• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The QBs today

Jeremy Igo

Have to say this is the best the quarterbacks have looked in rookie camp for as long as I can remember. Usually it is cringe worthy. 

Really encouraging to see young talent being groomed for the backup spot if needed. 

Kyle Allen looked a bit sharper today, which is to be expected, having played a year in the pros. Will be interesting to see if/when Grier catches up.

About Allen and Grier, the QB situation in the NFL is very interesting.  Most top young QBs go to bad teams and bust, and then  you  have decent success from the guys who are given a year or two on a good team.  SF (garrapolo), LA Rams (Goff sat till they got good), Minnesota (Cousins was not even the top QB drafted on the team that drafted him),   Ravens (Jackson)---

Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme--2 Super Bowl QBs---were on the Amsterdam Admirals at one time.  Some are late bloomers.  It is possible. I know one game does not make a career, but  he showed some maturity. 

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

I hope that Grier and Allen look good. It would be nice to have some trade bait and good backups. I really hope that the Heinecke experience is done. I have no idea how he was in front of Allen. He can run, but as a QB/passer, it couldn’t be more clear that Allen was better.

Garrett Gilbert is better than Heinecke. You could definitely tell the difference in preseason when Gilbert came in after him. 

4 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

Good to hear. I imagine Grier will look much better once he gets the system downpat. He is known for a quick release and his accuracy. 

His mechanics are wacked though. He's going to need a good year to address his weak arm caused by his wind up. Get that fixed and he has the accuracy of Rodgers or Brees.

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

On one game and that's it?

He is tested in NFL setting and if we have a must win game I would go with him unless something else happens.  Ron likes rookies sit, even Moore our first round draft pick saw limited action until circumstances threw him in the mix.  

Just FYI, Kyle Allen was a five-star/# 8 overall recruit in the country coming out of high school in the 247sports composite rankings which is combination of all the major recruiting services. 

Its good to finally have good backup QB situation with him and Grier. I really think Cam is going to have a big year if his arm holds up, though.

On 5/11/2019 at 12:47 AM, GoPanthers123 said:

He is tested in NFL setting and if we have a must win game I would go with him unless something else happens.  Ron likes rookies sit, even Moore our first round draft pick saw limited action until circumstances threw him in the mix.  

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's tested. Experience maybe but tested would mean he seen it all. The saints had nothing to play for that game and all their starters we're riding the bench. Allen saw a vanilla defense. He basically played a pre season game. I wouldn't be so sure he'd be starting if there was a must win game. 

Archived