• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers OTA's - Thoughts and Musings

Jeremy Igo

The Carolina Panthers held their first media friendly OTA session today which gave me the opportunity to get a preview of the 2019 squad. Due to policy I am unable to comment on everything I see or hear. But here are a few thoughts and musings I can safely share. 

- Cam Newton did not throw. Much like two seasons ago, he went through the motions of the quarterback drill but did not throw the ball. However, unlike two seasons ago his training and rehab does include aggressive throwing motions which is good to see. 

- Taylor Heinicke received the majority of reps at quarterback in Cam Newton's place. Following Heinicke was Will Grier. Kyle Allen took the third string reps. 

- Heinicke looked sharp for the most part. He connected on the majority of his throws. He showed a particular chemistry with Curtis Samuel who also had a very nice day. 

- Speaking of Samuel, he may be the breakout player of 2019 if today is any indication. He is light years ahead of where he has been in OTAs past. Samuel ended the day with a long TD reception over Eric Reid. 

- Will Grier continues his growing pains. Grier threw multiple interceptions and others that should have been. Grier's biggest hurdle at the moment is all mental. He appears to be thinking more than playing. His throws are a fraction of a second too late. I look forward to seeing what he can really do once he has a better grasp of the offense. 

- Rookie receiver Terry Godwin looked impressive in rookie camp and also again today. Godwin has an outisde shot of making this team if he can also prove to be an adequate returner. 

- Gaulden played both the safety and nickel positions, confirmed by Ron Rivera after practice. Gaulden was step for step with the speedy Curtis Samuel on more than one occasion and covered him well. 

- RB Jordan Scarlett showed impressive speed on multiple runs today. More people should be talking about him. 

24 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

- Taylor Heinicke received the majority of reps at quarterback in Cam Newton's place. Following Heinicke was Will Grier. Kyle Allen took the third string reps. 

- Heinicke looked sharp for the most part. He connected on the majority of his throws. He showed a particular chemistry with Curtis Samuel who also had a very nice day. 

- Will Grier continues his growing pains. Grier threw multiple interceptions and others that should have been. Grier's biggest hurdle at the moment is all mental. He appears to be thinking more than playing. His throws are a fraction of a second too late. I look forward to seeing what he can really do once he has a better grasp of the offense. 

- Rookie receiver Terry Godwin looked impressive in rookie camp and also again today. Godwin has an outisde shot of making this team if he can also prove to be an adequate returner. 

- Gaulden played both the safety and nickel positions, confirmed by Ron Rivera after practice. Gaulden was step for step with the speedy Curtis Samuel on more than one occasion and covered him well. 

- RB Jordan Scarlett showed impressive speed on multiple runs today. More people should be talking about him. 

1. Camp and Preseason is going to be exciting Heinicke isnt going to go down without a fight.  This backup QB spot is going to be Fun to watch

2. I dont see them keeping 3 vet WRs to 2 young guys.  They are in this want to get young kick.  Wright will stay due his slot and 3rd down consistency.  Godwin is going to bump Hogan or Smith for the final roster

3. Excited to hear about Gaulden.  His biggest gripe has always been his gawd awful athletic ability.  If he magically improved that, We may not be as bad off as we think.

4. The 2 young RBs take the #2 and 3 spot this year

25 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

- Will Grier continues his growing pains. Grier threw multiple interceptions and others that should have been. Grier's biggest hurdle at the moment is all mental. He appears to be thinking more than playing.

welcome to NFL,just a shocking lesson

28 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

glad to see that,but dont want him to return

31 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

his question is not seed,is judgment and catching IMO,wait to see

I am pretty lowkey excited about our late draft picks.

I am not excited in the sense that I expect starters.  But finding quality people there that could actually make the team.  Too often I just..don't care.  Feels like the late picks are just going through the motion of the draft.  Getting warm bodies for camp.

But there are some legit guys we were able to grab late that could prove to be a surprise (relative to where we got them).  Once again, not sayins Scarlett, Godwin, etc. are going to be starters, have a great NFL career, whatever.  But you still need quality back ups/depth.  

We constantly say that Hurney is great at round 1, who falls off fast in the draft.  And I get that.  And that could definitely still happen in this draft.

But from round 4 we grabbed Christian Miller, Scarlett, Daley, Godwin.  All guys I can see making the team and benefiting the Panthers as a whole.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

The Carolina Panthers held their first media friendly OTA session today which gave me the opportunity to get a preview of the 2019 squad. Due to policy I am unable to comment on everything I see or hear. But here are a few thoughts and musings I can safely share. 

This is not what I wanted to see. I thought Allen played well last year.

14 minutes ago, trueblade said:

This is not what I wanted to see. I thought Allen played well last year.

They know what they have in Allen during rookie camp. They want to see what they have in the other 2. It doesn't mean that is where they see them down the road.

Archived