• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boston , Gaulden, and the Panthers Defense

Jeremy Igo

12 minutes ago, NAS said:

It's really strange because he had his best year with the Chargers but then was signed in late July again last year with Arizona, and now in late July by Carolina.  I don't understand why he wasn't viewed more favorably as a free agent. 

Because he wanted more money than he's worth. He had some big plays but gave up a lot of big plays and made a bunch of dumb mistakes, much like what he did when he was with us. 

I know people have been begging for him for a while, but I just can't get excited over this. It's like being on the road for 10 hours and you really need to take a dump but the only place you find is this old run down gas station with the bathrooms outside and you go in, ask for the key, and then get hit with the smell of old piss and poo and the toilets look like they may have been clean a couple decades ago. You make it work because you're desperate and you leave feeling a little better, but now you just have to worry you didn't catch something in there.

Ok...maybe not so bad. He'll get the job done, but he's far from ideal. 

You could make a pretty long highlight reel of Boston's missed tackles, bonehead penalties, and outright getting burned. His stat lines look good but stats don't show the plays you didn't make. This was a desperation signing for both parties.

I think the one thing that I will be looking for if Gaulden, Cockrell or Boston don't look good this season is for us to finally take FS and nickel a little more seriously in the draft. The continuing neglect and addiction to stop gap and/or desperation players is really infuriating. It spans two GM's at this point, so I am going to have to throw the blame squarely on Ron about this.

31 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I know people have been begging for him for a while, but I just can't get excited over this. It's like being on the road for 10 hours and you really need to take a dump but the only place you find is this old run down gas station with the bathrooms outside and you go in, ask for the key, and then get hit with the smell of old piss and poo and the toilets look like they may have been clean a couple decades ago. You make it work because you're desperate and you leave feeling a little better, but now you just have to worry you didn't catch something in there.

what-in-the-goddamn-fuck-34900986.thumb.png.04e01ca869bbdbcc9a442fc575751da3.png

33 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Yeah, he's not great hence why he was available in late July, but then again it's late July. He was the best option we could probably realistically expect considering the Panthers don't like investing significant resources in the position. Anyone hoping for us to trade away a decent draft pick to land a better option just wasn't being realistic considering our history of addressing the position.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, he's not great hence why he was available in late July, but then again it's late July. He was the best option we could probably realistically expect considering the Panthers don't like investing significant resources in the position. Anyone hoping for us to trade away a decent draft pick to land a better option just wasn't being realistic considering our history of addressing the position.

Boston was one of the few safeties with starting experience left on the market at this stage of the offseason. Desperation signing for both parties.

47 minutes ago, rayzor said:

This pretty much describes my life as a whole...well done

51 minutes ago, rayzor said:

hmmmm.  Who does this remind me of that seems to be missing from the huddle ?

After the Chargers he was looking for a long term deal. When you start signing one year deals your career (long term) in the eyes of teams you become a stop gap and he was trying to avoid that. He's got a family and wants to be in one place for a few years. I don't think it was all about the yearly money as it was long term, but he does deserve a few mil a year, when other safeties are getting paid even higher, some deservingly so. I bet he didn't want a one year deal this time but the money was better then the vet minimum that he was getting offered by other teams. If he has a great year, he'll get a decent long term deal from someone and it's a win win for everybody. 

My question, Is Boston a better player since he left & is the talent around Boston better NOW then it was when he was here? yeah I know 2015 was the SB year but the following 2 were a mess 

I'm on board with the signing, in fact I'm pretty happy about it.

Seems like we are going all in to win now, or its gets blown up. 

Archived