• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney says some teams had a first round grade in Will Grier.

Jeremy Igo

I heard quite a few analysts say they had him as the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the draft, but I'm not sure what NFL teams thought of him. Anyway, we didn't draft him in the first. It was almost the 4th. Let's all hope he turns out to be good.

6 hours ago, mjligon said:

But that’s exactly the problem.

We don’t have the luxury of avoiding other positions of need to draft a 24 year old backup quarterback with our 3rd pick in the draft.

That isn’t going to help us make the playoffs this season. 

I don't think every draft choice should be made only with consideration for how they can immediately contribute... We also had need of a decent option at backup QB given the uncertainty in Cam's recovery from the shoulder issues.  This may not be as big a need as some other positions given we are all planning to see Cam make it completely back from his injury, but it was still a need that we were able to address while still addressing larger needs with earlier picks.  I was afraid we would see a classic Hurney 1.0 reach for Grier, but I really don't think we did.  100 is a fine position to take a quality depth player IMO.

and as to the topic at hand, I wouldn't be surprised if some teams did have a late 1st round grade on him.  But that doesn't mean much.

The same guy that had a first round grade on Clausen. The same guy that traded up for The Armanti Edwards, who he could've got as a UDFA. So far Hurney 2.0 is proving he's no different than 1.0. At least we know Burns will be a All-Pro though.

I actually think some did, but everyone's lying if they say they never draft for need.  Point is, 10-20 teams wont draft a qb that early because they have an established franchise qb and/or they have bigger needs elsewhere.  Then a few more added who draft their QBs early which doesnt mean they didnt have first round grades on him, just liked other guys more.  With the hype, I think it's entirely possible that 3-4 teams had grier as a late first round player.

5 minutes ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

Otah was good. He just got hurt. You can't blame people for that.

He was good. He was also lazy and unmotivated, which ultimately contributed to his injuries.

A GM isn’t completely devoid of blame in circumstances where laziness and lack of motivation take over.

I can't say what other teams thought. I would guess that others guys might have told him that. I don't know. Why would you have a first round evaluation on a quarterback and not draft him in the third? The same reason we haven't drafted one since 2011 and even now it was brought on to have a backup plan.  Other teams may not have needed a quarterback and had other guys they wanted at other positions.  Who knows and honestly who cares. Hurney gets to say whatever he wants right now. Soon we will see the end result which is how everyone will judge him.

Why the outrage and wasted pick talk. He is insurance which you hope you don't have to exercise because that means you just had a loss. We need Cam to be 100% and start. This is Scott Turner's protege so let's see how he does. A third round compensatory pick isn't too high to see if Scott is as good a quarterback coach as he needs to be. Especially if he plans on taking over for Norv one day.  If he is great wouldn't it be nice to be grooming our  own version of Nick Foles if Cam gets hurt. At least until Cam comes back.

tl/dr.    Hurney will be judged on the record. Let him talk. Grier is cheap insurance we hope we don't need.

10 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

yeaah um is this the same guy that traded up for Armanti Edwards?

Keep listening to what other teams are telling ya, Hurndog

lol...I am just so happy that Hurney did not trade up for Grier.  Hurney says he learned from his past mistakes...I think maybe he did.

9 hours ago, mjligon said:

The hype around this kid is ridiculous.

Jimmy Clausen likely also had quite a few “first round grades” on him as well.

Hurney sitting around pounding his chest like he struck gold using a third rounder on a position that we all should hope never sees the field.

We need a quality backup...even a guy you hope does not see the field. We got one at a very good price who could develop into starter material.  If that happens...he becomes very valuable as a trade.  New England seems to understand how that works.  We do not want to be 1 injury away from losing the season.  Worked out well for Philly...their backup was MVP in the SB.

Can't understand why people are upset with this.

5 hours ago, mjligon said:

Yes the same one who drafted Jimmy Clausen and Jeff Otah, as well. 

Just in case you wanted to make a better comparison?

Wait a minute! Jeff Otah pre-injury was a roadgrader. He was pancaking dudes.

I'll give you Jimmy and raise you an Armanti Edwards.

5 hours ago, stbugs said:

He also drafted Amini. Drafting Cam at #1 isn’t all that hard. He spent a 2nd on Clausen the year before and he was so bad that we were in position to draft Cam the next year. His ineptitude in the prior 3 drafts allowed us to pick #1 and #9 in back to back years.

I don’t even mind the pick, but it’s delusional to believe what he said for a QB picked at 100.

Having an insurance policy is smart. If guys had a first round grade on Greir, great. I think Marty's special players outweigh the not so good ones. Glass half full. I'm giving him extra credit for Jackson and DJ last year. Prolific.

He's actually doing a good job without Jerry Richardson.

Archived