor said:

I don't think anyone thinks he is ideal.  You will never have a roster full of ideal players for every position.  And this off season, we were not going to be able to get an "ideal free safety".  Not unless we were willing to sacrifice some other free agent move.  

Archived