• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some Panthers Training Camp nuggets to digest

Jeremy Igo

Looking around this morning at the Panthers training camp happenings. Here are some nuggets I found worth of consumption along with my thoughts. 

From Panthers.com

Daryl Williams and rookie Greg Little both got some time at left tackle with the starters. The first team on defense continues to look the same, with Corn Eldermanning the nickel spot.

I suspect Little and Williams will be sharing time throughout preseason with the starters. The Panthers would really love for Little to win the job quickly. Having a suitable LT for the next 4 seasons at a second round rookie cost would be amazing. 

Rookie running back Jordan Scarlett had a strong day, and it somewhat surprisingly came in the passing game. The fifth-round pick wasn’t involved as a pass-catcher during his college days at Florida, but he showed soft hands reeling in passes in the flat. That’ll no doubt help his cause in the competition for reps behind McCaffrey.

Scarlett is a guy that will make more of an impact this year than people think. Seems like all the talk over the offseason was Holyfield, mainly due to name recognition. But Scarlett is a beast and will make people take notice quickly. 

Safety Eric Reid has shown great command of the defense. He’s getting everything organized in the back end, and with second-year safety Rashaan Gaulden still finding his footing, Reid has helped him along – in addition to making his own plays on the ball.

Gaulden still getting his footing at safety isn't great news. Panthers really need him to step up and be the guy today. He has had an entire season as a pro safety and should have a grasp of the position by now. 

From The Riot Report

Cam Newton threw again – Ron Rivera said after practice that he hasn’t reached his ‘pitch count’ in either session thus far – and uncorked two deep balls, but neither was complete. He underthrew DJ Moore on a shot to the left sideline and floated one to the right sideline that was eventually broken up by Rashaan Gaulden – either way, good to see Newton continuing to throw without limitations or setbacks.

Now that the dust is settling on the opening night magical long throws, we are coming back down to earth. I don't think Cam's shoulder is magically fixed and is back at 100%. I think the Panthers really overstepped on pushing that narrative and may end up regretting it. It will be a strengthening and healing process throughout training camp and preseason that hopefully will result in Cam being good to go for week 1. 

Sixth-round pick Dennis Daley, who played a lot of left tackle at South Carolina, has been taking some reps at guard – specifically, I saw him at right guard 

This is good news indeed. The Panthers really need someone adequate to replace Trai should he be injured again. Daley at guard would be a much easier transition for him than tackle. 

From the Twitter Website 

DJ Moore is going to light the league on fire this year. I really feel that way. He has all the tools needed to dominate at this level. 

A light crowd for the first Friday practice. Looks more like a third week of practice crowd. Someone mentioned it may be the local Spartanburg people staying away because the team is leaving their town. Might be the case. 

Cam's shoulder is still my main concern. Our season rides or dies on the health of a 1/4 of ligaments.

I agree with the DJ Moore comment but I believe that's Wright in the video you posted.

That was Jarius who made that catch not DJ but your point still stands. Every time the guy touches the ball, it feels like he can get 6, much like Curtis.

If both those guys ball out then look out. How many teams have two guys this dynamic as their 1 and 2? Not many. Talent wise, this is the most Cam has ever had to work with. Let’s hope everything comes to fruition because if it does we’re looking at a top offense with dj, curtis, mac, Ian and olsen. That’s a ton of talent. Then you got guys like hogan and jarius who get open and are clutch as hell. Time will tell but it’s very exciting.

Just now, panthers55 said:

So how does two less than perfect passes suddenly mean he is not 100% and the Panthers are pushing him too hard? How many deep throws has he made since surgery?  A dozen?  What about being rusty as just a likely explanation?

Because he had his shoulder scoped and scar tissue cleaned up. That's how it works. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Because he had his shoulder scoped and scar tissue cleaned up. That's how it works. 

Yeah he had a clean out procedure and 6 months to rehab. What usually happens is folks recover and regain their function. And when Can wasn't 100% he didn't attempt long passes. They have been bringing him very slowly. It makes no sense they would rush him now.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Yeah he had a clean out procedure and 6 months to rehab. What usually happens is folks recover and regain their function. And when Can wasn't 100% he didn't attempt long passes. They have been bringing him very slowly. It makes no sense they would rush him now.

Yeah, I have no idea what you are arguing about. I never said the Panthers were rushing him. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yeah, I have no idea what you are arguing about. I never said the Panthers were rushing him. 

No, you said he wasn't 100% physically  and the Panthers were rushing the narrative. I am saying that isn't likely given the caution they are taking. There is a big difference between not being 100% physically and  not having his timing down on long throws to guys you haven't throw much in the off-season. If he wasn't physically healthy  he wouldn't be throwing like he is. That is how it works.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I said the panthers were pushing the story that he is back 100 percent given the amount of media and hype over two throws. 

I never said the coaching staff was rushing him.

I think you just like to argue.

Maybe I read more into it.  Just getting.my first cup.of coffee too.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I said the panthers were pushing the story that he is back 100 percent given the amount of media and hype over two throws. 

I never said the coaching staff was rushing him.

I think you just like to argue.

I interpreted it the same way as panthers55. Thanks for the clarification. 

Archived