• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Name your 5 Panthers receivers.

Jeremy Igo

I love Jarius and hope he gets more time on the field.  He is Mr. Reliable at moving the sticks.  May not flash, but he is an asset.  I think Cam trusts him too.  Good chance he plays better in his second year with us.  He knows Norv's system.  Vikes fans were pissed when we signed him.

14 hours ago, top dawg said:

Smith and Wright are aging stopgaps. Moore and especially Samuel provide speed! Godwin is a younger, better version of Wright (mark my words). Godwin is probably also more versatile than Wright as he could believably play on the outside. 

As Godwin and Samuel can play the slot, I just see Wright's skill set as more redundant than Smith's. But honestly, I wouldn't cry if we ultimately unload one or the other, or both.

If we cut Wright then Marty and Ron should be fired. There were games last year he was the best receiver on the field

32 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

If we cut Wright then Marty and Ron should be fired. There were games last year he was the best receiver on the field

Nah, man, that statement makes me cringe. He made some key plays at times, but he was never ever the best receiver on the field, and if he was, it's because Moore and Samuel were being brought along slowly for different reasons.

Panthers fans are still suffering from PTSD of having below average receivers for so many years that they don't know a bench warmer versus a legitimate play maker at the position. Jarius Wright is the fourth or fifth option in most receiving corps, and that's what he should be on ours. He is no one's legit starter. He has proven what he is, and last year played to script. He had opportunities to increase his stature in Minny when the injury bug hit them hard, and much like a Philly Brown or Russell Shepard, he just really couldn't raise his level of play consistently (which happens if you're a true bench guy going against starting corners week in and week out).  I believe that Panthers fans should resist blowing JAG receivers out of proportion, and to suggest that a bench guy's release is a "fireable" offense is beyond funny to me.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

So you are saying that since Smith's average dropped because all he could run was shorter routes-because the QB could not throw the nines or sevens--Smith's  bread and butter--you think that disproves his premise (that Smith's stats are not indicative of his ability because Cam could not throw the long ball)?  Not sure that is logical.

You are using the stats that the poster said to ignore last season because Cam was not able to get him the ball.  You are saying, "Yeah, but look at his stats last year!  You are wrong!"  ???  Do I understand your point?

You do not understand my point. A trend is not one year; hence, check more than the past year.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:53 AM, MechaZain said:

Torrey was brought in as a deep threat and his QB couldn't throw it so I'm giving him a pass on last season. 

Samuel can be the deep threat, Smith is just too expensive with too little to offer except speed, look for him to be a final cut.

23 hours ago, top dawg said:

Wright is JAG, and that's why the Vikings simply let him go, and it's also why he was not really a coveted or even talked-about receiver when he became a free agent. What he does, any slot receiver worth his weight in gold should do, IMO. Godwin is an ex five star recruit who went to a run-first school, was in an offense that spread the ball to several mouths to feed, ended up in one coach's dawghouse for perceived lack of effort in blocking, had a better season under a regime change, and then was basically derailed by injury during his senior season. But, he still showed enough promise---telltale traits that indicated why he was a five star recruit in the first place---to attract the pros. He is an excellent route runner with insane hands (one drop in 2018, as well as a career with few drops) and high football IQ. The thing that could land him on the PS is only his lack of  functional strength. That's it. That as well as Wright's experience is the only real reason I can see Wright making the roster over him. 

If things go to the normal script, then Rivera (Norv and Hurney) will exclaim the virtues of competition, which will be fully rhetorical in nature, but keep the aging vet per his default position...unless the pressure of Tepper changes things. Godwin making the 53 will be indicative of true change, because he has youth on his side and skills to surpass Wright this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgnation.com/football/3-things-to-know-about-wr-terry-godwin-one-of-georgias-all-time-playmakers/amp

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2018/01/17/terry-godwin-had-highest-wr-rating-of-any-draft-eligible-receiver-still-came-back/

https://mobile.twitter.com/pff_college/status/895759423766921216

Being a five star recruit has a pretty good correlation with NFL success. Being a seventh round draft pick absolutely does not. We will see what happens. I don't doubt he has some talent but he is also a long shot to make this roster. Especially when you consider that Rivera strongly prefers veteran presences, which Smith and Wright are.

I also think you are dramatically underestimating Wright. He has been pretty damn good for us. 

My preference would be:

Moore, Samuel, Hogan, Wright, Godwin

It's senseless to carry Torrey Smith at $5M. I'm open to anyone other than Smith at #5. We also know that if Smith is on the roster, he'll take meaningful snaps away from better, younger players because Ron and his favorites.

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My preference would be:

Moore, Samuel, Hogan, Wright, Godwin

It's senseless to carry Torrey Smith at $5M. I'm open to anyone other than Smith at #5. We also know that if Smith is on the roster, he'll take meaningful snaps away from better, younger players because Ron and his favorites.

I don't think he's so much one of Ron's favorites as he is Tepper's.  Smith is a community activist and that's something Tepper totally digs.  Just about everyone agrees Smith should be gone and yet here he is.  We have speed now, we have veteran leadership now and we have depth.  Those were the reasons why we brought Torrey here in the first place and all those issues have since been addressed.  So why is Torrey still here?  He's in good with the top of the organization; it's as plain and simple as that.

52 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I don't think he's so much one of Ron's favorites as he is Tepper's.  Smith is a community activist and that's something Tepper totally digs.  Just about everyone agrees Smith should be gone and yet here he is.  We have speed now, we have veteran leadership now and we have depth.  Those were the reasons why we brought Torrey here in the first place and all those issues have since been addressed.  So why is Torrey still here?  He's in good with the top of the organization; it's as plain and simple as that.

You're acting like there aren't ample examples of Ron playing scrub vets over better, younger, higher ceiling players.

45 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You're acting like there aren't ample examples of Ron playing scrub vets over better, younger, higher ceiling players.

There are plenty of instances, but I think this goes beyond just Ron. 

Archived