• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predict the Panthers defensive tackle rotation in 3-4 formation

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Wow did I fug this thread up. 

I think the most common line ups will be:

Addison Poe Short

Addison Poe Cox

Addison Love Short 

Cox Poe Short 

I dont think Butler is in the plans.

I know you didnt have Efe Obada on your predicted roster.  As now with Burns, Miller, Haynes, Addison, Irvin at OLB

You think Obada could compete at that 3-4DE spot? 

Because I find it interesting you have Cox on there.  When Irvin came in, he specifically mentioned Cox as a guy he cant wait to.work with because he reminded him of himself.  And Irvin isnt quite the 3-4DE type.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Wow did I fug this thread up. 

I think the most common line ups will be:

Addison Poe Short

Addison Poe Cox

Addison Love Short 

Cox Poe Short 

I dont think Butler is in the plans.

Addison will be playing OLB.

DE- Short, Love, Cox

NT - Poe and Butler (Butler will play DE some also)

I really think we carry at least 6 D-lineman so I expect us to add someone.

They will rotate them and also a lot will be determined by down and distance.

You might see something like Love-Poe-Butler on a running down and then Short-Butler-Cox on a passing down.

If you watch the last game of last year you can see us running some 3-4.  Short was out that game but they had Cox and Love as DEs and Poe at NT.  Butler played both NT and DE.  So the formations I saw were:

Love-Poe-Butler

Love-Butler-Cox

Addison was playing OLB.

38 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Addison will be playing OLB.

DE- Short, Love, Cox

NT - Poe and Butler (Butler will play DE some also)

I really think we carry at least 6 D-lineman so I expect us to add someone.

They will rotate them and also a lot will be determined by down and distance.

You might see something like Love-Poe-Butler on a running down and then Short-Butler-Cox on a passing down.

If you watch the last game of last year you can see us running some 3-4.  Short was out that game but they had Cox and Love as DEs and Poe at NT.  Butler played both NT and DE.  So the formations I saw were:

Love-Poe-Butler

Love-Butler-Cox

Addison was playing OLB.

This is correct. And we are going to need to pick someone up, we ain’t got enough

Short - Poe - Love on running downs in the 3-4

Short - Poe - Cox on passing downs in the 3-4

Rotates to:

Addison - Short - Poe - Cox AND/OR Addison - Love - Short - Burns/Obada on all downs in the 4-3

I agree, Butler isn't in the immediate plans. Someone like TJ Barnes, Destiny Vaeao, or Elijah Qualls will make the team over him, unless we sign someone else.

I think our Defensive roster breaks down as this:

(4)

DT/NT: Poe, (Candidate from above or FA)*
DT/DE: Short, Love, (Candidate from above or FA)*

*NOTE - I only think we'll keep one extra guy outside of Poe, Short, and Love.

(5)

4-3 DE: Addison, Cox, Burns, Obada, Haynes

(7)

3-4 OLB/EDGE: Irvin, Miller, Burns (double duty)
4-3 OLB: Thompson
MLB: Keuchly, Carter, Smith, Norris

(9)

CB: Bradberry, Cockrell, Seymour
NB: Jackson, Elder
FS: Gaulden, Jones
SS: Reid, Searcy

That's my 25 positions on Defense right now. If we only carry Cam and Grier at QB, and short ourselves another depth position on offense, it could allow us to keep more D Linemen or DB depth.

Also, depending on their health, Cockrell and Searcy aren't locks, I don't think. Someone else could take their positions.

2 hours ago, Bronn said:

Short - Poe - Love on running downs in the 3-4

Short - Poe - Cox on passing downs in the 3-4

Rotates to:

Addison - Short - Poe - Cox AND/OR Addison - Love - Short - Burns/Obada on all downs in the 4-3

I agree, Butler isn't in the immediate plans. Someone like TJ Barnes, Destiny Vaeao, or Elijah Qualls will make the team over him, unless we sign someone else.

I think our Defensive roster breaks down as this:

(4)

DT/NT: Poe, (Candidate from above or FA)*
DT/DE: Short, Love, (Candidate from above or FA)*

*NOTE - I only think we'll keep one extra guy outside of Poe, Short, and Love.

(5)

4-3 DE: Addison, Cox, Burns, Obada, Haynes

(7)

3-4 OLB/EDGE: Irvin, Miller, Burns (double duty)
4-3 OLB: Thompson
MLB: Keuchly, Carter, Smith, Norris

(9)

CB: Bradberry, Cockrell, Seymour
NB: Jackson, Elder
FS: Gaulden, Jones
SS: Reid, Searcy

That's my 25 positions on Defense right now. If we only carry Cam and Grier at QB, and short ourselves another depth position on offense, it could allow us to keep more D Linemen or DB depth.

Also, depending on their health, Cockrell and Searcy aren't locks, I don't think. Someone else could take their positions.

