• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time to move on from CAP?

Jeremy Igo

I have seen this mentioned here or there. Is this the year the Panthers move on from Cameron Artis-Payne? I really don't think so. It seems like CAP is the perennial backup runningback. Not good enough to start but adequate to fill in when needed. 

I have seen many prognosticate that Holyfield will take his spot but I just cannot see that happening. Ron Rivera MUST make the playoffs this year and cutting a vet running back in favor of a UDFA goes completely against his nature. Holyfield will likely take Hood's now open spot on the practice squad. 

Scarlett makes the team for sure. The kid can ball. 

So CMC, CAP, Scarlett with Armah at fullback is my early prediction. 

29 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Don't see why they keep Cap. He's not really been that great of a back up as some might think he is. 

And the odds are that whomever we replace him with wont see the field much more, or be any better.  We had a very good back up running back last year, and they didn't use him and eventually cut him.  So in the end, as long as the staff is comfortable with CAP,  we probably keep him.  

10 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I don’t know what Holyfield has so camp and preseason will have to play out some.  There could be a scenario where Holyfield goes on PS, CAP gets cut and we bring in a FA.  Roster ends up being CMC, Scarlett and TBDFA.  

All I know is he looked really slow to my eyes in OTAs.

After not using CJ last year and watching him ball out on another team after being released, I really have no idea what will happen after CMC at the running back position. I dont really get a cohesive plan at that position past CMC. I am very surprised A-Payne is still on the team. Anything is possible but I cant take seriously 'it's his year' again. He is just a fringe guy who found a nice nitch cashing checks and warming benches.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

All I know is he looked really slow to my eyes in OTAs.

He's not fast, but he has hella game speed. I think Holyfield makes the final roster, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I think CAP's days are numbered. We haven't given him a legit shot at game time for a long time. Remember CJ Anderson? He couldn't even get on the field either.

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, it is. He has spent way too much time as a healthy roster scratch on Sundays. He seems to be a guy the staff thinks is just good enough to make the roster but not good enough to actually play or even get a jersey on game day.

Hopefully this FL kid is good enough to surpass him. It would be nice to have another upgrade at the backup RB spot.....which we rarely used and then released last year. 

It is still hard to figure out what the plan is for the backup RB or really if there even is one.

4 minutes ago, Burnout189 said:

To me it always seemed Holyfield ran like a FB. Not the fastest guy and more likely to try and truck you over than juke you.

Plenty of very successful NFL RBs have ran like that, I'm just going to have to see it to believe it to be convinced that he has NFL speed.

Archived