• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select QB Will Grier in Round 3

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Not for this team with the current leadership. 

Realistically speaking, you weren't getting a starting quality safety in the later rounds.

Now with that said, I do understand people being frustrated at the lack of attention to the safety spot. Not a lot you can do about it though. Ron Rivera just does not value the position.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Realistically speaking, you weren't getting a starting quality safety in the later rounds.

Now with that said, I do understand people being frustrated at the lack of attention to the safety spot. Not a lot you can do about it though. Ron Rivera just does not value the position.

It's real upsetting to see a mild reach on a talented but clearly "project" guy like Little in the second round and then to see every starting caliber FS get drafted between our pick and what WOULD have been our top 3rd round pick. That's what I don't get. We trade up for a guy that is unlikely to see significant time(unless there is an injury) for the next season(or 2 or 3) but pass on guys that could be day one starters at FS. It just does not make sense to me, even with OT/LT being a much more valuable position in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It's real upsetting to see a mild reach on a talented but clearly "project" guy like Little in the second round and then to see every starting caliber FS get drafted between our pick and what WOULD have been our top 3rd round pick. That's what I don't get. We trade up for a guy that is unlikely to see significant time(unless there is an injury) for the next season(or 2 or 3) but pass on guys that could be day one starters at FS. It just does not make sense to me, even with OT/LT being a much more valuable position in the NFL.

We know from Hurney and Rivera's comments that they went into this draft feeling there were only three real positions of need. They identified those as pass rusher, tackle and backup quarterback. Once they filled those three spots, everything else was just BPA from their draft board.

I'm not a fan of the approach either, but I'm resigned that as long as Ron Rivera is coaching here, that's just how it's gonna be.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We know from Hurney and Rivera's comments that they went into this draft feeling there were only three real positions of need. They identified those as pass rusher, tackle and backup quarterback. Once they filled those three spots, everything else was just BPA from their draft board.

I'm not a fan of the approach either, but I'm resigned that as long as Ron Rivera is coaching here, that's just how it's gonna be.

Well, I definitely disagree about "positions of need." We had more than that, which I am sure will become pretty apparent during the season. Furthermore, BPA seems like a pretty big fail when you draft a RB in the 5th that was very likely headed to the UDFA's.

I would make the case for Kyle Allen as the second in line after Cam as he played well against the division rivals and NO fielded a lot of the starters for a stretch. His injury was not on his throwing arm so it doesn’t matter.   

The new guy can learn and we ll see how it goes. 

2 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

I would make the case for Kyle Allen as the second in line after Cam as he played well against the division rivals and NO fielded a lot of the starters for a stretch. His injury was not on his throwing arm so it doesn’t matter.   

The new guy can learn and we ll see how it goes. 

You can try, but the reality is that the team wouldn't have used a third round pick on a backup QB if they felt they already had one who was good enough.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You can try, but the reality is that the team wouldn't have used a third round pick on a backup QB if they felt they already had one who was good enough.

Yeah...I think most of us were thinking the same thing heading into 2015.  However I do get a similar feeling...sort of like were going through a baby rebuild. However if I had to look at trends to make this decision I'd say this; Weve had a winning season every year since 2012. We always over achieve when were supposed to suck.  So I'll maintain an interest. Even though I feel like the team is definitely in a state of flux and might be mediocre especially if Cam's health concerns are still an issue.

Edit: 

Didnt mean to quote you Mr. Scot.  Meant to quote ickmule.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which is not a glowing review for Allen but, IMO, he is still likely a better potential NFL backup QB than Grier. I think Grier has a lot more flaws than a guy like Finley(who went in the 4th) but I still look at Finley as a career backup. It is just hard to justify taking a QB in such a weak QB class. Next season is supposedly a stacked QB class, maybe snag a 2nd-4th rounded there that will likely be a much better prospect than Grier. 

I know everyone wants to jerk off all over the "local kid" storyline but how often has that worked out for us? 

23 minutes ago, Panfan35 said:

Wasn’t Russell Wilson a 3 rd round pick who knows till they get on the field this guy might be the second coming drew  brees fast release accurate passer holding judgment for later

Russell got gigged for his height(dumb in hindsight). Grier was not even close to as good of a college QB as Wilson. From an accomplishment or skill level standpoint.

The one thing I will give Grier is that college completion percentage is a fairly good predictor or NFL success, and Grier was an accurate college QB.

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Which is not a glowing review for Allen but, IMO, he is still likely a better potential NFL backup QB than Grier. I think Grier has a lot more flaws than a guy like Finley(who went in the 4th) but I still look at Finley as a career backup. It is just hard to justify taking a QB in such a weak QB class. Next season is supposedly a stacked QB class, maybe snag a 2nd-4th rounded there that will likely be a much better prospect than Grier. 

I know everyone wants to jerk off all over the "local kid" storyline but how often has that worked out for us? 

You may turn out to be right, but you might not.

As it is with any of our draft picks, the team - and in this case, the Turners in particular - have fully evaluated Grier's potential and believe he can succeed in the pros. They could also be wrong, and if they are, the consequences for them are going to be a lot more severe than just looking bad on a message board.

58 minutes ago, Panfan35 said:

Wasn’t Russell Wilson a 3 rd round pick who knows till they get on the field this guy might be the second coming drew  brees fast release accurate passer holding judgment for later

Yep can't wait to prove these people wrong, because they know nothing about football. Grier will be the real deal.

Archived