• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gerald McCoy visiting today!

Jeremy Igo

22 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

If we give him that much for one season then hurney truly is going all in on a super bowl this season. Makes me nervous

I have been saying for a while that this roster was about to have a lot of turnover. Heck, just look at all the contracts ending or that can be jettisoned in 2020 and 2021. Quite a few of our core players are nearing the end of their careers or nearing the end of their contracts. I can see why there is a push to win now. This team is going to look a lot different in a couple of seasons.

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

Is that from us?

That's my proposal.

Front load the guarantees it so it is the equivalent of the 1 year deal that is being rumored (unsubstantiated IMHO.) Then, you retain his services in years 2-3 if you want to work something else out.

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

That's not much fiscal restraint then at $14 million.  

If your in win now mode it really isnt

People were freaking out last year to cut Ryan Kalil to save 9 mil.  And were disappointed with Poe not living up to expectations.  McCoy comes iin and has another down season.  The staff thats already on the hotseat will be sweating bullets

Nobody's mentioning Cam's health. If you don't believe Cam's shoulder is a factor in McCoy's signing, you don't understand this at all. And they may have offered McCoy a one-year deal and rationalized it by telling him, "That way, if Cam's shoulder falls apart mid-season, you're not tied to us next year."

Whether the health of other players can actually be written into contracts, I don't know. But this may be a reason we offered a one-year deal...to protect us and frame it as protection for McCoy. McCoy wants to play in the playoffs. He knows what we are without Cam.

3 minutes ago, ncfan said:

That doesn't mean jack.  If you want him bad enough to throw big $$ multi year at him.  Your trading a 6th for him, guaranteeing you get him.

Vs letting him hit the market and having a 20-30% chance of landing him.

No one wanted to pay him 13 a year.  This was even noted back when FA first started

If you don't want the salary and you 100% sure he's getting released AND it's this late in the spring where most teams have their starters penciled in, you do take that chance.  It's not like all 32 teams were going to take a swing at McCoy just because he's on the market.  Chances were there would be a handful of teams (like it stands now) interested and you like the odds in that situation.

1 minute ago, Pup McBarky said:

Nobody's mentioning Cam's health. If you don't believe Cam's shoulder is a factor in McCoy's signing, you don't understand this at all. And they may have offered McCoy a one-year deal and rationalized it by telling him, "That way, if Cam's shoulder falls apart mid-season, you're not tied to us next year."

Whether the health of other players can actually be written into contracts, I don't know. But this may be a reason we offered a one-year deal...to protect us and frame it as protection for McCoy. McCoy wants to play in the playoffs. He knows what we are without Cam.

Also have guys like Bradberry, Shaq, Addison, Irvin, Cockrell, Daryl Williams coming up on FA next offseason 

9 minutes ago, Bronn said:

That's my proposal.

Front load the guarantees it so it is the equivalent of the 1 year deal that is being rumored (unsubstantiated IMHO.) Then, you retain his services in years 2-3 if you want to work something else out.

I think he wants something longer term...at least 5 years.  And if he asking for Aaron Donald Money, then let him go to cleveland or Bmore

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If you don't want the salary and you 100% sure he's getting released AND it's this late in the spring where most teams have their starters penciled in, you do take that chance.  It's not like all 32 teams were going to take a swing at McCoy just because he's on the market.  Chances were there would be a handful of teams (like it stands now) interested and you like the odds in that situation.

And that rolls back into, they arent going to give 12 a year for 2 if they were scared of just under 13 for 3

Correct not all 32 teams.  But 3 teams competing for him is Faaaar from guaranteed of landing him

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Joe Person

Three teams still waiting on Gerald McCoy after radio silence all weekend...

Ian Rapoport added,

2iFPS5LOdn6l_T6C.jpg
0:26
Joe PersonVerified account @josephperson
Ron Rivera says he thinks Panthers have a very good chance w/ Gerald McCoy...But concedes the other two teams involved would probably say the same thing.
0 replies2 retweets3 likes

Retweet

Direct message

4 minutes ago, KneelingCamFan said:

I think he wants something longer term...at least 5 years.  And if he asking for Aaron Donald Money, then let him go to cleveland or Bmore

He's not asking for Aaron Donald money, and a 5 year deal at this point in his career would be absurd.  The only way I could see that is with the understanding that the last 2 or 3 years are merely for financial and cap purposes and there is not a real expectation he will be on the team that long.  

Archived