• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Burns v Little... Mixed emotions.

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

How was Little over all though?  1 or 2 clips over the first 3 days of training camp does not concern me. For all we know Little was holding his own, but Burns made a few WOW plays.  Which is what I'd expect.

We get told not to read in to lineman play. We get told that rushers always look good early. Then we get told this. Always remember the people telling you these things don't know what they are looking at and only have one interest. Drumming up stories.

Don't read to much into the first couple days of camp.  Wharton looked like dog poo for almost all of his first training camp and turned into a solid LT for 1 1/2 years and a very good guard for 6 or 7 years.  Wait until after the 2nd preseason game then you might have a better idea.

Sloppy technique by little on that play. He stepped back, then reached forward to engage and Burns was already gone. Depending on when in practice the play happened it could just be a fatigue/heat thing. Good thing we have one of the best OL coaches in the NFL. 

As for Burns, that was just nasty. Lateral speed and agility look really good. That's why I hate when everyone gets hung up on 40 times. He looks like he could be something really special on the end. 

27 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

How was Little over all though?  1 or 2 clips over the first 3 days of training camp does not concern me. For all we know Little was holding his own, but Burns made a few WOW plays.  Which is what I'd expect.

from Henson's observations article

https://www.panthers.com/news/2019-training-camp-observations-day-three

Little, who got a ton of work as the first-team left tackle with Williams sitting out, fared much better in the team periods. He had a couple solid reps against Burns and seemed to settle in.

I’ll give Little a week before doing too much hard analysis. That’s my general rule with rookies running with the first team at LT. It’s a tough position to learn. Particularly in this scheme. Lot of misdirection. Ton of moving parts. 

15 minutes ago, KendrickPanther said:

I think Burns tool kit is a great advantage in this sort of drill. Can he move like that in the 4th quarter when Lineman have been physical with him all game??

These drills favor the DE/OLB.  In a game situation, the OL knows when the ball is getting thrown and where the QB is likely to be.  He understands where help is and where he is on an island.  If Burns was not winning these battles, we would have problems.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Burns is good. Little needs some technique adjustments but has the skills. Difference between a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick. If it was reversed I would worry. 

Yeah like that Verge guy said we would be taking him at 16. I try to tell him that wasn't happening!

I think this is a little bit of both Burns being an absolute steal at the position we got him (I read from multiple draft talent evaluators I trust that he could have been a top five pick in other years) AND that Little is still getting used to NFL speed. This drill also favors the rusher, particularly a guy with as much speed as Burns

Little dominated because of physicality in the past, he's going to have work on his technique now, not surprising this is true for a lot of O lineman

Archived