• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers OTA's - Thoughts and Musings

Jeremy Igo

20 hours ago, ncfan said:

1. Camp and Preseason is going to be exciting Heinicke isnt going to go down without a fight.  This backup QB spot is going to be Fun to watch

2. I dont see them keeping 3 vet WRs to 2 young guys.  They are in this want to get young kick.  Wright will stay due his slot and 3rd down consistency.  Godwin is going to bump Hogan or Smith for the final roster

3. Excited to hear about Gaulden.  His biggest gripe has always been his gawd awful athletic ability.  If he magically improved that, We may not be as bad off as we think.

4. The 2 young RBs take the #2 and 3 spot this year

Eh, I could see the team putting Godwin on practice squad at the beginning. Probably bump him up to starting lineup midseason, releasing one of the vets. Great to hear he's making progress though.

13 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean if Grier isn’t leaps and bounds better than Allen or Hen then what was the point? I hope he does well but I hope this wasn’t a(he’s a local kid and we are unsure of our backups)move because wow.. think of what was still there in the 3rd. I know it’s early.. day one basically, but after many questioned the pick, the first thing you don’t want to hear about is picks...

I wasn't a fan of the pick but it is waaaaay too early to be giving up on the guy. If we are still having these reports in year two or three, sure he is obviously a bust. Right now the kid has been in the NFL for about a month. 

If we get one solid back up QB out of these three guys, that is fine. If it isn't Grier, we can bitch about Hurney and the Turner's in a couple of seasons.

The sky is not falling.

13 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean if Grier isn’t leaps and bounds better than Allen or Hen then what was the point? I hope he does well but I hope this wasn’t a(he’s a local kid and we are unsure of our backups)move because wow.. think of what was still there in the 3rd. I know it’s early.. day one basically, but after many questioned the pick, the first thing you don’t want to hear about is picks...

Dude, calm down. We're not even into training camp yet.

Besides, Ron & Marty said "This is just about bringing in young guys to develop and depth". Grier's more of a project QB than starting material.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I wasn't a fan of the pick but it is waaaaay too early to be giving up on the guy. If we are still having these reports in year two or three, sure he is obviously a bust. Right now the kid has been in the NFL for about a month. 

If we get one solid back up QB out of these three guys, that is fine. If it isn't Grier, we can bitch about Hurney and the Turner's in a couple of seasons.

The sky is not falling.

In no way am I implying that the sky is falling or Grier is a failure.. this is purely from a draft perspective when you think about who was still on the board when we decided a backup qb was more valuable than a starter else where. I hate the idea of watching a 3 rounder just rust on the bench. And that’s the best case scenario.

52 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

In no way am I implying that the sky is falling or Grier is a failure.. this is purely from a draft perspective when you think about who was still on the board when we decided a backup qb was more valuable than a starter else where. I hate the idea of watching a 3 rounder just rust on the bench. And that’s the best case scenario.

Well that is assuming we did get a starter with that pick anyway. Back up QB was a big need. I don't personally think it was addressed with the Grier pick but time will tell. We've beat that horse to death. Let's let the kid adjust to the NFL and get a full season under his belt before we are too critical.

This is under the assumption he isn't pressed into action early due to a Cam injury which would definitely make him a lot more open to criticism and certainly put a big spotlight on that decision. Personally, I don't expect him to even win the #2 QB role, so I don't think that is a scenario that transpires. 

I'm really over Heinicke.  We saw him in a real game where he can actually be hit, and he was snapped in half repeatedly.

And Grier's performance is a bit troubling.  Am I wrong, or was one of his strengths anticipatory throwing?

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I'm really over Heinicke.  We saw him in a real game where he can actually be hit, and he was snapped in half repeatedly.

And Grier's performance is a bit troubling.  Am I wrong, or was one of his strengths anticipatory throwing?

Gotta learn the offense to anticipate anything. Will be more troubled if we're still hearing the same things at the end of TC.

10 minutes ago, Thama said:

Gotta learn the offense to anticipate anything. Will be more troubled if we're still hearing the same things at the end of TC.

This. Grier may be rawer than Heinicke or Allen *at the moment* but maybe he has a higher ceiling... Got to give him some time to settle in.  And I say that as someone who wasn't really thrilled with picking a QB at 100. But I understand Hurney and Tepper's thought process that we need to do more in terms of strengthening our depth at QB and that Grier was an excellent value at 100.

I do assume we'll end up with 3 QBs on the roster, even though that's going to create a squeeze at another position.

If all the players mentioned here can step up we will be in good shape this year. 

If Gaulden can play a decent FS our defense could be really good. 

Having Samuel break out would give our offense an awesome diversity of targets.  Moore, Samuel, Wright, Olsen, and CMC.  Have fun shutting all them down.  

I was confused on the Scarlett pick in the beginning. But after doing some homework he is the guy I a rooting for to unseat CAP and actually provide someone for defenses to have to play honest against.  Maybe not year one but going forward I hope he can take some pressure off CMC.  And run some 4 min offense through him to grind out a game with a sprinkle of Holyfield. 

I was watching some more tape on Godwin the other night.  Man I like his hands. Route running is pretty good too.  Hope he can show out on ST.  It would be great to have a 7th rounder make the roster and be the replacement for Wright in a couple years.  

14 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

If all the players mentioned here can step up we will be in good shape this year. 

If Gaulden can play a decent FS our defense could be really good. 

Having Samuel break out would give our offense an awesome diversity of targets.  Moore, Samuel, Wright, Olsen, and CMC.  Have fun shutting all them down.  

I was confused on the Scarlett pick in the beginning. But after doing some homework he is the guy I a rooting for to unseat CAP and actually provide someone for defenses to have to play honest against.  Maybe not year one but going forward I hope he can take some pressure off CMC.  And run some 4 min offense through him to grind out a game with a sprinkle of Holyfield. 

I was watching some more tape on Godwin the other night.  Man I like his hands. Route running is pretty good too.  Hope he can show out on ST.  It would be great to have a 7th rounder make the roster and be the replacement for Wright in a couple years.  

Yeah, it's unlikely that they all are able to step up and contribute but even if we end up with 4 guys out of this draft as starters or depth guys, we are on the right track. Burns and Little have to be hits, because of position and the fact we traded up. If we can muster 2-3 from the rest of the class, it will be an a monster draft class.

Gaulden will just simply have to be serviceable. We honestly have no other options, which is extremely scary. 

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, it's unlikely that they all are able to step up and contribute but even if we end up with 4 guys out of this draft as starters or depth guys, we are on the right track. Burns and Little have to be hits, because of position and the fact we traded up. If we can muster 2-3 from the rest of the class, it will be an a monster draft class.

Gaulden will just simply have to be serviceable. We honestly have no other options, which is extremely scary. 

Why you got to ruin a man’s hopium in May for?  Lol

Archived