• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boston , Gaulden, and the Panthers Defense

Jeremy Igo

A quick summary of what all has happened this off-season and why.

Ron Rivera had doubts about Gaulden early on, alluding to his move to nickel as far back as February. But hey, why not give the kid one last chance and give him until training camp. 

Camp came, and he was awful. So let's see how he looks at nickel. Well, Gaulden looked like a damn football player at nickel. Looky there. That's where he belonged the whole time. Better that than be a complete bust of a third rounder.

The Panthers still like Cockrell at free safety but you can't go into the season with a guy that has never played there before. So you go get Tre Boston on a one year stop gap contract. They don't want Boston. They need Boston. They were hoping to have someone average enough to not have to sign him. His last season with the Panthers he was part of the problem on defense. That must be the last impression of Boston that Rivera has. 

So today the defense has improved since February. The Panthers have more depth at free safety and nickel and that's a good thing.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Decent ball hawk. Terrible tackler. Him completely giving up on plays his last year is the last impression I have of him.

I think Boston has started over 60-70 games in his career at safety. 

It was Gaulden or Cockrell until this move. Yikes that would’ve been scary. 

Boston is a better player than he was before with Carolina. He is 10000% better than Gaulden or Cockrell at this point. 

Gaulden should have been a nickel from Day 1. Hurney 2.0 has been great but he needs to let this position change crap die

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hmmmm. Not sure. He was unsigned for how long? He signed pretty quickly when a free agent last time.

Yeah who knows. According to Boston, he turned down “many offers” the last few months because he wanted a long term contract. Sounds like that was a mistake.

I read this about him. I hope it’s true. “Boston ranks fourth in the PFF era with a 41.5 percent defensive success rating among safeties”

To me, the encouraging part of this is that apparently Gaulden looked like he could actually play when they put him at nickle.  I mean, I'm sorry he didn't work out at safety, but if we get a decent nickle corner out of a third round pick, how can that be anything but a win for us?

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hmmmm. Not sure. He was unsigned for how long? He signed pretty quickly when a free agent last time.

It's really strange because he had his best year with the Chargers but then was signed in late July again last year with Arizona, and now in late July by Carolina.  I don't understand why he wasn't viewed more favorably as a free agent. 

Archived