• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gerald McCoy visiting today!

Jeremy Igo

Just now, The Huddler said:

elite all pro interior DL is worth that much

we arent signing a project

Is he still an elite All Pro level player? TB had him under contract for $13M (and then $12.5M for the next two years) and let him walk.

Seems like most of the guys who end up in this situation turn out to be past their prime. At that price point, this is definitely a buyer beware situation. But, at the end of the day, a lot of it depends on the structure of the contract. A three year backloaded deal with limited guaranteed money that can be gotten out from under after two seasons? Well, I'm back in. The per year averages of NFL contacts oftentimes turn out to be greatly inflated vs. what the player actually ends up putting in the bank from that contract.

While I would absolutely love McCoy I could only stomach a 13.5m (nothing more) contract under 2 circumstances :

• We cut Torrey Smith ASAP.
  • After 2 years we'd be off the hook. 

We have the cap space right now to deal with 13.5m.  And yes, that will leave our FS area exposed.  But who are we going to sign there anyways?  Tre Boston?  I mean, we can get him dirt cheap on top of a  13.5m deal anyways.  There just isnt anyone else available to spend the money on to help us.

If we were to cut Smith, that would put us at about what..23.5m cap space, so down 10m for the season?  Maybe 3m less after a few more rookie contracts.  Which gives the typical 5-6m buffer for an injury signing or two mid season.

And yes, I know there is the option to roll over some money for next year.

32 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Just heard Sirius NFL say this would be a Thurs Fri visit....expect his price to be north of 13.5.

He aint getting 4 million more than Suh, who is coming off a probowl season, been in the league just as long, and brought in to replce him

Id expect 9-10 range

34 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Is he still an elite All Pro level player? TB had him under contract for $13M (and then $12.5M for the next two years) and let him walk.

Seems like most of the guys who end up in this situation turn out to be past their prime. At that price point, this is definitely a buyer beware situation. But, at the end of the day, a lot of it depends on the structure of the contract. A three year backloaded deal with limited guaranteed money that can be gotten out from under after two seasons? Well, I'm back in. The per year averages of NFL contacts oftentimes turn out to be greatly inflated vs. what the player actually ends up putting in the bank from that contract.

This is probably his last big contract, so I don't blame him for attempting to get what he can. I really would like to get him here and I think he could be a big impact for us. That would be a tough pill to swallow if we sign him at north of $12 million. A lot will depend on how it is structured, like you said.

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

Just heard Sirius NFL say this would be a Thurs Fri visit....expect his price to be north of 13.5.

Lol! Then just show him the door! McCoy is no spring chicken and he hasn't had the most injury free career. Its already a decent size of a risk signing him at 8.5....

Archived