• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Settings Expections: There will be plenty of Grier coverage this weekend.

Jeremy Igo

Just setting an early expectation here.

A) There will be a lot of Will Grier coverage this weekend. As a QB he will get many reps and be clearly visible. Also, QB is one of the few positions that observations can be made (as opposed to DL and OL).

B) This does not mean there is a QB controversy or the media will be trying to start one. It simply means that for the first time in eight years there is a QB that is relevant in rookie camp. That in itself is a story.

This is going to be a cluster fug of a preseason; every bad throw Cam makes will be taken out of context, expanded upon and be broken down to the smallest detail. While, everygood throw Grier will be as if God himself made the throw. 

4 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

This is going to be a cluster fug of a preseason; every bad throw Cam makes will be taken out of context, expanded upon and be broken down to the smallest detail. While, everygood throw Grier will be as if God himself made the throw. 

I think if Cam is throwing in preseason most Panthers fans will be nothing but relieved.

Personally, I am happy to have a backup QB (or 2) with potential. This roster is a playoff roster with a competent QB. Lets hope Cam is much better health-wise this year, but if not we need someone who can come in and be decent. Maybe Kyle Allen or Will Grier can do that.

Honestly, this is fine.  It's pretty clear Cam isn't "scared" or "concerned" about Will Grier.  We shouldn't be either.  We should hope that Will Grier becomes a solid NFL starter.  He's on our team, he's ours, the better he is, the better we are whether that's by flipping him for high picks later or because he takes over for Cam at some point.  As Panther fans, we should be 100% behind the idea of Will Grier being amazing.

If we're just being honest, mostly just the fairweatherish fans will be concerned about what our backup quarterback looks like in camp.

I'm more concerned about what our secondary will look like. If our QB's are lighting up our defense, we're entering into a whole different convo. We still face Brees and Ryan two games each and have to get through them for playoff hopes and positioning.

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

If we're just being honest, mostly just the fairweatherish fans will be concerned about what our backup quarterback looks like in camp.

I'm more concerned about what our secondary will look like. If our QB's are lighting up our defense, we're entering into a whole different convo. We still face Brees and Ryan two games each and have to get through them for playoff hopes and positioning.

I don't agree with your view on the backup quarterback. Our season fell apart last year once Cam got injured. Wouldn't it be nice to have a backup that could win us some games should Cam get injured?

We should all hope Grier can at least look like an average NFL QB. If so, it will at least put our mind at ease somewhat about the pick and the backup situation. Make no mistake, some in the media will try and spin this into a controversy. There will be no controversy if Cam is healthy. Don't get baited by the media and social media trolls.

Just now, Dex said:

I don't agree with your view on the backup quarterback. Our season fell apart last year once Cam got injured. Wouldn't it be nice to have a backup that could win us some games should Cam get injured?

I'm not saying it's not relevant, I'm more curious to see what he looks like in preseason if we're wanting a definitive look. Camp for rookie QB's are all usually pretty standard. He'll make some throws, and miss some throws. We won't know much of anything from July. The biggest story will be how Cam is throwing.

Let's just hope Grier looks solid in preseason. Because you know how people get here after a few errant throws.

Archived