• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predicting the Panthers receivers. Who you got?

Jeremy Igo

The Locks

As I see it there are only two absolute locks to make the final roster.

DJ Moore is slated to have a breakout season this year. It took Moore several weeks to earn the trust of Ron Rivera and earn significant playing time. But once he did he quickly proved he is a star in the making.

Third year receiver Curtis Samuel is the only other lock to make the team this year. Samuel has emerged as the big time play maker on the squad. He is the guy that can break one off for six points on any single play.

The Probables

The following are guys that I am 90% sure make the final roster.

Torrey Smith catches heat from some fans but coaches see him as a valuable asset on this team. Smith is six foot tall on a squad of shorter receivers. I have to think that comes into play. He is likely here for another season.

When the Carolina Panthers signed Chris Hogan they found someone that could be Cam Newton's security blanket should Greg Olsen suffer another injury. Hogan is the kind of guy that won't make a huge play, but will just catch the ball anytime it is near him. Also, at 6'1 he is quietly one of the tallest receivers on the roster.

I am a big fan of Jarius Wright. All the guy does is come through on third downs and make the plays when they need to be made. Wright is an asset to this squad and Marty Hurney and Ron Rivera know it. Wright isn't going anywhere.

That makes 5 receivers that are either a lock or highly probable to make the final roster. This leaves only one roster spot for the remaining six receivers on the current roster.

I feel two guys have the best chance of grabbing that spot.

The Carolina Panthers grabbed Rashad Ross in April after an impressive showing in the AAF. Ross would add value to the roster as an experienced kick returner. This would likely be the only real playing time he would see, but still, it would help justify that sixth wide receiver roster spot.

I was impressed with seventh round rookie Terry Godwin in rookie camp and OTA's. He looked like a professional receiver out there. Marty Hurney is not a fan of cutting his draft picks, which could give Godwin a leg up on the competition. A solid preseason showing from Godwin and he would likely make the team rather than risk losing him to another franchise.

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

No number 1 Very weak after Moore and Samuel. Wright is a good number 3. Wouldn't be surprised if we pull off a trade before training camp begins. 

CMC is our #1.

I think we'll go into the season with either Smith or Hogan, but probably not both. One good vet will be out looking for a new team, it's sad, but the numbers just aren't there and we're more loaded with possibilities than we have been in a looooong time.

DJ
Samuel
Wright
Smith
Hogan
Godwin

I agree somewhat with @Khyber53 though that Smith or Hogan might be on the bubble, and it'll be because of Godwin.

If we can only keep 5, and if history is any indication, we'll stick with the old guys and try to put Godwin AND Ross on the PS.

I guess I could see a scenario where we cut Wright instead of Smith or Hogan, but I just feel like he's too reliable.

Most likely, though, we keep the 6 I listed. Our new defense and the personnel we have in it is going to allow us to carry less players on defense, which will benefit offensive depth.

27 minutes ago, Trill OG said:

Im still not ruling out us making a trade for a veteran later in the season. Depending on Samuel's progression, if he doesn't step up I can see us trading for an AJ Green later in the season.

AJ green?  No I dont think we get anyone that High Profile until Cam is resigned...

Thank what  Cams  career would have looked like if he'd ever had a # 1 receiver  ( after Smitty left ) .. 

I think Moore has potential ..  time will tell.

I'm not sure Samuel's  body can with stand the pounding of a full NFL season. Ted Ginn's did,, so there's hope.

T E  Greg Olsen is pro bowl caliber ,, when healthy..  yeah,  we're  in that part of his career.

CMC  is  Cam's  number 1 ,,  probably considered a running back  :)

Now ..   With a healthy  CAM..   Norv may be the missing piece to make Cam and any of the above, a  number 1 receiver that other teams crave..      But I have a feeling..  it'll be ALL ,  Norv / Cam  spreading the ball around, that makes this a Super Bowl Season

Archived