• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers select QB Will Grier in Round 3

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, davos said:

He was also a huge recruit coming out of school and has the front-runner mentality.  I honestly think we got the best QB in this draft.  I'm a huge fan of this, hate Hurney and adore Cam.  I like the winners who have the gunner mentality.  Not these pussies who measure up to prototype standards (I.E. the Gabbert, Lockers, Jones, Tannehills, Smiths, etc.)  

Also, the people getting bent out of shape over our safeties are obviously ignoring every draft since Grant/Minter. 

This draft is mint seeing the board reaction and when the results are fine.  Gaulden didn't do a damn thing last year so don't act like you were expecting a day 1 starter.  We got a top-5 QB in a draft.     

The Pats drafted Cassell, Mallett, Jimmy G. and guess what? That team and fanbase survived because those guys glimmered when needed but had a franchise QB.  Then, they go out and get max value for them.  Acting like this is not valuable under any circumstances is not valid.  

So why is it that he's just now finishing school at 24? What exactly happen with him?

6 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

And as everyone knows, literally all great QBs were draft in the first round 

My response had nothing to do with what Grier will ultimately do or not do at the NFL level. It was just addressing a ridiculously inaccurate statement about Grier "rocketing up boards during the draft process" when it would honestly be more accurate to say the opposite.

5 minutes ago, Gazi said:

You mean like that old QB still starting for Pittsburgh?

You missed the sarcasm. The hits Cam has taken over his career are equivalent of a running back. 

You also missed the intention of my first post. Grier is going to get time at some point. Our best hope is he balls out and we turn him into a 1st round pick. Meaning, Cam is still our QB. A Matt Cassell/Pats/Chiefs situation. 

10 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

And as everyone knows, literally all great QBs were draft in the first round 

I'll try to break it down when I have time, but it's been borne out most playoff QBs are first rounders. The ones that aren't are statistically outliers. 

Carolina just got the steal of the draft, Will Grier, who'll be much better than Daniel Jones. BUT Cam Newton is only 29. Unless the Panthers think Cam is going to have more & more injury problems, I don't get this. Grier is no long-term backup. He's 2nd best QB in this draft.

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

Oh poo.

Then transferred, came back, was tested routinely and still cut down defenses with an agressive gunner mentality.  Not speaking to you on this but I'm a freaking Hokie.  I should hate every WVU guy out there, but for some reason, I just see a winner in this kid.  I don't know what it is but if we're in a predicament where we need to win without Cam again, then this kid can do it.  With Cam and Luke, I will always believe we have a SB shot and having the ability to continue winning for a game or two if something freaky happens is huge for playoff scenarios.   

Carolina Panthers – QB Will Grier, West Virginia

The Panthers get an absolute steal of a value pick in Will Grier. He’s also one of Steve Palazzolo’s favorite QBs in this draft and the highest rated player left on the PFF Big Board at 24. Grier is a rhythm thrower who has the ability to develop behind Cam Newton.

• Tied for 2nd-highest overall grade in the class
  • No. 2 passing grade among draft-class quarterbacks
  • No. 6 adjusted completion % in the class
  • No. 3 passer rating from a clean pocket among class QBs

WILLG-1024x576.jpg

Archived