• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cockrell the Free Safety

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Rubi said:

Other than Eric Reid I’m worried about every other player in the back end. 

Reid = stud 

Based on what? Reid looked terrible last year too. Taking bad angles, missing tackles, getting beat over the top. I never understood where this hype of Reid is coming from because it's not from the field. Whole secondary scares me.

Gaulden was a complete head scratcher last year.  It looks like all the folks, including me, that were completely miffed by his 3rd round selection in last year's draft may have been on to something.  The coaching staff appeared to be just ON something, period.

As far as Crockrell goes, I;m more comfortable with a corner moving to safety than visa versa.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

All the scouting reports to me screamed "good college player who probably won't translate to the NFL". There are tons of them every year. There are NCAA All-Americans who go undrafted every year. Being a good, even a great college player doesn't necessarily mean that your skill set and talent level will translate to the next level.

It's not only that. Gaulden played mostly in the slot in college expecting him to make the jump to safety with little or no tape was foolish.They should just put him at the position he played in college (slot CB) and hope he can make good on the 3rd round pick.

46 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Based on what? Reid looked terrible last year too. Taking bad angles, missing tackles, getting beat over the top. I never understood where this hype of Reid is coming from because it's not from the field. Whole secondary scares me.

Context is needed. When he settled in after not having a training camp and missing several games he looked up to speed in the last quarter of the season and made plays.

Second of all, he’s a strong safety not a free. But was put back there because he’s the most talented and we have scrubs around him. Think Kam Chancellor not earl thomas. 

19 minutes ago, Benotheking said:

It's not only that. Gaulden played mostly in the slot in college expecting him to make the jump to safety with little or no tape was foolish.They should just put him at the position he played in college (slot CB) and hope he can make good on the 3rd round pick.

He does not have the athleticism to play that position, IMO and it appears in the Panthers opinion.

Gaulden looked like a bust last year and he looks like even more of a bust so far. Just be glad they are at least acknowledging it this early and trying to make a change.

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Hard to be the only good player back there. He’s a good player 

6 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

What about Quin Blanding, has he had a shot at FS and does Cockrell playing S puts Corn Elder on the field more? Although Elder may be better in the slot, I didn't like him outside...

If you can't get a shot at FS on this roster then you're not even close to being NFL caliber.

Do people know Rivera old drinking pal is in charge of safetys? Same guy who failed STs and anywhere hes part of the staff. Richard Rogers has been running safety drills 100% of time while Fewell has been with the CBs. This is a big deal and adds to problem. 

Archived