• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Rookie Camp - Thoughts and Musings

Jeremy Igo

Now that I have had 24 hours to digest the Carolina Panthers rookie camp over a bottle of Crown, I submit to you the following thoughts. 

- Seeing Brian Burns and Christian Miller play the edge in a 3-4 set is really exciting. However, when they moved down into the 4-3 set together with their hands in the dirt it was equally as concerning. I doubt we ever actually see that in a game. Neither have the size to handle a NFL OT nose to nose.

- Burns could put on some lower body strength, which he no doubt will over the next year. People compare him to Von Miller which is great, but Miller seems more physically proportional. 

D6OFmBnXsAMaXKO.jpg

- Kyle Allen was probably the most impressive player in rookie camp. For the first time in a long while rookie camp had a QB that didn't struggle for the majority of the time. Sure, he had bad throws, but the number of good throws outnumbered them by far. 

- Will Grier had a typical rookie camp. New scheme, new coaches, new players. Not exactly ideal for any rookie. He struggled for most of it. Ron Rivera said he was impressed with how fast Grier is picking up the offense, so thats good. 

- I don't believe Grier and Allen are fighting for a roster spot. Grier makes the team no matter what. Kyle Allen and Taylor Heinicke are fighting for a jersey. To most fans Allen seems like the sure fire winner here but that isn't exactly how it worked out last season. Who knows with Rivera. 

- WR Terry Godwin looked very impressive. It just isn't clear where a small rookie receiver fits on this team. Perhaps if they release Torrey Smith?

- Greg Little is big. That's really all that can be said about him at this point until contact is allowed. He got most of his looks at left tackle. 

- RB Holyfield is slow I am told, that is why he was not drafted. However, he looked like a NFL RB to my eyes. The fact that he caught every single pass thrown to him is encouraging. 

- My shoes are still not dry from Friday's practice. 

Good to hear about Allen looking good, but he should considering he has been here a year. It will be interesting to watch that QB battle in the preseason. 

I was watching Christian Miller against college OTs. When he used his hands to keep them at bay, he was successful. He has the "quick, violent hands" going for him and long arms. Burns just need to get in that strength program. He will be good as that DPR at first.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Now that I have had 24 hours to digest the Carolina Panthers rookie camp over a bottle of Crown, I submit to you the following thoughts. 

- Seeing Brian Burns and Christian Miller play the edge in a 3-4 set is really exciting. However, when they moved down into the 4-3 set together with their hands in the dirt it was equally as concerning. I doubt we ever actually see that in a game. Neither have the size to handle a NFL OT nose to nose.

- Burns could put on some lower body strength, which he no doubt will over the next year. People compare him to Von Miller which is great, but Miller seems more physically proportional. 

D6OFmBnXsAMaXKO.jpg

- Kyle Allen was probably the most impressive player in rookie camp. For the first time in a long while rookie camp had a QB that didn't struggle for the majority of the time. Sure, he had bad throws, but the number of good throws outnumbered them by far. 

- Will Grier had a typical rookie camp. New scheme, new coaches, new players. Not exactly ideal for any rookie. He struggled for most of it. Ron Rivera said he was impressed with how fast Grier is picking up the offense, so thats good. 

- I don't believe Grier and Allen are fighting for a roster spot. Grier makes the team no matter what. Kyle Allen and Taylor Heinicke are fighting for a jersey. To most fans Allen seems like the sure fire winner here but that isn't exactly how it worked out last season. Who knows with Rivera. 

- WR Terry Godwin looked very impressive. It just isn't clear where a small rookie receiver fits on this team. Perhaps if they release Torrey Smith?

- Greg Little is big. That's really all that can be said about him at this point until contact is allowed. He got most of his looks at left tackle. 

- RB Holyfield is slow I am told, that is why he was not drafted. However, he looked like a NFL RB to my eyes. The fact that he caught every single pass thrown to him is encouraging. 

- My shoes are still not dry from Friday's practice. 

So this is the most encouraging news out of rookie camp in a while. 

2 upside Edge defenders.  Yes we still need another DL like Bailey IMO to have a successful 3-4 defense .

We will have 2 capable backup QB’s with Grier and Allen.  I think you keep Allen over Heinicke due to his upside.  In a couple years we can trade one for some capital.  

Godwin made the guys at the EW shrine game look like scrubs. Love his route running and hands.  Could be a viable slot guy in a year or two.  Short term I hope he balls out so we can offload Smith’s contract. Hogan can handle Smiths role.    Maybe keep a developmental guy like Jeanpiere on the PS.  

As for Little with left tackle.  I didn’t like the trade up but if he can be a quality LT for the next 10 years it was worth it.  That will be determined when the pads go on. 

As for the RB’s, I am digging the new additions.  I was on record not really caring about the Holyfield signing. But I have changed my tune on that one after watching a bunch of tape.  He doesn’t have top end speed but his burst and contact balance are enough to be successful in the league I think.  Also like Scarlett’s speed/power combo.  Both will need to improve on their receiving ability.  

Looking for to camp much more this year. 

Archived