• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are your grades for rounds 1-3?

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Cavscout said:

Burns - A

IMO Burns fits perfectly to what Rivera wants to do on defense

Little - A

With Matsko, Little has the potential to be a starter for years at LT

Grier - A+

I think Turner will have Grier up to speed quickly. Gives us a really good backup for years under Cam

grading a pick is actually quite stupid .......... but sure A's all around

nfl.com gives the Panthers the top grade in the South.

NFC South

Atlanta Falcons
Draft picks: Boston College OG Chris Lindstrom (No. 14 overall); Washington OT Kaleb McGary (No. 31 overall)
Day 1 grade: B+ 
Day 2 grade: No picks, no grade
Overall grade: B+
Draft analysis: Lindstrom will be a decade-long starter in the interior for the Falcons. Surprisingly, GM Thomas Dimitroff did not manage to move up for a defensive tackle like Ed Oliver or Christian Wilkins to meet their top need. Lindstrom is a safe pick and an upgrade over the veteran free agents the team signed, but they could have used another difference-maker on defense. Then they picked McGary, who I figured Dimitroff was targeting in the top 45 to replace former starting right tackle Ryan Schraeder. They gave up a third-round pick (No. 79) and gained a sixth-round pick (No. 203) in this deal, which isn't a terrible price to pay if McGary protects Matt Ryan as an immediate starter. In the end, they basically copied what Indianapolis did to its offensive line in the 2018 draft (Colts picked Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith). The Falcons had no picks on Friday night.

Carolina Panthers
Draft picks: Florida State DE Brian Burns (No. 16 overall); Mississippi OT Greg Little (No. 37); West Virginia QB Will Grier (No. 100)
Day 1 grade: A 
Day 2 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: Burns made himself a lot of money by adding weight for the combine. With his explosiveness and bend, adding strength to his frame will help him meet his potential. They met their need for an offensive tackle in the early second round, giving up a third-round selection to move up 10 spots and select Little. He should help protect Cam Newton and Grier, a third-round selection who will likely beat out the team's current backup QBs for a job.

New Orleans Saints
Draft pick: Texas A&M C Erik McCoy(No. 48 overall)
Day 1 grade: C 
Day 2 grade: B
Overall grade: C+
Draft analysis: It's too early to determine whether edge rusher Marcus Davenport was worthy of giving up this year's first-rounder plus a fifth-round choice last year. There wasn't another pass rusher available in the first round for which the Saints could have waited, but a wide receiver like D.J. Moore or Calvin Ridley could have helped the team in 2018 and beyond (and would have cost less draft capital). Davenport must excel as a pass rusher over the next three years to make this deal worthwhile.

Once again, the Saints traded future draft capital to land a player they wanted when they moved next year's second-round pick as part of the deal to land McCoy. He was a first-round value that they picked in the middle of Round 2, and Drew Brees needed a sturdy and smart pivot. Could they have found a center later in the draft without giving up a future second-rounder?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Draft picks: LSU LB Devin White (No. 5 overall); Central Michigan DB Sean Bunting (No. 39); Auburn CB Jamel Dean (No. 94); Kentucky S Mike Edwards (No. 99) 
Day 1 grade: B+ 
Day 2 grade: C
Overall grade: B-
Draft analysis: White is a star inside linebacker who will lead the Bucs' defense for years to come. Thankfully, his talent was not overlooked due to the diminished value that's often placed on his position. If Josh Allen becomes a star pass rusher, though, Tampa Bay fans will wonder "what if?"

Bunting could be a good player for Tampa Bay, but there were other corners of higher value available in the early second round. Dean's film was quite inconsistent, but the team thought his potential on the outside was worthy of a third-round choice. The secondary got more help with Edwards, a starter-quality safety who will compete for playing time sooner than later. However, the Bucs ignored needs at running back, wideout, and offensive line to pick those defensive backs.

2 hours ago, jtm said:

A

However, the Panthers seem to be drafting for need rather than BPA and this usually doesn’t work out well. 

that's a first round philosophy not entire draft. Not sure if you are just referring to our 1st pick or all, but wanted to call that out.

Round 1 - Brian Burns: A... Burns was my dream pick going into the draft, leading up to 8:00 PM he was getting buzz to go as high as #6. Never dreamed he'd fall all the way to 16. He's an absolute animal that will only improve as he continues to work. I really don't think there is much separating him from Josh Allen who some thought was going top 3. Phenomenal pick, I think he'll be a franchise-changing talent.

Round 2 - Greg Little: C+... Huge fan of Little the player. Had he fallen to 47 this would be a B+ or A-. I just think we gave up a lot to get him, but I understand the logic. He probably wasn't falling to 47 as there was a bit of a run on OL early in the night. Apparently we are huge fans of his, and I see why. Traditional LT that has an enormous ceiling. A lot of his weaknesses seem to be fixable, but we still gave up a lot. If he turns into a staple LT, the trade obviously becomes worth it. But right now this is a C+, not because I don't like Little though. We just gave up a lot.

Round 3 - Will Grier: B-... Again, love the player. Grier was in a deadlock with Haskins for my #2 QB in this draft, he's an absolute gamer and I think has starting potential. They could easily justify this pick by saying he was BPA and I really wouldn't argue with that. If Cam gets hurt again we now have solid insurance, or if he doesn't but Grier still flashes we could flip him for a nice pick in a few seasons. But that's just the thing... in an ideal world, Grier never sees the field for us. So we just spent a top 100 selection on a player that you're hoping never plays. That's why it's a B- for me. 

Burns A,..

Little,.. A 

Grier F just because I really feel there were great players there that would help us win now. If Cam goes down again,.. I’ll do my best to hope Grier proves me wrong and takes the team to a Super Bowl ha.

3 hours ago, jtm said:

For people that don’t like the Grier pick, less than 25% of 3rd round picks ever become starters and the numbers get even lower after the 3rd round. 

After the first two rounds, most of the picks are for depth and many don’t make the team.  If the Panthers can get a legit back up w a 3rd round pick on a rookie contract, this is a huge win. If Grier is starter material, the Panthers just won the lottery. If the guy is garbage, you cut him in a couple years and lose very little. 

25% is a massive number and if the percentage  drops off after that then the decision was even more stupid

The last thing  the panthers needed was a "legit backup" who can "do some  nice things" and "come and win some games for you" on the way to 6-10 and the 15th pick in the draft while you miss out on an actual franchise QB

I don't want a "starting material" player playing QB for my franchise. 

Archived