• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time to move on from CAP?

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, gorillamilitia13 said:

If he’s not the backup, then who? We need a backup.

What's wrong with Scarlett? RB is not a position where experience is needed aside from blocking schemes. RB is considered a skill position for a reason, it requires skill to execute. Vision, decision making, etc. Does Scarlett have the intangibles? Yes. So why not him?

4 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

What do you mean? All CAP has done is have a career average of 4.2 yards per carry, a 91% catch rate, and 4.5 yards per touch, all in a reserve role. He is adequate in blocking and knows the offense in and out. What does he have to prove? He is a back-up and has been kept around now for five seasons. Clearly he has something to offer or he would've been gone. 

What does he have to prove???? Are you kidding. How about consistently making the 53 man roster for starters, prove to the coaches you’re worthy. 

Tell the other side of that story. How many carries and how many pass plays did CAP have to amass the statistics that you posted??? Statistics is all about SAMPLE SIZE. If he was clearly capable, I would think he would consistently get a jersey every Sunday. If he’s not considered by this coaching staff to be good enough to get a Jersey on Sunday after all this time, do you think he’ll improve at this juncture of his career.

You have to ask yourself “what’s most likely to happen”? CAP is 29 years old and in his 4th years as a Panther. Is CAP going to improve at this stage of his career or not? Smart money says No.

CAP is Colin Jones, hes a special teamer given a position label. I believe he played 50% of all special team snaps last year. Thats including all the games he was inactive, hes a 4 phrase special guy now. With Jacobs retiring and the switch to 3-4, hes in a better spot to sticking now.  

Well, he won't be getting any competition from Hood. Not a UNC fan but I really hope he can stick with another team. It's a bitch to get healthy again and be set to prove yourself, only to get cut as soon as you hit camp. Kudos to the organization for at least providing him with a ride home. Thumbs down to Hurney for not seeing the need to cut numbers before camp started.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:55 AM, SetfreexX said:

i'd be willing to bet Scarlett can surpass CAP, his running ability seems to trump what CAP offered coming out of Auburn. Aside from that CAP was a 24 year old rookie, he is, or is turning 29 this season. If he is replaced as #2 on the depth chart there's no real reason to keep him over Holyfield as the 3rd back on the roster. 

Aside from familiarity / knowing the playbook there's not anything about CAP's game that can't be replaced by a veteran FA, he's always looked solid in pre-season, but has never been good enough to be active so I think this is the year we move on. Personally believe we brought him back as insurance in the event the draft didn't fall how we'd like it to in regard to bringing in another younger back. 

I like CAP, just don't see a reason for him to make it over the younger guys this year. 

But, knowing our coach, he very well could for ''vet'' reasons. 

What is the point in replacing a veteran FA with knowledge of the playbook and familiarity with the program with a veteran FA who doesn't? He will be kept as the 2nd or 3rd back. He is a good stand-in for CMC, if there was one, while Scarlett is a more traditional 3-down guy. 

Holyfield will be cut or on the practice squad. He has little burst and his vision is lacking. He is also an UDFA which means the Panthers have no liability in keeping him or not. 

Archived