• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Camp is around the corner. Talk to me about matchups

Jeremy Igo

I'm curious to see how we work Cockrell into the lineup if he's truly back healthy. 

I'm curious to see how the WR roster ends up getting rounded out. It'll be interesting to see Wright, Hogan, Smith, and Godwin might be four guys fighting for three spots. I just hope that we don't think that we can just PS Godwin if he shows promise. 

I'm not sure if excited is the right word to use regarding our FS battle. Dread might be more fitting

I'm interested in seeing if Gaulden can become a full-time starter (and effective at that).  Are the Panthers comfortable with our safeties being Gaulden, Reid, Jones, and some other as-of-now undetermined guy on the roster?  

Also interested in backup RB and TE battles.  Especially at TE- do the Panthers keep 3 TE's and Armah (who could also fill a role as a backup RB and/or TE) or opt to keep another RB?  Does Rivera opt to go with one of the other guys vs another year of CAP?

Who will be the starting nickel CB and who will lock down the backup spot between Elder and Elliot?

Who will be the odd man out between Heinicke and Allen at backup QB?  Does Rivera go with the more mobile Heinicke who could probably run more of the same plays as Cam or opt for Allen, who I think has a higher ceiling?  (I doubt we will be able to stash Allen on the PS again without him getting claimed)

7 hours ago, stbugs said:

I’m hoping Little shows up and Williams mans the LG spot. I’d think the loser of the 3 has that spot and hopefully in an odd year we stay healthy because I don’t like our guard depth at all. Maybe the other rookie can compete as well. Either way, I still feel like it’s wide open now. 

I agree but one thing that worries me is that Williams signed a 1 year prove it deal and the difference in pay from Guard to right tackle is pretty huge. He is essentially betting on himself to parlay his performance this year into a big contract next off-season and the best way to do that is by snagging another All-Pro spot at RT. I feel like Moton might be the guy who just puts the team first and if Williams has a spectacular year he can replace him at RT going into next season because we probably wont be able to afford to keep him.

I'm really curious to see the OL against the DL, to see who all they have to double team among KK, Poe, and now McCoy. This will be an important thing to watch because we can get a sense if the problems opposing OLs will have in facing them. It will also be good to see how these guys match up against what I think will be the best defensive fronts in the game.

Of course seeing the placement of Moton and Williams will also be key. I'm of the opinion the OL will be at its strongest with Williams at RT and Moton at LG (I think Moton would be a better LG than Williams would and a better aide for Little at LT), but I'm cool with however it shakes out.

Aside from that I'm interested in how much and just how they use Gaulden, I know the plan is to use him as a safety/nickleback hybrid, but I want to see how it works out....if it works out.

Also the RB2 role, who performs best and if whoever performs best is the guy getting the most reps with the 1's.

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don’t get messing with Moton when he’s not on a 1 year deal and played better IMHO than Williams at RT. He’s got no injury history so he’s more of a real future. Why wouldn’t you let him focus on being the best RT we’ve ever had? Moton was rated higher coming out and had more athletic combine numbers in every drill. Their sizes are almost identical and both had the “maybe guard” tag in their draft profile. I think Williams would be fine and honestly, he can make as much at G as RT contract wise. RT is paid on the same scale as everything besides LT. 

The question for me is what is best, getting Moton in his future role or getting the Panthers a Lombardi this year?

This year with this group of lineman, I really believe the best lineup is with Williams at RT and Moton at LG. If we want to win now, we need to have the right personnel in the right positions that give us the best chance to succeed now. We can plug Moton in at RT next year if/when Williams is gone.  

5 hours ago, stbugs said:

We’ll just have to disagree. LG should be the easiest position and I’d rather have the better RT who needs less help. I think there’s this assumption that Williams was amazing at RT. I’m still shocked he got 2nd team all-pro but as has been posted I’m here, he got the most TE help of any OL in 2017.

Cam Jordan abused Daryl in the 2017 playoff game and had 1 sack, 2 QB hits and 1 TFL. In two games against Moton last year he had 0 sacks, 1 QB hit and 0 TFL. Why would Williams be better for us at RT coming off injury and rust versus an improving not hurt, not rusty Moton? If RT is more important then I would say it’s in our best interest for the Lombardi to stop Cam Jordan and win the division. 

Im fine either way. I just don't know how much of a difference in quality there is between the two at either position. If think the drop off from Moton to Williams would be greater at LG than any separation between the two at RT. Biggest thing to me would be Moton"s experience at LG helping out a rookie LT. The left side is more worrisome to me than the right and I think Moton would help more there than Williams.

1 hour ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Rivera/Hurney/Gaulden vs.   The Huddle’s “WE’RE DOOMED IF WE DON’T GET A BETTER FS!!! YOU GUYS SUCK!” crowd. 

Wonder if we even offered anything in the supplemental draft for Jalen Thompson.  Think he was worth a 5th which is what the Cardinals offered (it would have trumped any other offer since they were at the top of the draft).

I have faith in Rivera for the most part, but even us non-doom and gloomers still wonder if we will really go into the season without adding another option at safety beyond the guys on the roster.

1 hour ago, Seltzer said:

Wonder if we even offered anything in the supplemental draft for Jalen Thompson.  Think he was worth a 5th which is what the Cardinals offered (it would have trumped any other offer since they were at the top of the draft).

I have faith in Rivera for the most part, but even us non-doom and gloomers still wonder if we will really go into the season without adding another option at safety beyond the guys on the roster.

I totally agree.  I think they are honestly going to give Gaulden a chance and if he is not ready to take that next step then Hurney and Co.will grab someone serviceable to bolster the position.  I think there will be folks available.  Not an all pro but  someone to round out the position and start.  

Archived