• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select QB Will Grier in Round 3

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

Puzzling?

Needed Pass rush? Drafted Brian Burns. Protect Cam? Draft Greg Little. What if Cam gets hurt again?! Draft Will Grier.

This has been nothing but an obvious draft so far.

Burns I am skeptical of being more than a situational pass rusher, but he is a talented guy. Not who I would have taken.

Little is just not anything more than an NFL backup, IMO. Same with Grier. 

I REALLY hope I am wrong but it appears as if we turned 4 picks into a situational pass rusher and two depth players. If I am right, this was a Gettleman-esque draft.

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I have been saying all pre draft that this is clearly a "save my job" pick. Rivera and Hurney are focused on making the playoffs next year and not necessarily improving the team for long term success. A playoff birth probably keeps them around, if Cam goes down Grier is just insurance to say " hey we tried to be prepared this time, we were trying our hardest to win!" When tanking for a top QB would be best at that point.

Even if the season goes south and cam is done Grier is still not gonna be the QB of the future. Cardinals just took a QB in the top 10 back to back years, why the fug should we even think about banking on Grier?

Are you serious? I certainly expect that the team (including Rivera & Hurney) is focused on making the playoffs next year. Tepper sure is. The only draft pick to maneuver for is 32nd. Period.

I love and respect the man Cam Newton. His skills, his attitude, his competitive spirit. But he lied last season, saying he was good to go after hurting his shoulder again. So there is a loss of trust right now and it needed to be addressed. I was surprised by the pick but I'm not dismayed. And what the hell do the Cardinals' picks have to do with us and our picks?

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Burns I am skeptical of being more than a situational pass rusher, but he is a talented guy. Not who I would have taken.

Little is just not anything more than an NFL backup, IMO. Same with Grier. 

I REALLY hope I am wrong but it appears as if we turned 4 picks into a situational pass rusher and two depth players. If I am right, this was a Gettleman-esque draft.

It is about development and projection. We have the right situation coaching-wise for every guy we have selected. Burns put on 20 pounds before the combine and lit it up. Little met with our coaches no less than 4 times and Matsko has shown he can mold gold from crap. And lastly, Norv is a QB guru. If it weren't for the staff we have on deck I might agree with you. But we have done our homework and we have the coaches necessary to bring out the potential they have. All of our picks have high ceilings.

Just focusing on Grier the prospect at 100 it's insane value. He was probably my BPA there except maybe CGJ. I just still think the third round is too early to draft a player that won't be playing this season, we have so many holes on this roster. A DB or Renell Wren there probably could have made an impact this season. Oh well, we pick again pretty soon.

Again I think Grier is an ultra talented QB, I really do. Probably in a deadlock with Haskins for my #2 QB in this draft. I just question it because he won't be playing this season

5 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Norv : "you can thank Scott for that."

Scott Turner pushed for this, Dad went along. 

Did Turner have to sign of on the pick? Like, It was decided ahead of time that it belonged to the offensive coaches like they do with a lot of these OCs and DCs with some juice 

1 minute ago, Gazi said:

Did Turner have to sign of on the pick? Like, was it predetermine ahead of time that it belonged to the offensive coaches?

No idea, but Norv's goal going back to his Minnesota days has been to groom Scott for an OC role. That's why it all fell apart when Minnesota brought in Shurmur. What better way to pave Scott's path than letting him pick the next QB. 

3 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

It is about development and projection. We have the right situation coaching-wise for every guy we have selected. Burns put on 20 pounds before the combine and lit it up. Little met with our coaches no less than 4 times and Matsko has shown he can mold gold from crap. And lastly, Norv is a QB guru. If it weren't for the staff we have on deck I might agree with you. But we have done our homework and we have the coaches necessary to bring out the potential they have. All of our picks have high ceilings.

Burns was not a guy I was that interested in but his athletic prowess will allow me to give him a shot.

Little is just bad and much, much more so considering we gave up another pick to get him. He tested poorly athletically and he is not a technically sound player, IMO. Just a bad pick, IMO.

Grier is fine for a 2nd or 3rd string QB, but I just don't understand why that is a priority when wr still have other needs. Furthermore, I am not convinced he is better than Kyle Allen. If that DOES end up being the case, it will be a wasted pick. 

Burns has a high ceiling, I will agree. Little and Grier are not players with high ceilings, IMO. Both were largely considered 1st round talents that slid considerably once they got a more detailed evaluation by teams. 

28 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

Are you serious? I certainly expect that the team (including Rivera & Hurney) is focused on making the playoffs next year. Tepper sure is. The only draft pick to maneuver for is 32nd. Period.

I love and respect the man Cam Newton. His skills, his attitude, his competitive spirit. But he lied last season, saying he was good to go after hurting his shoulder again. So there is a loss of trust right now and it needed to be addressed. I was surprised by the pick but I'm not dismayed. And what the hell do the Cardinals' picks have to do with us and our picks?

Loss of trust, lied? Lol WTF was he supposed to say? Cam is a warrior and team leader, everybody and their mother already knew he was banged up but he was still willing to play like any athlete and the coaching staff wasnt smart enough to make a decision to sit him earlier cuz they were worried about their jobs. No player is gonna take themself out when the team is in need. I dont even know what you are even getting at with that response. You must be a new fan.

1 hour ago, cookinbrak said:

Because he said 3rd rd QBs never start. See the words in the box above the post? That's called a quote. You use those to show what you are reacting to, and what you are referencing. Anything else you need help understanding?

Ok and Grier won’t be starting either, not sure what your point is. There’s also a reason 3rd round qbs usually don’t start.

and I literally quoted you/ that guy. No idea what you’re talking about

29 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Just focusing on Grier the prospect at 100 it's insane value. He was probably my BPA there except maybe CGA. I just still think the third round is too early to draft a player that won't be playing this season, we have so many holes on this roster. A DB or Renell Wren there probably could have made an impact this season. Oh well, we pick again pretty soon.

Again I think Grier is an ultra talented QB, I really do. Probably in a deadlock with Haskins for my #2 QB in this draft. I just question it because he won't be playing this season

We don't really know if Grier plays this year or not. Let's hope he doesn't have to.

5 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

Ok and Grier won’t be starting either, not sure what your point is. There’s also a reason 3rd round qbs usually don’t start.

and I literally quoted you/ that guy. No idea what you’re talking about

Because he said 3rd rd qbs are never drafted and start, yet Russell Wilson started Day One of his rookie season, and every year since. So it has happened. Just like your eventual comprehension of this concept, it is possible.

Archived