• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Possible move to the Charlotte area

Bruce Wayne

I am looking at a possible work transfer from Ohio to Charlotte. So I figured I'd enlist your help about where to look for a place to live with good schools. Thanks.

Tega Cay, SC. Best place to live hands down if you have kids and want good schools. 10 minutes from Charlotte. Lower taxes than Meck County. Lake access. Plus, we throw great parties.

Eastover. Best houses. Best schools.

Indeed, but also highest home prices in Charlotte. I know a couple years ago the median income for Eastover was over 200,000 a year.

It really just depends what you are looking for. If you have kids, don't mind living in a boring neighborhood with no character, and don't go out much, any of the suburban neighborhoods will suit you just fine. There are nice ones in South Charlotte and all around the 485 beltway. If that's not your style, I'd recommend Dilworth, Eastover, Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, North Davidson, Wesley Heights, Wilmore, Myers Park, South End, 4th Ward, 1st Ward, or Cotswald. These areas are your older neighborhoods closer in to the city with a little more to do and more unique restaurants and shops.

I am looking at a possible work transfer from Ohio to Charlotte. So I figured I'd enlist your help about where to look for a place to live with good schools. Thanks.

No one has asked where you will be working. What part of town?

Indeed, but also highest home prices in Charlotte. I know a couple years ago the median income for Eastover was over 200,000 a year.

It really just depends what you are looking for. If you have kids, don't mind living in a boring neighborhood with no character, and don't go out much, any of the suburban neighborhoods will suit you just fine. There are nice ones in South Charlotte and all around the 485 beltway. If that's not your style, I'd recommend Dilworth, Eastover, Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, North Davidson, Wesley Heights, Wilmore, Myers Park, South End, 4th Ward, 1st Ward, or Cotswald. These areas are your older neighborhoods closer in to the city with a little more to do and more unique restaurants and shops.

This is true for the most part. I don't like Ballantyne very much because the homes, even the ones in the $200k are cookie cutter with no trees. Can't stand that. Ballyantyne is a recently developed area so you wont get any character at all.

I'm biased but I recommend Mint Hill. Its right off 485. There are some older homes in the area with nice yards and lots of trees in all price ranges. You will get more for you money but you will also be about 5-10 mins further away from movie theaters and malls. Even some of the newer neighborhoods have trees and larger 1/2 acre lots.

Any of the neighborhoods Tensor mentioned you will likely be paying a poo load of money for an old smaller sized house.

Mint Hill has Independence HIgh School....might as well home school you kids or send them to Juvi for school

There is a new high school in Mint Hill.

Has Independence gotten worst? Because I have a lot of friends that graduated from there and they aren't juvs. But i've been hearing its worst now.

It is. It has some decent older homes, but I personally wouldn't want to live there. My whole reason for wanting to live in the older neighborhoods is because they often have walking access to some amenities. Grier Heights doesn't really have that.

As for suburban neighborhoods, I actually like the Blakeney area. There are a good bit of neighborhoods right off of Rea Rd that have access to pedestrian paths and are easily within walking distance of restaurants and shops. It's always nice on a nice spring/summer/fall day to go for a walk rather than get into the car to drive half a mile down the street. You have two grocery stores, two targets, and a decent amount of independent restaurants in this area.

No one has asked where you will be working. What part of town?

That I'm not sure of yet. The move is not definate yet. To not mention any corporate names I work for a large communication company. There are several positions I put in for so I'm not sure exactly where they are. Only know that they are in the Charlotte area.

That I'm not sure of yet. The move is not definate yet. To not mention any corporate names I work for a large communication company. There are several positions I put in for so I'm not sure exactly where they are. Only know that they are in the Charlotte area.

Grier Heights was a joke.

To be serious, there are a lot of factors to consider. Where you will be working, what you want to spend on rent/mortgage, what size home you want, what you want to do recreationally, etc.

I had always lived in the burbs, but to be honest, the towns i lived in previously didnt have much to offer "in town". We ended up buying near downtown, in an older house with no garage, and paying more than i wanted or thought i would ever pay. We dont regret it. We've really enjoyed living in the city.

Archived