• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select QB Will Grier in Round 3

Jeremy Igo

33 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Because we took the best QB in the draft with what amounts to a fourth-round pick?

ok

Best QB in the draft?  Haha. 

Mainly I hate them because we have two good backups on the roster and have massive holes at almost every other position. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, you don't tank the season for 52 other players because one goes down, not even the starting quarterback.

Actually, you don't tank...ever.

No, you don't tank ever, and, the odds of Grier saving your season if Cam goes down are so low that drafting him in the 3rd for that reason just seems silly to me. 

You just drafted a player with a top hundred pick you're praying doesn't see the field. That history shows, if he does play won't be effective. Sure, you can show me Wilson as a 3rd rounder who was effective immediately, I can show you 15 Eric Zeiers as 3rd rounders who weren't. Most rookie QBs struggle at first, no matter where they're drafted.

Panthers just drafted a player in the top hundred that doesn't make the team better now and can't realistically be relied upon to be effective if called upon. You could draft any other position in the 3rd round and expect some contribution, even significant contributions in the first year.

If Grier impresses and gets traded off for a high pick, doesn't help your team for at least two years.

And, stop with the Patriots comparisons. One the pats have 3-4 extra picks a year, they can afford to spend the capital like that, and two, and more importantly, nobody else is Belichick- nobody has been able to duplicate what he's done, he's a  true outlier and you shouldn't expect anybody else to make that work.

If Grier can play well enough this year to win a game or two if Cam goes down or he becomes a true franchise QB, then yeah, great pick. Think the odds of either one of those happening are really low.

1 minute ago, Riv said:

Mainly I hate them because we have two good backups on the roster and have massive holes at almost every other position. 

what defines good?

id like my backups to be able to not go down with injury after one or 2 hits, but that's just me

2 minutes ago, Asurfaholic said:

what defines good?

id like my backups to be able to not go down with injury after one or 2 hits, but that's just me

Basically any QB other than Cam would’ve suffered that elbow injury that Heinecke had. Just bad luck. 

Allen looked good too. 

Grier was a dumb pick. 

9 hours ago, steven8989 said:

Exactly idk if anyone else noticed but Pats was right behind us and when we picked Grier they traded their pick. He was not lasting till 115. Way to go Hurney!!!

Will Grier - good enough for Norv Turner and Bellichick but not for half the football geniuses on the huddle.  Who would have thought it ?

22 minutes ago, Riv said:

You think Taylor Heinicke is a good backup? Hahahahaha

Good guy, but he’s a third-string talent. Allen is an unknown. Grier is better. 

22 minutes ago, falconidae said:

If Grier can play well enough this year to win a game or two if Cam goes down or he becomes a true franchise QB, then yeah, great pick. Think the odds of either one of those happening are really low.

And that’s entirely because of who you root for, so no logic is applied

10 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I understand. They went according to the draft board. Only thing annoying about this pick is that the racist element of this fanbase will want WG starting the sec Cam turns the ball over. 

What about all the racists that show up due to Cam? The ones who only root for him because he’s black? The ones who would rather see the Panthers fail as long as a black man stays at QB? Is rooting for someone just because they’re black no similar to rooting for someone to take his place because they’re white?

More of those than the very small percent of racists you’re talking about wanting to replace Cam simply because of no other reason than being black.

In fact I’ve never met such a fan. When Cam is clearly failing you see people want the back up in but that’s normal when a player is failing. Still for those that understand football just a little, which is the majority fan base, we aren’t either.

People need to stop seeing or hearing one fan say something from either side and thinking it’s some representations of a large group of a fan base, as much as you want it to be for some unknown reason, it isn’t reality.

Instead of looking out into our stadium and seeing thousands of Cam jerseys worn by every race, cheering him on game after game you ignore that and peer off into the distance at an old, outdated white fan wanting the back up in and whine about him annoying you and representative of a big portion of the fan base and relate him to anyone else wanting to see a back up and I wonder why. Lack of education.

I think grier is a legit prospect and actually good value at 100 my problem is we have so many other needs. 

Really need to pray we can walk away with a safety, guard and NB today. Would also be happy with a DT 

11 hours ago, ncfan said:

Great Value pick

Just with Chauncey Gardner-johnson sitting there, I wouldve jumped on him and taken the risk on Grier falling to rd 4

Gaulden or Collin Jones very well could be our starting FS and thats down right scary

I agree.  I think they fell in love with Grier--many teams commented on his intelligence.  IF Grier fixes his mechanics (I think he will) and can learn for a while, he could be a good fit in this offense.   Just get the ball to CMC, Samuel, and Moore.

Archived