• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Random thoughts from camp

Jeremy Igo

18 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I know we as fans all miss TD, and not having the Cam - TD chatter is WEIRD.  But this team needed a shake up and needed to push younger guys to step up and really own their play. 

We may not so obviously see who is the "heart" right now on D, but it will come.  We've got solid vets in McCoy, Irvin, Reid, KK, Shaq, and of course, Luke. I'm not worried. These guys can lead.

I agree.  I think a lot of what we feel is missing is more a sense of what we were used to seeing and hearing.  But sometimes even the most sensible voice can become like white noise, and to be honest, I kind of got that feeling about TD's leadership in "All or Nothing."  While his message was and is spot on, he's said the same things in the same way for so long that I'm not sure the message had the same effect it used to.  

I think there is plenty of leadership on this defense, and I have little doubt that guys like McCoy and Irvin will get more vocal as they settle in and get to know the team better.  And while Luke doesn't jaw like TD did, he can still get vocal with his teammates.  So the last thing I worry about this defense is its heart or leadership.

It’s Luke’s defense and if you watched all or nothing you know he isn’t quiet. Not worried about leadership on defense. Look for shaq to step up too. McCoy has alluded to him a couple times.

i am worried about the LT position. We got a rookie and a guy coming back from a pretty significant knee injury. But something I haven’t thought about. We maybe keeping Moton at right because they want someone strong and reliable on that side to help protect Cam’s throwing shoulder from hits. 

This is one of the most talented rosters we’ve had. But talent doesn't win games.

57 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

It’s Luke’s defense and if you watched all or nothing you know he isn’t quiet. .

To me it always felt like Luke was the brains of the D and TD was the heart. The motivator. The guy that would get you pumped up for the next play. 

10 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A few random thoughts from Panthers training camp.

- TD's absence is palpable. Something is missing from the defense. Someone needs to step up and be the heart ofnthe D. Maybe McCoy?

- Cole Luke is the sleeper for the starting nickel spot. Loved the kid as a rookie then he struggled with injuries. Looks solid so far this year.

- As of today, Daryl Williams is the starting LT and it isn't close. I can't imagine Little catching up to him anytime soon. I'd be shocked.

- The free safety position is the Achilles heal of this team. Might end up costing them a close game.

- Will Grier seems like a really good dude. Watched him with his teammates and fans and the guy is really genuine. Not a thing not to like about him.

- DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel may end up being the best receiver duo in Panthers history. Yes , better than 89 and Moose.

- Cam spends a lot of time engaging the fans at training camp, making sure they have a special experience as a crowd. It's really a nice thing for him to do. 

- I'm leaning towards Godwin making this team. Seems to have the "it factor". The fact that he is taking returner reps is a bug plus.

- This is the most interesting defense I've seen in Panthers history. So many different looks. I feel like it is going to be a top 5 defense overall if Rivera maintains play calling. That 3 man front is ridiculous, as good as some team's 4 man front. 

Yeah, we definitely need for someone to step up & be voice of D. If Luke doesn't speak up then maybe Mario or Reid.

This year is Williams' last chance to show he's All-Pro material. I can see him signing a monster contract with the Giants or Bills next season.

The FS position reminds me a bit of '15 season. We all thought it was Tre Boston's, then Coleman steps up & grabs it. Ends up with 5+ INTs. No idea who's getting it this year.

Grier seems like a cool guy. Becoming a Dad @ a young age definitely helps adults mature much faster than others.

I cannot WAIT to watch this offense explode! 

I hate how the media is always trying to make Cam look like nothing but a whiney bitch. Cam's an awesome guy who just wants to be himself. He LOVES to interact with people, no matter what. And sex, he loves to make dem babies.

Go for it Godwin. You gonna make it.

Our defense is going to be this year's '18 Bears. Fast, elusive & too strong to handle. Definitely use them in fantasy football as a project.

10 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A few random thoughts from Panthers training camp.

- TD's absence is palpable. Something is missing from the defense. Someone needs to step up and be the heart ofnthe D. Maybe McCoy?

- Cole Luke is the sleeper for the starting nickel spot. Loved the kid as a rookie then he struggled with injuries. Looks solid so far this year.

- As of today, Daryl Williams is the starting LT and it isn't close. I can't imagine Little catching up to him anytime soon. I'd be shocked.

- The free safety position is the Achilles heal of this team. Might end up costing them a close game.

- Will Grier seems like a really good dude. Watched him with his teammates and fans and the guy is really genuine. Not a thing not to like about him.

- DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel may end up being the best receiver duo in Panthers history. Yes , better than 89 and Moose.

- Cam spends a lot of time engaging the fans at training camp, making sure they have a special experience as a crowd. It's really a nice thing for him to do. 

- I'm leaning towards Godwin making this team. Seems to have the "it factor". The fact that he is taking returner reps is a bug plus.

- This is the most interesting defense I've seen in Panthers history. So many different looks. I feel like it is going to be a top 5 defense overall if Rivera maintains play calling. That 3 man front is ridiculous, as good as some team's 4 man front. 

What is the biggest issues that you see with Gaulden, and do you expect a vet signing soon?  I know Marty has said that he expects him to start, but it seems foolish to go into the season with no depth and no one to push him for a starting spot.  

3 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

know Marty has said that he expects him to start, but it seems foolish to go into the season with no depth and no one to push him for a starting spot.  

There you go, that's the thing that bothers me most.  Not that we expect Gaulden to start, but that we don't have any depth or competition.  Converting CB's to S has never been super effective.  Sure, it "can" work, but our history isn't exactly sprinkled with success there.  I would like to see us bring in a veteran FS to offer competition.

11 hours ago, Xtreme said:

Probably both. Or if Williams went down, they would move Moton over to LT and put Little over on right. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Little starting at LG come game-1. 

I hope so, im tired of seeing top picks ride the bench and we gave up extra picks to get him. If they didn't think he could play this season they wouldnt have took him. 

During the draft research process, with the limited information and video I have, I had Little as a G and then moved him to T when we drafted him--

He is going to play G--

Moton, by the way, was a late second rounder who did not start as a rookie and even after that. 

10 hours ago, steven8989 said:

So ur saying our defense is missing TD but will be top 5. What am I missing?

neil patrick harris what GIF by bubly

TD was slowing down--His plays were being reduced--enthusiasm is one thing, getting to the ball is another.  He was not making the Defense great--in fact, he was a bit of a liability at times--our love for him prevented an acknowledgement of that.

Archived