• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cockrell the Free Safety

Jeremy Igo

Give them credit for thinking out of the box somewhat. While it could mean Gauldin is struggling, or could be a way to push him and/or not just handing him the job. Also, need to find a way to get Cockrell on the field, at best he is the #3 cb. This is a way to add versatility.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Remember when Coleman played well in 2015? If the FS is actually competent and there is a pass rush you get turnovers. That’s what we need not the pass rush hiding a poor FS.

That said, I’m all for trying Cockrell out. It’s a passing league so if we can get a FS that’s solid in coverage that seems like a plus to me. 

Yeah, overall it seems like the transition from a largely cover 3 zone CB to FS would be relatively straight forward, especially for a heady player which Cockrell is said to be. Yeah, there are going to be some different reads, but the overall skill set seems like it would translate.

We'll see. I'm just relieved that we don't seem hell-bent on putting Gaulden out there at FS no matter what. Let's explore our current roster options and then if we have to look elsewhere so be it, but you might as well thoroughly explore your existing options first.

Panthers refuse to draft a true safety for over a decade, and look at the results. Trying to convert a second year player who barely played as a rookie and played corner in college and a veteran corner coming off a serious leg injury. Now watch the Panthers sign another veteran safety mid season because of their continued refusal to draft a true safety. What the hell is the problem with drafting a safety?? I don't get it.

1 hour ago, Daeavorn said:

What about Gaulden made them think he was a good player when hes extremely unathletic.

My guess is that he was a ''bang the table'' pick by a coach -- if memory serves Hoke the former DL coach last season was on TEN staff while Gaulden was there. 

It was an odd pick when it was made, but what was stranger was how average he seemed, tape, combine, scouting reports etc. 

1 minute ago, Captain Morgan said:

Ron Rivera: Ross Cockrell is getting more reps at free safety b/c of his ability to make plays on the ball. That's been missing at that position since Kurt Coleman's 7-INT season in '15. An improved pass rush would help.

Fine with me. Get me a guy back there who can run and make plays on the ball. We already have a box guy in Reid. We need a legit over the top cover guy 

Maybe we're planning on waiting to see cuts, but if we're already in a sense converting a guy who was running 1st team nickle reps to safety a few days ago....we better be signing a safety.  Gaulden isn't jumping at the chance and fine...he can be depth and maybe a wake up call will push him.  But there are a few guys who can be signed, or traded for, that can help this team.  Hurney 2.0 better get the job done because as all-in as this season feels for a lot of players, staff, GM, etc., would be a damn shame to let it slip because one weak position and money to spend. 

1 minute ago, SetfreexX said:

My guess us that he was a ''bang the table'' pick by a coach -- if memory serves Hoke the former DL coach last season was on TEN staff while Gaulden was there. 

It was an odd pick when it was made, but what was stranger was how average he seemed, tape, combine, scouting reports etc. 

All the scouting reports to me screamed "good college player who probably won't translate to the NFL". There are tons of them every year. There are NCAA All-Americans who go undrafted every year. Being a good, even a great college player doesn't necessarily mean that your skill set and talent level will translate to the next level.

1 minute ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Maybe we're planning on waiting to see cuts, but if we're already in a sense converting a guy who was running 1st team nickle reps to safety a few days ago....we better be signing a safety.  Gaulden isn't jumping at the chance and fine...he can be depth and maybe a wake up call will push him.  But there are a few guys who can be signed, or traded for, that can help this team.  Hurney 2.0 better get the job done because as all-in as this season feels for a lot of players, staff, GM, etc., would be a damn shame to let it slip because one weak position and money to spend. 

I was bracing myself for this as soon as the staff started talking about giving Gaulden looks at nickel this off-season. It seemed to me they had pretty much already come to the conclusion that he wasn't going to cut it at safety so it doesn't necessarily surprise me that they're giving serious looks to other guys very early in in camp. 

Regardless to a degree outside of the start caliber FS specifically, the quality of average play is something we should be able to obtain even if it is a veteran after final cuts. 

Like some have said, when the staff came out and mentioned Gaulden at nickel (a move back to his college position) we should have all been on notice that a change is coming, I like the Cockrell move, trying to keep your best players on the field. He was our #2 DB before injury and with Bradberry and DJ holding it down outside the only way for him to get additional reps is in the base as the FS. 

He has the size, and athleticism, I think the question here might be how  good is his run support / open field tackling. Now if we're going to feature more single high where he's always off ball those concerns will alleviate themselves as our front 7 + Reid is as good as any out there IMO. 

Cockrell is a decent depth piece... that’s it. People were overhyping him like crazy last off-season before his unfortunate injury. 

Hinging our starting free safety on him or gaulden is laughable. At least with LT Hurney has put some talent to see what happens. This FS position is fuged. 

Sign someone at least adequate who had some experience. This is absurd.

I don’t want to say I called this but follows the blueprint. We are in the coaching staffing acting shocked like they didn’t know this was a problem like phase. Next is the washed up signing panic signing and then comes the drafting the 8 FS.

Archived