• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Random thoughts from camp

Jeremy Igo

11 hours ago, cam1uvrxoxo said:

I think the new leader on defense will be Shaq. It would be nice if Bradberry was more vocal but he's the strong and silent type(he reminds me of master chief)

Huh.. shaq  isn't even sure of himself yet.. he hasn't really been a starter 100% of a season and doesn't even have a new contract. Shaq is just trying to solidify himself this season.

Just now, micnificent28 said:

Huh.. shaq  isn't even sure of himself yet.. he hasn't really been a starter 100% of a season and doesn't even have a new contract. Shaq is just trying to solidify himself this season.

I agree--inconsistent and very soft spoken.  For a first rounder, I would call him "bustish."  McCoy will be "that guy."  Reid could even be the leader---Of course, I do not know how Luke's presence can be overlooked. 

3 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I saw on Mario Addison’s IG Shaq commented about just trying to make the team. I’m sure it was mostly in jest, but I thought it was funny. 

1 minute ago, Montsta said:

I saw on Mario Addison’s IG Shaq commented about just trying to make the team. I’m sure it was mostly in jest, but I thought it was funny. 

That is funny and even further illustrates the point. When had a "leader" ever been made fun of for just trying to make the team lol.

Did anyone expect Little to be an All-Pro his first week of practice?

Knowing the Panthers woes with the position since Gross left, I would be lying if I said it didn't concern me a bit, but realistically you can't make any real judgments until he's seen some live action. Let's see what he looks like in preseason when he's actually got some time under his belt with this group.

10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Did anyone expect Little to be an All-Pro his first week of practice?

No, but as a second round pick I expected him to not look like a UDFA. 

Moton and Williams looked so much better their rookie year. 

Was just saying he doesn't appear to be anywhere close to starting at LT as some were hoping. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Was just saying he doesn't appear to be anywhere close to starting at LT as some were hoping. 

Oh we mayne. This is what I feared when we drafted him. Hopefully he can get it together and Matsko can get him up to speed. It might not be this season though.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I don't disagree.

We know our luck with the OL as of late, but I guess at the end of the day you can go with glass half full or glass half empty. What we were really looking for with the pick was depth considering our inadequacies with the line the last few seasons in particular. Not too many teams that I can recall have drafted stud left tackles in the first or second rounds the last several years anyways, so it was a gamble we were going to have to make regardless I guess.

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m still confused as to why they don’t use Williams at RT and Moton at LT? Anyway, there is a good chance Williams gets hurt with his history. Having Little learn behind him and ready to go will do nothing but help the rookie.

You and me both. Moton looked great at LT and Williams at RT. Not sure why they keep trying to push Moton back to RT...

This is from 2016, but it still highlights how difficult it has been to draft even a solid left tackle in the first two rounds.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/24/nfl-draft-combine-offensive-tackles-history

1. Recent history is very ugly. In the past 10 years, there have been five tackles chosen either first or second overall. Above-average starting tackles today among those five: zero.

2. The odds of picking even a good tackle very high are long. Of the 17 tackles picked in the top 10 since 2005, only three were ever first-team all-pro.

1 hour ago, WarPanthers89 said:

What is the biggest issues that you see with Gaulden, and do you expect a vet signing soon?  I know Marty has said that he expects him to start, but it seems foolish to go into the season with no depth and no one to push him for a starting spot.  

I went to Spartanburg on Saturday and have been following media coverage since the start of camp. I haven't noticed him being out of position or burned in coverage. I saw him make a couple of plays on Saturday. I will wait till preseason before I jump to any conclusions. I am concerned about the depth around safety if Reid or Gaulden miss extended time.

22 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I read yesterday that he was much better than the day before. I expect that to continue.  It sounds like William's is so fundamentally sound that Little won't catch up even if he improves everyday. 

As long as we put our best 5 on the field.

The question will be can Little be a good enough LT that we can put Van Rotten on the bench. We all know Williams can be good at LT but he might be better at LG with Little at LT. 

Archived