• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Random thoughts from camp

Jeremy Igo

A few random thoughts from Panthers training camp.

- TD's absence is palpable. Something is missing from the defense. Someone needs to step up and be the heart ofnthe D. Maybe McCoy?

- Cole Luke is the sleeper for the starting nickel spot. Loved the kid as a rookie then he struggled with injuries. Looks solid so far this year.

- As of today, Daryl Williams is the starting LT and it isn't close. I can't imagine Little catching up to him anytime soon. I'd be shocked.

- The free safety position is the Achilles heal of this team. Might end up costing them a close game.

- Will Grier seems like a really good dude. Watched him with his teammates and fans and the guy is really genuine. Not a thing not to like about him.

- DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel may end up being the best receiver duo in Panthers history. Yes , better than 89 and Moose.

- Cam spends a lot of time engaging the fans at training camp, making sure they have a special experience as a crowd. It's really a nice thing for him to do. 

- I'm leaning towards Godwin making this team. Seems to have the "it factor". The fact that he is taking returner reps is a bug plus.

- This is the most interesting defense I've seen in Panthers history. So many different looks. I feel like it is going to be a top 5 defense overall if Rivera maintains play calling. That 3 man front is ridiculous, as good as some team's 4 man front. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

- TD's absence is palpable. Something is missing from the defense. Someone needs to step up and be the heart ofnthe D. Maybe McCoy?

- Cole Luke is the sleeper for the starting nickel spot. Loved the kid as a rookie then he struggled with injuries. Looks solid so far this year.

- As of today, Daryl Williams is the starting LT and it isn't close. I can't imagine Little catching up to him anytime soon. I'd be shocked.

- The free safety position is the Achilles heal of this team. Might end up costing them a close game.

- Will Grier seems like a really good dude. Watched him with his teammates and fans and the guy is really genuine. Not a thing not to like about him.

- DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel may end up being the best receiver duo in Panthers history. Yes , better than 89 and Moose.

- Cam spends a lot of time engaging the fans at training camp, making sure they have a special experience as a crowd. It's really a nice thing for him to do. 

- I'm leaning towards Godwin making this team. Seems to have the "it factor". The fact that he is taking returner reps is a bug plus.

- This is the most interesting defense I've seen in Panthers history. So many different looks. I feel like it is going to be a top 5 defense overall if Rivera maintains play calling. That 3 man front is ridiculous, as good as some team's 4 man front. 

Great nuggets. 

If Williams is starting LT does Little move to guard or be the backup to Williams only?

So excited to see Samuel and Moore drive OC coordinators nuts. 

I agree top 5 defense. I have to admit I thought it would take 3 years or so to get the talent to run this hybrid defense. 

I like or Cole Luke.  Also surprised that Corn is in the running for nickel also. 

Sucks that Little isn’t up to speed.  It’s tought to be a walk on starting LT in this league.  Still have high hopes for him.  How big is that Darryl signing now. 

I’m still not sure who has the higher ceiling between DJ and Curtis.  They will be great for a while. 

Also good to hear about Godwin. If he can make it returning punts this year it would be great.  I see him as the replacement for Wright in a couple years. 

11 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Great nuggets. 

If Williams is starting LT does Little move to guard or be the backup to Williams only?

I agree top 5 defense. I have to admit I thought it would take 3 years or so to get the talent to run this hybrid defense. 

Probably both. Or if Williams went down, they would move Moton over to LT and put Little over on right. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Little starting at LG come game-1. 

13 minutes ago, Snake said:

Looks like little will be another second round bust. 

Just kidding give the kid time. He has the skills. 

I read yesterday that he was much better than the day before. I expect that to continue.  It sounds like William's is so fundamentally sound that Little won't catch up even if he improves everyday. 

As long as we put our best 5 on the field.

49 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

So ur saying our defense is missing TD but will be top 5. What am I missing?

neil patrick harris what GIF by bubly

42 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Great nuggets. 

Hate to bust ur nuggets but it's only training camp.

hitching tim burton GIF

I know we as fans all miss TD, and not having the Cam - TD chatter is WEIRD.  But this team needed a shake up and needed to push younger guys to step up and really own their play. 

We may not so obviously see who is the "heart" right now on D, but it will come.  We've got solid vets in McCoy, Irvin, Reid, KK, Shaq, and of course, Luke. I'm not worried. These guys can lead.

IDK if a leader on defense will emerge early on as everybody is learning the new defense and just trying to do their part, even Luke. Maybe as collective effort they bond as they get good and get some success and over time someone (or two) emerges as a leader like TD. TD is not easily replaced, he was special.

1 minute ago, The Huddler said:

is it me or is there a whole lot less traffic on the huddle for it being training camp?

seems like the practice threads are a lot shorter than they used to be. i keep refreshing for new material but its like drinking drips of water in a desert. 

It's like the fans showing up for training camp at Wofford. Everyone knows what happened last year and know if Cam goes down the season is over. Plus alot of people wanted more changes with the coaching staff since we got a new owner but that didn't happen.

Archived