• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time to move on from CAP?

Jeremy Igo

10 minutes ago, Burnout189 said:

To me it always seemed Holyfield ran like a FB. Not the fastest guy and more likely to try and truck you over than juke you.

A fullback's primary duty is to lead block. There is no evidence Holyfield would be willing or able to do that.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I have seen this mentioned here or there. Is this the year the Panthers move on from Cameron Artis-Payne? I really don't think so. It seems like CAP is the perennial backup runningback. Not good enough to start but adequate to fill in when needed. 

I have seen many prognosticate that Holyfield will take his spot but I just cannot see that happening. Ron Rivera MUST make the playoffs this year and cutting a vet running back in favor of a UDFA goes completely against his nature. Holyfield will likely take Hood's now open spot on the practice squad. 

Scarlett makes the team for sure. The kid can ball. 

So CMC, CAP, Scarlett with Armah at fullback is my early prediction. 

I've not seen anything from Holyfield, in his highlights from high school, college, and offseason workouts, to justify the hype he is getting here. CAP is the better back with more experience, more chemistry, and more explosiveness. I'd also argue that CAP's vision is above average for STARTING running backs. 

For the fans, Holyfield is a recognizable name so of course he will be pushed as something he isn't. We saw this with Byrd (USC), Boston (UNC), Hood (UNC), and Edwards (App State).

38 minutes ago, Billy Love said:

Holyfield may not be the backup RB answer. One thing is for sure though, CAP is not either, he’s had enough time to prove himself to the coaching staff. 

What do you mean? All CAP has done is have a career average of 4.2 yards per carry, a 91% catch rate, and 4.5 yards per touch, all in a reserve role. He is adequate in blocking and knows the offense in and out. What does he have to prove? He is a back-up and has been kept around now for five seasons. Clearly he has something to offer or he would've been gone. 

i'd be willing to bet Scarlett can surpass CAP, his running ability seems to trump what CAP offered coming out of Auburn. Aside from that CAP was a 24 year old rookie, he is, or is turning 29 this season. If he is replaced as #2 on the depth chart there's no real reason to keep him over Holyfield as the 3rd back on the roster. 

Aside from familiarity / knowing the playbook there's not anything about CAP's game that can't be replaced by a veteran FA, he's always looked solid in pre-season, but has never been good enough to be active so I think this is the year we move on. Personally believe we brought him back as insurance in the event the draft didn't fall how we'd like it to in regard to bringing in another younger back. 

I like CAP, just don't see a reason for him to make it over the younger guys this year. 

But, knowing our coach, he very well could for ''vet'' reasons. 

OP talks about Ron going against his nature. It’s likely we’re going to see Ron do things that he normally wouldn’t do. He already took over the defense because he knows he’s on the hot seat. Wouldn’t be surprised by anything he does this year 

I think it is clear that Ron does not have full confidence in CAP.  So, I do not believe he makes the final roster.  IMO, Scarlett does everything CAP does, but better.  Holyfield looked good at Georgia, and seems to have better game speed than timed speed.  However, he's going to have to show up in the preseason to get a roster spot.  

The guy I wouldn't be shocked to see take the #3 RB spot is Bonnafon.  He knows the offense, and seems to be more of the shiftier style than any of the other guys.  So, that would give us a speedier multi-purpose back paired with a more powerful guy.  CAP and Scarlett have a lot of redundancy in their styles, so I really don't know that we need both of them.  Of course if Holyfield proves to be too slow to be effective and Bonnafon isn't ready, we may have no choice than to stick with CAP.  

6 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I have seen this mentioned here or there. Is this the year the Panthers move on from Cameron Artis-Payne? I really don't think so. It seems like CAP is the perennial backup runningback. Not good enough to start but adequate to fill in when needed. 

I have seen many prognosticate that Holyfield will take his spot but I just cannot see that happening. Ron Rivera MUST make the playoffs this year and cutting a vet running back in favor of a UDFA goes completely against his nature. Holyfield will likely take Hood's now open spot on the practice squad. 

Scarlett makes the team for sure. The kid can ball. 

So CMC, CAP, Scarlett with Armah at fullback is my early prediction. 

I don't see why they keep him. He may be a vet but so are a lot of our STers and second string guys. Our back up will hardly see the field at all anyway as long as CMC is healthy. We should really move on from CAP by now. He isn't quite the "serviceable back-up" that a lot of people make him out to be and we have younger talent that we need to gauge. With CAP, we already know what we have in him. 

I think when we brought in CJ Anderson, it was a clear sign the CAP was not going to be here long.  When we released CJ, I was like wtf.

CAP has been what you want in a back up RB, someone who doesn't need to have 4 carries to warm up but can hit the ground running.  He has improved and looks better each year.  I agree, CAP stays.

Archived