• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predict the Panthers defensive tackle rotation in 3-4 formation

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Man Strength said:

Gentle reminder that we will likely only play base 3-4 20-30% of the time. 2-4, 4-2, 3-3 and 2-3 are more likely 

Coverage is for weak sissies that can’t get to the QB. Look at our personell. It’s obvious that Ron wants to go Bears 4-6. I predict legendary defense, undefeated season, catchy pop-hit for the superb owl. 

If we are going full 3-4 I still think we need another 3-4 starting caliber DE. He are some options left in FA. 

packersb_logo.gif Muhammad Wilkerson, DE/DT, Packers. Age: 29.  star.gifstar.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif 
From 2012 to 2015, Muhammad Wilkerson was considered a top-five 3-4 defensive end. It could've even been argued that he was the second-best player at his position in the entire league, behind only J.J. Watt. Wilkerson was rewarded with a 5-year, $87 million deal in the summer of 2016. Wilkerson mailed it in after that, then was cut. Wilkerson joined the Packers and played very well for three games before suffering a season-ending injury. Wilkerson isn't 30 yet, so he could continue to play on a high level for a team that has a strong locker room.

ravensb_logo.gif Brent Urban, DE/DT, Ravens. Age: 28.  star.gifstar.gifhalfstar.gif 
Brent Urban is a stellar run defender as a rotational defensive lineman, but he offers very little as a pass rusher.

chiefsb_logo.gif Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Chiefs. Age: 30. star.gifstar.gif 
Allen Bailey has been a decent starting defensive end for the Chiefs over the years. He has no weaknesses, but isn't great at anything either.

1. cardinalsb_logo.gif Rodney Gunter, DE/DT, Cardinals. Age: 27.  star.gifstar.gif 
    Rodney Gunter is a solid run defender who can get to the quarterback on occasion. He can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4. 

I agree with those saying they would keep Butler. I don't know why we would cut Butler when we are extremely thin at 3-4 DE. Even if we do pick up a 3-4 DE, we need depth. 

My biggest question is how we are going to rotate Addison, Irvin, Burns and Miller. All 4 would be great on 3rd down so not quite sure who we choose to be on the field. 

20 hours ago, Bronn said:

Of course, there will be some interchangeable pieces. I don't buy that we're going full 3-4 conversion, and I think we're just going to hybrid a 3-4 and 4-3.

That said, re-read my post. I illustrated at least two possible 3-4 fronts, with one guy rotating out. Obviously, on passing downs, the third end lineman outside of the Short, Poe, and Love rotation will be Cox or anyone else from that Edge pool.

If you're looking at my proposed roster with old, 4-3 eyes only, we've got the 9 lineman you suggest. Short, Poe, Love, Addison, Cox, Burns, Obada, Haynes, and one of the off-chance-to-make-the-roster guys or an FA.

It isn't as simple as generic LBs anymore, either. I fully illustrated how guys like Burns, Irvin, etc. fit different roles, depending on the look we're showing and the situation. Burns, Irvin, and Miller are all even listed as DE/LB on the Panthers' own website. They will be used as both ends and LBs, I think even in both the 3-4 and the 4-3.

It is all about versatility now, and outside of the generic, defined role skillset guys like Short, Poe, and Love, we have guys that can line up at multiple positions. You can't simply say "okay we're gonna keep 9 defensive linemen, 8 LBs, and 8 DBs" anymore, because almost all our positions on defense now will be pulling multiple duties. Even in the secondary, depending on the look.

I just think there is a good chance we carry 6 3-4 Dlineman.  Short, Butler, Poe, Love, Cox and one more.

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

I honestly think we didn’t scount him. NFL.com was the lowest ranking (4th-5th) I saw on him. After the Senior Bowl week where he looked amazing and his combine (better than Collier), he was mocked/ranked 2nd/3rd almost everywhere. There were around 10 OL on day 1/day 2 that I believe we’re at the Senior Bowl so I’d you shined as a DL, you should be noticed. That’s one of the reasons Collier went in the 1st.

I think Marty has tunnel vision. Same thing last year. There was a tackle (Crosby from Oregon) available when we picked Haynes with the 4th round comp. He was graded around a 3rd and we desperately needed OL depth. I was amazed that we ignored him. It made so much sense.

I think we banked so much of PFF’s rankings and I definitely think we stuck to guys and didn’t look at who was falling. Omenihu would have given us 3 of the front 5 future guys in 3-4 in one draft. I was driving so I only heard the pick and didn’t really know who was available otherwise I would have been yelling to take him. We knew OL and DL were the main issues and we could have used something like a future 5th to secure Scarlett with no issues. I hate missed opportunities when it seems like we just couldn’t go off script. We could have save $2+ million in cap by dumping Butler. 

It is very hard for me to buy into some of that rationale. You’re saying there was this DE that dominated the Senior Bowl and we never bothered to scout him? I am guessing you believe we did watch the Senior Bowl considering it’s the most highly scrutinized tape for any participating NFL prospect. Therefore we witnessed a player at our highest position of need, dominate the top-level o-line competition, and we did not bother to scout him?

I’m honesty not trying to be snarky or anything, but are you familiar with how the scouting process works? It’s not Marty Hurney who flies all over the country and watches players and personally scouts them year-round.  We have a team of regional scouts who are responsible for the colleges in their region. Omenihu went to the University of Texas, a top Division 1 football school in the Big 12, so I have no doubt that whoever that regional scout is, he would have spent a lot of time at that school with the coaches and players, and also watching tons of UT tape. I have a good friend who used to be an NFL scout for the Redskins; there is a LOT behind the scenes that goes into scouting, and it’s essentially a year-round thing. Our big board also is not made solely by Hurney, but is a culmination of all the scouting of our entire team of scouts.

It would be extremely unprofessional and downright irresponsible for us to have straight up neglected to scout a mid-round prospect at our highest position of need...and put aside your feelings for Marty (not saying you personally, but people in general), because that would be an indictment on our entire scouting team, not just Hurney. That’s why I’m of the mindset that it was much more likely that Omenihu was on our board, but we were not as high on him as you and these draft publications which you say had him as a 2nd-3rd round pick. And I hate to use this cliched line, but 31 other GMs appear to have agreed that those publications overvalued him as well, considering he went late in the 5th. When you have players like DK Metcalf mocked at the top of the first round and Deionte Thompson in the first or second, then we have to acknowledge the limitations of all these mock drafts all over the internet.

I feel like I have to suspend my disbelief quite a bit to buy into all of that. I’m also not sure why you keep mentioning that he outperformed Collier in the Combine. Collier was never considered a very athletic prospect and certainly was not drafted for his athleticism/Combine performance.

Archived