• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best Case / Worst Case season predictions

Jeremy Igo

I feel like this year we should give best case / worst case scenerios as there is such a huge difference two major aspects of the team could make.

Cam's Shoulder

3-4 defense transition.

Best case = Both things work out swimmingly

Worst case = neither do

I honestly feel best case scenerio, Cam holds up and the defense adjusts quickly this is a 12-4 type season.

Worst case? Cam's shoulder gives out and the defense struggles? 4-12 easily.

Can't remember a season with such duality.

I agree, the floor and ceiling for this season are really far apart.  We could be playing for a SB title in February 2020, or we could be completely cleaning house, or anywhere in between.  I like to be positive this early, but I can definitely see both ends of the spectrum.

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I feel like this year we should give best case / worst case scenerios as there is such a huge difference two major aspects of the team could make.

Cam's Shoulder

3-4 defense transition.

Best case = Both things work out swimmingly

Worst case = neither do

I honestly feel best case scenerio, Cam holds up and the defense adjusts quickly this is a 12-4 type season.

Worst case? Cam's shoulder gives out and the defense struggles? 4-12 easily.

Can't remember a season with such duality.

That is literally every season with the Panthers. We are the only team in the league to never have back to back winning seasons. Every year is a crapshoot.

However it's an Odd year, so we should be solid. 

Best case is obviously a healthy Cam (and overall team for that matter), a defense that adjusts to the 3-4 scheme quickly, Brian Burns is a stud, Donte Jackson develops into a lockdown corner alongside the always solid James Bradberry, and the offense does what it's capable of. 12-4+ with a division title and a first round bye, with legit Superbowl chances.

Worst case: Cam barely plays, Grier is forced to start the majority of the season and proves he is not ready, the defense struggles to adjust to the 3-4, Burns barely sees the field, McCaffrey has a down year because defenses key in on stopping him without Cam in the fold, and the team falters to a top 5 draft pick and likely Rivera's exit. 

I see something in the middle happening. Cam may start off hot then injuries take their toll, but hopefully the defense can carry the team near the end of the season if Cam is hurt and/or misses time. The defense certainly did not help much aside from that Saints MNF game at the end of 2018, so I think our best hope is the defense gels into a top 5 unit so it won't matter as much if Cam is 100%. Forcing turnovers and giving the offense good field position would go a long way to helping out a less than 100% QB.

Best case we go 12-4 and win the division- we get healthy and guys like Cam and Olsen stay healthy.

Worse case is Cam goes down and the offense struggles. The defense should still be good and we go 8-8. Don't think even without Cam we have a losing record. Last year was largely due to defensive struggles and the offense couldn't keep up. If we only give up 17 points a game we don't need 30 to win.

Best case : 19-0

Worst case : 0-16

Boom. :tongue:

Seriously though. I think this team has the potential to win it all, but it won't be an easy task. The transition on the defensive side of the ball could come with growing pains, although I trust Rivera in that regard. And as always, injuries and random luck / bounces of the ball play a big role.

I expect this team to be a playoff team, but time will tell. The talent is there imo.

Worst case is Cams shoulder is permanently fuged, we muster up 7-9,8-8 record missing out on a top qb in next years draft. I don’t wish for us to lose but long term if we can get a top 8 pick we have a chance at getting another talented qb.

best case, cam shoulder problems are a thing of the past, 3-4 transition goes as smoothly as possible and we win the damn superb owl.

We have a somewhat favorable schedule, so if that "best case" happens, I am thinking 12-14 wins. For the worst case, a lot would depend on when Cam's shoulder went out. If we lose him early, I would say 3-6 wins. If we lose him late, probably another 7-9 win season. I couldn't see us winning more than a game or two without him, especially if the defense is porous. If all of that really does go south, we could be a serious contender for a top 3 draft pick.

Healthy Cam... 15-1 with another Super Bowl appearance. 

The team is better because the offense is better - at least on paper. 

The whole idea of winning defensive battles in today's NFL, particularly the NFC South, was not a good business model. Offense is needed to win games nowadays. An opportunistic defense that can cause turnovers and provide more offensive possessions improves your chances.

Archived