• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select QB Will Grier in Round 3

Jeremy Igo

On NFL.com, Greg Rosenthal lists the Panthers as a Day Two "winner" with this comment on Will Grier.

Panthers' quarterback depth: Don't expect guys like Kyle Allen or Taylor Heinicke to start a game at quarterback for the Panthers again in 2019. After the team's depth behind Cam Newton was exposed late last season, Carolina made a savvy pick of West Virginia's Will Grier late in the third round.

Please, let's avoid the overwrought conversation about what this means for Newton's future coming off shoulder surgery. The Patriots have spent four picks on quarterbacks taken higher than Grier in the Tom Brady era because quarterbacks, even backups, are that valuable. If Grier outplays his draft slot, he'll be a great extra asset to have.

Carolina Panthers
Draft picks: Florida State DE Brian Burns (No. 16 overall); Mississippi OT Greg Little (No. 37); West Virginia QB Will Grier (No. 100)
Day 1 grade: A 
Day 2 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: Burns made himself a lot of money by adding weight for the combine. With his explosiveness and bend, adding strength to his frame will help him meet his potential. They met their need for an offensive tackle in the early second round, giving up a third-round selection to move up 10 spots and select Little. He should help protect Cam Newton and Grier, a third-round selection who will likely beat out the team's current backup QBs for a job.

NFL.com

This is just what the media and some panthers fan wanted, to stir sh*t up and create a controversy with Cam, this Is the quickest excuse possible to get rid of Cam.

But...but....but... the patriots, alright now name another team who’s drafted a QB in the third round, espicially a QB that’s under 30? Go ahead. 

The falcons are about to have an O-line full of first round picks, meanwhile the panthers not a single first round lineman.

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

This is just what the media and some panthers fan wanted, to stir sh*t up and create a controversy with Cam, this Is the quickest excuse possible to get rid of Cam.

But...but....but... the patriots, alright now name another team who’s drafted a QB in the third round, espicially a QB that’s under 30? Go ahead. 

The falcons are about to have an O-line full of first round picks, meanwhile the panthers not a single first round lineman.

Carolina didn't draft Grier in the first though, and to your other point I have no idea what you're trying say. The Steelers, Browns (twice), Giants, 49ers, Patriots (twice), Jets, Saints, Rams, and Raiders have all invested 2nd or 3rd round picks at QB in the last 6 drafts. That list gets longer if you extend to the 4th round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Regarding OL Atlanta's line kind of sucked last year with the 1st rounders they already had. Moton and Little are from the 2nd round with Turner and Williams the third. Paradis is very good and was a 7th rd pick, signed through FA just like Mack in ATL so that's effectively the same move. Hell, Norwell was undrafted. I'm again not really seeing your point.

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

The Steelers, Giants , and Packers have all drafted several quarterbacks over the years despite having franchise QBs , and not just in recent years.  

Look at our recent history of guys drafted in the 3rd round over the last few years :  gaulden, daeshon hall, Daryl Worley, trai turner, Terrell McLain, Sione fua, armanti edwards.  Other than turner history shows we aren’t missing anything by upgrading the talent behind cam.

I'm honestly fine with the Grier pick. I would've preferred a potential day 1 contributor but with the qb the most important position in football, you can certainly justify an investment for a good backup. The value is somewhere between decent to excellent depending on who you ask. I was worried when there were rumblings of taking Grier in the 2nd but the comp 3rd was where I think value seemed justified if the Panthers didn't love anyone else available. 

I was most frustrated we gave up a bit too much to move up for Little. But if we did give up the comp 3rd instead, don't you guys think we would have taken Grier at 77 anyway? So I guess even that didn't hurt us.

12 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Carolina didn't draft Grier in the first though, and to your other point I have no idea what you're trying say. The Steelers, Browns (twice), Giants, 49ers, Patriots (twice), Jets, Saints, Rams, and Raiders have all invested 2nd or 3rd round picks at QB in the last 6 drafts. That list gets longer if you extend to the 4th round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Regarding OL Atlanta's line kind of sucked last year with the 1st rounders they already had. Moton aandLittle are from the 2nd round with Turner and Williams the third. Paradis is very good and was a 7th rd pick, signed through FA just like Mack in ATL so that's effectively the same move. Hell, Norwell was undrafted. I'm again not really seeing your point.

Half the teams you named didn’t have franchise QBs, the others have QBs in the mid to late 30s

Again the question still stands name a team (non patriots) that has a franchise QB under 30 who’s drafted a QB in third round. Go ahead and try

Also my point with Atlanta is that they are not wasting early round picks in QBs, instead they keep building around that bum Ryan

8 minutes ago, mcsmoak said:

The Steelers, Giants , and Packers have all drafted several quarterbacks over the years despite having franchise QBs , and not just in recent years.  

Look at our recent history of guys drafted in the 3rd round over the last few years :  gaulden, daeshon hall, Daryl Worley, trai turner, Terrell McLain, Sione fua, armanti edwards.  Other than turner history shows we aren’t missing anything by upgrading the talent behind cam.

Ben was in his 30s, Hundley was a 5th round pick and Eli is washed  in his 30s and the giants are not a team to model yourself after.

Funny to see all these fanboys getting their panties in a wad over this pick.

The Patriots have taken so many qbs in the second or third and continue to win Super Bowls.

He isn’t replacing Cam, he was BPA and we need a backup. I know these fanboys don’t have much football knowledge vs. waking up to Cams tweets, new style ideas and ranting at new ‘haters/doubters/racists’ they found from 5 hours of googling comments from 7 years ago but it was good pick and this draft actually turned out better on paper than a lot of Hurneys before.

As usual people here are so insecure about Cam. Grier was drafted to be a back up and insurance in the short term if Cam isn’t healthy. If the guy turns out to be a starting caliber QB then the panthers will be in an enviable position. 

Archived