• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera on moving Cockrell to free safety

Jeremy Igo

“First of all, he’s a very smart football player. A very smart young man, in fact,” Rivera said. “I think the biggest thing is that he has a good skill set. I think we can utilize his ability to track the ball, play the ball, make a play on the ball. If the pass rush is what it is and it can be, we’re looking for that guy that can make plays on the ball.”

Some of you keyed in on this in the other thread. RIvera is banking on there being very little time for opposing QBs thus making the free safety position so much easier. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Some of you keyed in on this in the other thread. RIvera is banking on there being very little time for opposing QBs thus making the free safety position so much easier. 

And Gaulden still couldn't figure it out. I hope Cockrell gets it or they go get somebody. Gaulden just was never the answer.

Honestly, this offseason was masterfully executed by Hurney... with the exception of not addressing the safety position.  Hopefully this little experiment doesn't bite us in the a$$.  I really wanted to see Cockrell on the outside, DJ in the slot, and a respectable player at the safety position.

When you think about it, a large part of what made Coleman good for us was our pass rush.  As our pash rush got worse, so did Coleman.  I think we just want somebody back there to take advantage of a healthy rush.

2 minutes ago, Tbe said:

The entire secondary is one injury away from disaster. Not having quality depth here is going to cost us some games.

do you think we have infinite resources or something? our secondary is as talented as its ever been under rivera and if our front 7 aint that good our defense will suck anyway.  

1 hour ago, steven8989 said:

And Gaulden still couldn't figure it out. I hope Cockrell gets it or they go get somebody. Gaulden just was never the answer.

QB's had literally all day to throw last year. I don't expect much insight from you, but at least consider the subject.

Just now, The Huddler said:

do you think we have infinite resources or something? our secondary is as talented as its ever been under rivera and if our front 7 aint that good our defense will suck anyway.  

I don’t think we have infinite resources. You don’t need infinite resources to get decent depth. We had good depth in 2015. Behind James, Donte, and Reid we have no one. 

If James or Donte gets hurt, we’ll get chewed up by quick passes to the outside  Because corn elder requires a 15 yard cushion.

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

The entire secondary is one injury away from disaster. Not having quality depth here is going to cost us some games.

We are thin, but the off-season is still going on, as we wrap up the first full week of camp, there are still safety options out there via FA, or even post cuts. We also have the cap to make a move, I think people concerned about the above need to be a little more patient, so that the full picture for what could be available has developed. 

That is going to take a couple of weeks, also it makes sense to look internally as well, Cockrell is 6' just shy of 200 lbs, and has sub 4.5 speed, and + athleticism. I'd like to see what we have there, Seymour, Elder, Luke, and Elliott can battle out the depth -- and we already know Reid / Jones are the SS depth, whether you like it or not that's just what it is there. 

We have some cap room and some late options after cuts are made from other teams. Heck there is still Tre available which I believe would be a solid addition if nobody steps up in camp. Everybody wants all superstars at every position but that's not reality. 

53 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I don’t think we have infinite resources. You don’t need infinite resources to get decent depth. We had good depth in 2015. Behind James, Donte, and Reid we have no one. 

If James or Donte gets hurt, we’ll get chewed up by quick passes to the outside  Because corn elder requires a 15 yard cushion.

We had decent depth in 15'???? I think you're mistaken. We had shìt for depth. So little that we had to pick Cortland Finnegan off the street to finish the season. 

Most teams are an injury away from having a terrible secondary. Our secondary is probably overall the best we've put together under Rivera. With Safety being the only question mark on the entire def..

Archived