• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select QB Will Grier in Round 3

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, cookinbrak said:

Because he said 3rd rd qbs are never drafted and start, yet Russell Wilson started Day One of his rookie season, and every year since. So it has happened. Just like your eventual comprehension of this concept, it is possible.

And it’s possible to find gold in your backyard, doesn’t mean it’s likely. And again, idk what Grier’s talent has to do with anything. He’ll always be worse than cam, never going to start. Wasted pick unless someone gets really impressed by his preseason and offers a 2nd

22 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Loss of trust, lied? Lol WTF was he supposed to say? Cam is a warrior and team leader, everybody and their mother already knew he was banged up but he was still willing to play like any athlete and the coaching staff wasnt smart enough to make a decision to sit him earlier cuz they were worried about their jobs. No player is gonna take themself out when the team is in need. I dont even know what you are even getting at with that response. You must be a new fan.

New fan? lmfao I've been watching football longer than most Huddlers have been alive. And leaders recognize when it's time for someone else to carry the weight even if only for a game or two or six because that is what the team needs. I don't trust that Cam's shoulder is going to be good to go the entire season. I certainly hope it is. The possibility of repeating last season was lessened with Grier. If I was a new fan, I'd be lamenting (as many are) that we will be eternal losers when Cam doesn't/can't play which just isn't true.

5 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

And it’s possible to find gold in your backyard, doesn’t mean it’s likely. And again, idk what Grier’s talent has to do with anything. He’ll always be worse than cam, never going to start. Wasted pick unless someone gets really impressed by his preseason and offers a 2nd

I don't doubt that at all. He's nobody. He's Jesse Palmer. A "celebrity" in a world where people are famous for being famous, not because they did something or have a talent.

We drafted a Kardashian. The analysts even said it had more to do with the recievers.

Pick 100

Carolina Panthers – QB Will Grier, West Virginia

The Panthers get an absolute steal of a value pick in Will Grier. He’s also one of Steve Palazzolo’s favorite QBs in this draft and the highest rated player left on the PFF Big Board at 24. Grier is a rhythm thrower who has the ability to develop behind Cam Newton.

• Tied for 2nd-highest overall grade in the class
  • No. 2 passing grade among draft-class quarterbacks
  • No. 6 adjusted completion % in the class
  • No. 3 passer rating from a clean pocket among class QBs

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pffs-live-analysis-of-the-2019-nfl-draft

I miss the era before the last 10 years when social media and "film access" has led every other fan to proclaim they know more than anyone else out there.

Fans have always disliked certain picks, but at least for the most part, back then fans didnt act like they truly knew more than the people who did the work to pick players for a living.

Year in and year out people are reminded that the draft is in many respects a crapshoot and yet so many "fans" act (and I have come to believe) they truly know better and could do better.

I think this draft has been great so far. I think we addressed our biggest weaknesses early on with 2 potential immediate starters and a legitimate backup QB. I also think a late 3rd rounder being used for a backup at the most important position on the team is worth it. Literally every other team in the league has drafted a QB since 2011 except us. Are they all stupid too?

Does my liking this draft mean anything? Absolutely not. The only thing that matters is how they play on the field.

FWIW, I didnt like the draft last year and it worked out well.

None of us know. And I actually enjoy the debate and dont expect any fan to be a blind homer.

I just hate the absolutism some fans have today because they think they have some special insight because they don't.

Unless you are watching the film and performing the job of an actual scout, you aren't "in-the-know." 

Grier was a damn good pick at 100. Real GMs dont have the luxury of the what-if game.

I would hope every Panthers fan wants Cam to be healthy all year. But a real GM has to have a legitimate contingency plan beyond 2 undrafted guys.

Even if Cam stays healthy all year doesn't make it a bad pick.

The season still goes on if your starting QB gets hurt, and beyond not being fair to the fans, it's not fair to the other men on the team who are expected to out their bodies on the line not to do everything you can to still have a shot at winning.

Our backup QB situation was arguably the worst in the league. Now it is at least respectable.

2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

If we're worried about what will happen if Cam goes down then if that scenario ever happened we should've immediately decided to tank and aim for a QB high in the next draft.

Again, you don't tank the season for 52 other players because one goes down, not even the starting quarterback.

Actually, you don't tank...ever.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Again, you don't tank the season for 52 other players because one goes down, not even the starting quarterback.

Actually, you don't tank...ever.

Exactly... those 52 other guys have contracts, incentives, pride, etc on the line. Everything you would expect a professional to have

No coach/GM can ask them to give it their all if their not doing the same

Getting a legitimate backup was absolutely necessary 

2 hours ago, Trill OG said:

Yeah Hurney said we signed him for "depth".lol

In other words he is not a Cam replacement, just a backup until we find out if Cam is done. That's when he will draft the real replacement.

I'm not sure what you think "depth" means.

Archived