• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera on moving Cockrell to free safety

Jeremy Igo

49 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

3 days into TC in his 2nd year lol

Exactly.  J-No is a prime example of why you don't put the proverbial "nail in the coffin" too early.  I have no idea if Gaulden will end up contributing in the end or not, but people toss players aside far too soon these days.

6 minutes ago, La Pantera said:

We had decent depth in 15'???? I think you're mistaken. We had shìt for depth. So little that we had to pick Cortland Finnegan off the street to finish the season. 

This.

Our DB roster in 2015 was:  Josh Norman, Peanut Tillman, Colin Jones, Tre Boston, Kurt Coleman, Roman Harper, Teddy Williams, Robert McClain and Cortland Finnegan.  I mean, yes, Norman was epic that year, and Peanut was good up until the injury . . . but the fact that we had to sign Finnegan in December tells you all you need to know about our depth.  Three seasons later the only guy still on the roster is Colin Jones, and I promise you he isn't still here because he's a solid safety.

11 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Honestly, this offseason was masterfully executed by Hurney... with the exception of not addressing the safety position.  Hopefully this little experiment doesn't bite us in the a$$.  I really wanted to see Cockrell on the outside, DJ in the slot, and a respectable player at the safety position.

In the end, of the 11 positions on defense, one of them has to be the least important. Free Safety, while it would be great to have a star player there, isn't where most teams want to spend their big bucks.

9 hours ago, dpm0409 said:

Exactly.  J-No is a prime example of why you don't put the proverbial "nail in the coffin" too early.  I have no idea if Gaulden will end up contributing in the end or not, but people toss players aside far too soon these days.

Norman always looked good in camp and when he got opportunities. He just didn't get more early opportunities because he wanted to freelance too much instead of playing to the scheme. 

12 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

We are thin, but the off-season is still going on, as we wrap up the first full week of camp, there are still safety options out there via FA, or even post cuts. We also have the cap to make a move, I think people concerned about the above need to be a little more patient, so that the full picture for what could be available has developed. 

That is going to take a couple of weeks, also it makes sense to look internally as well, Cockrell is 6' just shy of 200 lbs, and has sub 4.5 speed, and + athleticism. I'd like to see what we have there, Seymour, Elder, Luke, and Elliott can battle out the depth -- and we already know Reid / Jones are the SS depth, whether you like it or not that's just what it is there. 

I like the idea of Cockrell back at FS due to his size and mostly his speed.  I think he may surprise some folks back there with good coaching and game experience.  I also believe he's the type of player that wants to play and will do anything to be out there and will put the work in.  He knows he's not a starting corner (on our depth chart) so I'm sure he's telling himself to roll with this opportunity.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

In the end, of the 11 positions on defense, one of them has to be the least important. Free Safety, while it would be great to have a star player there, isn't where most teams want to spend their big bucks.

That sure seemed to change this off-season. Safeties got PAID and completely reset the market.

9 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Panthers best option right now would be converting Cock-rell to free safety full time and Gaulden back to his college position of CB

Kinda sounding like nickel might be Cole Luke's to lose.

When converting a CB coming off of a devastating leg injury who has never played FS is your best FS option, you know it's looking pretty damn bleak at that position.

Gaulden might simply be fighting for a roster spot at this point.

The way i see it, we're blitzing every single down this year. This secondary will be just as bad as it was last year unless Jackson plays like Norman in 2015 and people forget that James Bradberry exists on the team.

Archived