• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers OTA's - Thoughts and Musings

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Why you got to ruin a man’s hopium in May for?  Lol

Lol. Just trying to be real. I preach and preach about getting too attached to these 4-7th rounders and UDFA's. They rarely pan out, so I always temper my enthusiasm. Plus, if you don't really expect much from them, it makes it all the better if they do end up being a big hit.

But, a lot of guys both new and old are going to need to step up this year for us to be successful. Let's get through this offseason as healthy as possible and get ready for the preseason. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Lol. Just trying to be real. I preach and preach about getting too attached to these 4-7th rounders and UDFA's. They rarely pan out, so I always temper my enthusiasm. Plus, if you don't really expect much from them, it makes it all the better if they do end up being a big hit.

But, a lot of guys both new and old are going to need to step up this year for us to be successful. Let's get through this offseason as healthy as possible and get ready for the preseason. 

I get it.  But I actually love pulling for some of these underdog guys.  Hell I was watching some Kai Nacua tape the other night.  LMAO. 

8 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

In no way am I implying that the sky is falling or Grier is a failure.. this is purely from a draft perspective when you think about who was still on the board when we decided a backup qb was more valuable than a starter else where. I hate the idea of watching a 3 rounder just rust on the bench. And that’s the best case scenario.

I agree with you. Cam will be around longer than 4 more seasons. Say he turns out to be a mediocre backup. Are you going to pay him big bucks or let him walk after 4 years.  We could have had a veteran and used that pick on a player that could have played. 

We'll see soon enough if this was a wasted pick.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:05 PM, trueblade said:

This is not what I wanted to see. I thought Allen played well last year.

Heinicke has just performed better in practice.  Allen performs better in the games.  I wish they'd realize that and put Allen ahead of Heinicke.  He earned it last year.

Grier probably won't turn out all that great but his early OTA/ Camp struggles won't be the reason why. We all saw Cam suck in practice when he was a rookie but he has always been a game time player. Maybe it's the same for Grier but his ceiling is probably at Cams floor so there's that.

Rivera literally never has the correct depth chart so that shouldn't be a surprise about the other 2 QBs either. If Cam is healthy he'll save Rivera again but if not goodbye anyway.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:30 AM, Black&BlueBubba said:

I get it.  But I actually love pulling for some of these underdog guys.  Hell I was watching some Kai Nacua tape the other night.  LMAO. 

great attitude.what about Quin Blanding?PFF just push him.though i think he is not fast

On 5/23/2019 at 6:30 PM, Black&BlueBubba said:

Yeah, I'm kinda hopeful about Quin Blanding.  I wanted to select him in the 2018 draft as safety depth on day 3.  I think he's UVAs all-time tackler and close to the top of the ACC in career tackles.  Ran a little slower 40 than he should have and he went undrafted.   I'm not sure he has the speed we need for FS, but should be in the running for the top reserve for SS.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:08 PM, micnificent28 said:

In no way am I implying that the sky is falling or Grier is a failure.. this is purely from a draft perspective when you think about who was still on the board when we decided a backup qb was more valuable than a starter else where. I hate the idea of watching a 3 rounder just rust on the bench. And that’s the best case scenario.

In what world is Grier rusting on the bench “best case scenario”? Best case scenario if Cam gets injured is for Grier to come in and ball out, without us losing a step (a la the Eagles during their Super Bowl run). Unless you’re implying that best case scenario is that Cam stays healthy and comes back better than ever, which means we would never have to use Grier. Except the real world doesn’t operate under “best case scenario”...otherwise you go down this slippery slope where you could argue that any and all depth has zero purpose...let’s just operate under the assumption that your team’s 22 starters + ST will never get injured and perform at their peak for the entirety of their careers.

I get that us, as fans, want to root for a scenario where Cam comes back fully healthy and back to MVP form and tears the league up and so we’re, in a way, rooting for Grier to never have to take a snap...which is a strange dynamic for a third round pick. But that’s just not grounded in reality...you still need a contingency plan. You can argue that a very late 3rd round pick is too high for a contingency plan, but I see that as almost the minimum investment required for a competent backup QB, unless you get really lucky.

There are other options out there at FS and probably more so after roster cuts in August, but it seems like the team is pushing all their chips to center table on Gaulden for some reason.  A risky gamble to be sure.  The only thing I can think of is they obviously don't want to cut him in only year two and Colin Jones isn't going anywhere.  It's probably a stretch to carry five safeties.  The staff is apparently pushing Gaulden into the deep of the pool and crossing their fingers that he can swim.  I just hope they have a plan 'B' if he sinks like an anchor.  Colin Jones staring isn't a legit plan 'B'.  I don't buy the sunshine, puppy dogs and roses coach speak this time of year.  So what optimism is being shown about Gaulden right now I take with a HUGE grain...boulder of salt.

Archived