• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton, Allen, Grier

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Be careful with Allen guys. He has clear talent - he was the Number 1 player in the country in high school - but he’s shown to be prone to starting off hot somewhere and then falling on his face. Happened at A&M and Houston. Of course i want him to do well, i just think basing your opinions of him off one game against a team going through the motions is premature

-someone who lived in AZ and followed his career after high school

You must have a ton of free time to “closely follow” all these dudes careers.  

19 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Be careful with Allen guys. He has clear talent - he was the Number 1 player in the country in high school - but he’s shown to be prone to starting off hot somewhere and then falling on his face. Happened at A&M and Houston. Of course i want him to do well, i just think basing your opinions of him off one game against a team going through the motions is premature

I think that can happen when guys are big fish in a small pond coupled with immaturity.  But in the NFL there are plenty of guys on the team to keep players in check.  

I agree with Igo on this one.  Mostly because of the upside of Allen.   Heinicke is a nice kid but his ceiling is low.  I also think it won’t be long and Grier will be the number 2. 

17 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

I think that can happen when guys are big fish in a small pond coupled with immaturity.  But in the NFL there are plenty of guys on the team to keep players in check.  

I agree with Igo on this one.  Mostly because of the upside of Allen.   Heinicke is a nice kid but his ceiling is low.  I also think it won’t be long and Grier will be the number 2. 

It is a huge difference between a 18/19 year old kid and a mature adult. Plus he is not the Top dog and has the luxury of learning the offense without the pressure. 

1 hour ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Sounds like the type of guy to take a shot on as your #3 QB. Let's be realistic, if you're down to your 3rd QB your season is almost certainly already shot anyway. If you're going to carry three, I'm fine with the 3rd being a boom/bust guy.

I honestly don't believe Allen will ever make to to the practice squad. Some team out there will value him a better backup than the one they have. And for obvious reasons Grier will never be a PS squad player.

I am not normally a trade partner but if we are certain Grier will be #2 soon. Allen could be a good trade bait for a team that might want a solid backup or future starter.

Would be awesome if we could get a late round draft pick for Heinicke (probably a 7th if at all though).

Heinicke is good enough to be a decent #3 QB. Not an ideal backup though.

Glad we addressed it. And having 2 young guys with upside in Allen and Grier is a problem a lot of teams would like to have.

May be able to get much better than a 7th for one of them in a couple of years

8 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

I have no doubt his college career was spotty because QBs with no question marks get drafted in the 1st round.  The question is at what level is he right now?  Looked pretty good to me and we will have another look in the preseason of course. 

9 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

He didn’t “fall on his face” at Houston, Houston gave up on him because he struggled with Applewhite’s up-tempo offense.

He was benched with a 2-1 record (including a win over Arizona) and recorded his highest completion percentage of his career in that three game stretch.

If he doesn’t throw those two interceptions in the game against Texas Tech and Houston wins that game then Allen never loses his job as he would have run through the competition in the American. 

Maybe Allen made a bad decision to transfer to a team that didn’t utilize his skill set properly but he still performed well in the three games he played. 

10 hours ago, Shocker said:

And we post religiously on a message board so strangers with fake names can read them.

9 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Decent chance we will be able to trade either Allen or Grier for a first rounder in a couple years 

When Cam is 32? He aint Brees or Brady--never getting hit.  Cam has been battered and often the battered players hit a wall--how effective will Cam be when there is no longer a run threat?  Unfortunately, developing Grier slowly could be a wise move.  In 3 years, one of these 2 could be the next starting QB---

10 hours ago, Shocker said:

Shocker,

This is good to know!  I agree the talent is there for Allen.  I moved to VA Beach area for work not too long ago.  I was here when Heineke was tearing it up in football.  Heineke is a heck of a player, just wish he had more physical attributes to go with his heart/energy and brain.

Archived