We usually carry 9 D-lineman for 4 spots with our 4-3, do you really think we are only going to carry 3 for 3 spots with a 3-4?

I'm thinking at least 6: Short, Poe, Love, Cox, and Butler.  That leaves one spot.  Really I could see 7.  A lot of years we have a 9-6-9 split among D-line, LBs, and secondary.  Could be 7-8-9 now.

Eight LBs:  Kuechly, Thompson, Carter, Irvin, Addison, Burns, Miller, Haynes

I'm not sure where Obada fits in yet.

I’m not trying be negative but I think the defensive front is in trouble. You’re gonna have a bunch of guys who aren’t prototypical 3-4 players. We could have a size issue and who knows if Short is gonna bounce back after a down year. If he isn’t productive the entire line is trouble. Change my mind if I’m wrong please

19 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

We usually carry 9 D-lineman for 4 spots with our 4-3, do you really think we are only going to carry 3 for 3 spots with a 3-4?

I'm thinking at least 6: Short, Poe, Love, Cox, and Butler.  That leaves one spot.  Really I could see 7.  A lot of years we have a 9-6-9 split among D-line, LBs, and secondary.  Could be 7-8-9 now.

Eight LBs:  Kuechly, Thompson, Carter, Irvin, Addison, Burns, Miller, Haynes

I'm not sure where Obada fits in yet.

Of course, there will be some interchangeable pieces. I don't buy that we're going full 3-4 conversion, and I think we're just going to hybrid a 3-4 and 4-3.

That said, re-read my post. I illustrated at least two possible 3-4 fronts, with one guy rotating out. Obviously, on passing downs, the third end lineman outside of the Short, Poe, and Love rotation will be Cox or anyone else from that Edge pool.

If you're looking at my proposed roster with old, 4-3 eyes only, we've got the 9 lineman you suggest. Short, Poe, Love, Addison, Cox, Burns, Obada, Haynes, and one of the off-chance-to-make-the-roster guys or an FA.

It isn't as simple as generic LBs anymore, either. I fully illustrated how guys like Burns, Irvin, etc. fit different roles, depending on the look we're showing and the situation. Burns, Irvin, and Miller are all even listed as DE/LB on the Panthers' own website. They will be used as both ends and LBs, I think even in both the 3-4 and the 4-3.

It is all about versatility now, and outside of the generic, defined role skillset guys like Short, Poe, and Love, we have guys that can line up at multiple positions. You can't simply say "okay we're gonna keep 9 defensive linemen, 8 LBs, and 8 DBs" anymore, because almost all our positions on defense now will be pulling multiple duties. Even in the secondary, depending on the look.

3 hours ago, Rubi said:

I’m not trying be negative but I think the defensive front is in trouble. You’re gonna have a bunch of guys who aren’t prototypical 3-4 players. We could have a size issue and who knows if Short is gonna bounce back after a down year. If he isn’t productive the entire line is trouble. Change my mind if I’m wrong please

The least of my worries. QB's going to get the ball out faster. Secondary still bothers me. I'm not a run zone to mask the lack of speed or use man on bigger less quicker faster receivers Bradberry. Reid was meh all last year. The S position still a problem. And who is our nickel?

10 hours ago, stbugs said:

If only we drafted Omenihu instead of Scarlett. SMH. We could have had a guy who’s better than Cox or Obada and could be a 3-4 or 4-3 DE. I have no idea what we were thinking although my biggest hunch is we never scouted him so didn’t see the value. Much easier to get a 280 pounder to 290, especially since he showed his pass rush at the Senior Bowl week and had a better combine than Seattle’s 1st round DE. 

Is it more likely that we straight up never scouted him or that we just had Scarlett higher on our board?

Unless we bring in a few legit 3-4 line players I think we will still run more 4-3 looks this year than I would like to see. We currently lack the depth to run a full time 3-4 defense. Guys like Haynes, Obada, and Cox aren't going to make the roster and would need to be replaced by actual 3-4 DE's. With Addison, Irvin, Burns, and Miller there may only be room for 1 other 3-4 OLB. Luke, Shaq, Carter, and Smith will probably be our MLBs.

I think we will really only see 3-4 looks on 3rd down and obvious passing downs to get Burns on the field unless we make some serious changes.

Man training camp is going to be wild.

22 hours ago, SOJA said:

DE-NT-DE

OLB-MLB-MLB-OLB

Are you referring to the two DE?

My prediction is this:

KK-POE-VB

Addison- Luke- Shaq- Irvin/Burns

Not sure why you got Pooed on. This is my line-up with Love rotating in at all three positions.

We are insanely thin at 300+ guys. Don’t have a choice but to keep Butler and, in all likely hood, start him. I think a FA body is desperately needed here.

Our 4-3 DE guys are all small at 4-3 DE. I can see them all rotating in at OLB and staying fresh but I think it is a huge stretch to think that any of them are going to rotate in at 3-4 DE. Cox could be the exception but will still have to add 15 lbs minimum.

Archived